Lucas Digne

FCBfan22

Watching him in this match, he seems to have taken a page from the Jordi Alba book. He is playing very advanced up the field, while Sidibe is a bit more reserved in the RB. It also needs to be pointed out, that all of his crosses so far have found their target (Giroud), but he either missed or comitted a foul.

clemente

He is just inept offensively, I don't understand what is he doing as a LB, should switch permanently to CB or some other position already. And why did we buy a fullback like that when our style is all about our fullbacks bombing on the wings...

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
I do not get what kind of issues some of you have with certain players.
Digne was bought to be a back up and so far he has done a solid job. No one will ask him to play against the likes of Real or Atletico and if he will have to do it you can be quiet sure he will not look totally out of his debt like Mathieu e.g.

Same thing with a guy like Rafinha. People want him sold despite him being a La Masia kid and showing good performances for the team. With him you could argue about his injuries but that is another story.

Anyway, guys like Arda, Gomes or Paco are the ones who cause problems. They are brought in for quite a lot of money to strengthen the squad and be potential starters but fail to contribute at all.
Digne and Rafa are players who usually do their job when asked, have some potential and are willing to improve. When a team functions properly and the starters do well back ups like them are the ones who secure you titles.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Digne was bought to be a back up and so far he has done a solid job. No one will ask him to play against the likes of Real or Atletico and if he will have to do it you can be quiet sure he will not look totally out of his debt like Mathieu e.g.

Same thing with a guy like Rafinha. People want him sold despite him being a La Masia kid and showing good performances for the team. With him you could argue about his injuries but that is another story.

Anyway, guys like Arda, Gomes or Paco are the ones who cause problems. They are brought in for quite a lot of money to strengthen the squad and be potential starters but fail to contribute at all.
Digne and Rafa are players who usually do their job when asked, have some potential and are willing to improve. When a team functions properly and the starters do well back ups like them are the ones who secure you titles.

Agreed. Was the same as people problematizing Mathieu. Those players are backups and never caused problems and did the job they were asked. Weren't paid arm and leg nor earning a lot.

xXKonan

With Alba here you aren't going to get a second elite fullback who's willing to play second fiddle. For awhile we had only Alba as our only good level LB while our backups were Adriano who despite at one point was a good servant, injuries and aging weren't so kind to him as time went on and he wasn't as reliable anymore.

Mathieu despite him spending most of his career as a LM/LB he's more comfortable as a CB and he can no longer play LB the way he use to. and he clearly struggled when he was forced to play in the LB spot. Could have we played and promoted Grimaldo to deputize Alba? of course! but he's no longer here so we are back to square one.

Digne was willing to come here knowing he wouldn't be a starter. He's a different LB profile to Alba but he still has been solid. We have Cucu developing in the B team and who knows he could be our starting LB here down the road.

clemente

He can be a LB or a backup LB in a different team, I am talking about style, he is a good defender but he doesn't have pace, cannot do quick passes, cannot dribble, he could be maybe United LB where he could just sprint forward and cross but our style is different, we definitely can find another backup that fits us better than him. And saying he has "done the job when asked" is just the sorryest thing to say, Paulinho or Roberto in midfield you can say "has done the job" but not Digne... And I don't understand your point about Rafa because he was expected to be a starter for us at some point if everything goes well, but for Digne you can tell he will never be a starter here.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
I agree with that. Digne is not a good attacking player but in the games he plays it should be enough for our LB to run up the sideline, provide width and move the ball to the next player as quick as possible. Of course you cannot expect Alba like runs behind the defense and Alba's quality in the final third.
I am also all in for Cucu to be promoted and being given chances with the first team. But right now Digne is more than capable to fulfill his back up role.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
I think many pro-cantera posters do not like Digne because he "took" Grimaldo's place. Obviously Digne had nothing to do with Grimaldo leaving (thanks to our majestic board) and we can only fantasize how it could have been with Grimaldo playing instead of him.

Home of Barca Fans