The RB situation

What to do about the RB situation?

• Total voters

Neymessi

I have absolutely no idea why lucho started losing faith in vidal. In the few games vidal played he looked really really good. Some would say it was not as good as they would have expected but even they wouldn't say he was bad or that he deserved to be benched or sold.

Chainsaw

Killahead
I was actually quite unimpressed by Vidal in a few matches he has played last season. Not only he looked rusty due to the lack of playing time, he looked unconfident in his runs and decision making. But I hope he shows more drive and desire this season to prove he is worthy of succeeding Dani Alves at Barca.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Having Vidal and Roberto as the only Right Backs is a gamble, signing a quality RB is as important as getting the fourth striker maybe more. Vidal and Roberto are not even natural full backs.

gasgas

And even more important is getting a top quality starter CM who will rest and then replace Iniesta/Rakitic
They're both getting old and tired

Trickykid

And even more important is getting a top quality starter CM who will rest and then replace Iniesta/Rakitic
They're both getting old and tired

How exciting, please do elaborate on our just above average midfield... In a relevant thread, perhaps.

Trickykid

I'm genuinely curious here. Those of you who believe we should go all in on a top rb this window, who would you pick? Let's try to stay away from fantasy football and actually be realistic, meaning we need to factor in both budget and obtainability. For example, considering the ridiculous sums being thrown around in the EPL, I doubt Arsenal would let Bellerin leave for less than 50m this window...

Ahmedd

I'm genuinely curious here. Those of you who believe we should go all in on a top rb this window, who would you pick? Let's try to stay away from fantasy football and actually be realistic, meaning we need to factor in both budget and obtainability. For example, considering the ridiculous sums being thrown around in the EPL, I doubt Arsenal would let Bellerin leave for less than 50m this window...

Azpilicueta might have been a good option, but if we have a choice to make because of money issues i'd rather go for a backup striker, you are right. If we manage to make extra money by selling some players though, we have to buy a true RB, even if he is cheap, just to avoid as much risks as we can.

Trickykid

Azpilicueta might have been a good option, but if we have a choice to make because of money issues i'd rather go for a backup striker, you are right. If we manage to make extra money by selling some players though, we have to buy a true RB, even if he is cheap, just to avoid as much risks as we can.

Would Azpilicueta cut it offensively? I know he's good in defense, but considering how much of our game that depends on ball playing backs, I'm afraid it would do more harm than good to deploy a more traditional rb like him.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
That's precisely the issue. I think if/when we sign a RB, we should go for a very good player/someone with the potential of becoming one of the best in the position.

And that will cost.

Bellerin and Cancelo been the names mentioned the most. But neither Arsenal or Valencia will let go of them right now. Unless Roberto/Vidal shows they'll cement themselves in the upcoming season, we've got to shop next summer.

Bellerin's contract runs out in 2019 and Cancelo's 2021. And there should obviously be other options too. But the most obvious one is Bellerin and we do love Arsenal players don't we? If he doesn't extend his contract then I'd say we got a good chance of getting him next year with two years left, whether that'd be a good move or not is another question, but not that many options out there either.

Roberto would obviously play where he's told to play, but he still remains adamant he is first and foremost a midfielder. Hopefully Aleix will fight and has sorted out his issues with Lucho. The former usually did well when he played at the RB position, but there's a different thing having to play there the entire season with all the pressure and demands of the position, contributing actively in attack and defence.

Last edited:

Ahmedd

Would Azpilicueta cut it offensively? I know he's good in defense, but considering how much of our game that depends on ball playing backs, I'm afraid it would do more harm than good to deploy a more traditional rb like him.

i don't know if we can compare them, but Juanfran isn't that great offensively and during Euro i don't remember him being that bad. And tbh what worries me most is the defense issues we had with our right wing (Remember that goal during 2nd el classico when Marcelo torn our defense apart ?). Will it be better with Sergi and Vidal ? But like I already said if we don't have a choice f*ck it, even Jordi Alba isn't that good in defense.

Trickykid

i don't know if we can compare them, but Juanfran isn't that great offensively and during Euro i don't remember him being that bad. And tbh what worries me most is the defense issues we had with our right wing (Remember that goal during 2nd el classico when Marcelo torn our defense apart ?). Will it be better with Sergi and Vidal ? But like I already said if we don't have a choice f*ck it, even Jordi Alba isn't that good in defense.

I really thought Juanfran stifled their game too often when he was in possession, and considering the influence someone like Dani could have one our entire game, I just can't imagine a Juanfran/Azpilicueta type of defender in our team.
Sure, a more defensively sound defender than Alba and Dani would be fantastic, but not at the cost of offensive contribution. Our possession game and use of full backs to create width and chances, would take too much of a dent, as I see it.

Ahmedd

I really thought Juanfran stifled their game too often when he was in possession, and considering the influence someone like Dani could have one our entire game, I just can't imagine a Juanfran/Azpilicueta type of defender in our team.
Sure, a more defensively sound defender than Alba and Dani would be fantastic, but not at the cost of offensive contribution. Our possession game and use of full backs to create width and chances, would take too much of a dent, as I see it.

Yeah you're right.. They tried to anticipate things by getting Douglas and Vidal but it didn't turn that well. Like [MENTION=15376]DonAK[/MENTION] said we might as well wait till we get a proper heir for Dani.

FC B

Non of the above.

Barca had to plan this so very forseeable situation of the rb spot long time ago since Alves wasn't getting any younger and any better. Surely Barca made another important mistake letting a key spot like this uncovered. Ofc the market is poor in affordable options and moreover in eligible solutions for Barca's style and quality of play. The board made another serious error with this and now they find themselves unable to pay a fortune for a good replacement and they chose to start the season with a very unreliable Vidal and an experimental Bob, very poor management skills.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
The last time we needed a player to rely upon for a long period in the Cb position, it took them 7 years to sign one.... Let's us see how long they will take to sign a Rb

Home of Barca Fans