Yerry Mina

5ergio_Busquets

Valencia game will be the best way to introduce Yerry Mina to Spanish football. I strongly disagree with the cautious approach, huge mistake will be to treat Mina like another Marlon, Bartra and so on. Defenders need big games to prove their worth. Probably one of the reasons why Pique is terrible and unfocused in minor games.

What if he is one? Nobody knows how he would perform on this level.
Big games are good opportunities to shine but there is also the chance of making a mistake that would be remembered for a long time like the famous Bartra-Bale one for example.

hulinat

Bartra scored a goal in that game and pulled a muscle in that 1v1 situation and still gets shit even after he did everything he could lmao.

behindbrowneyes

Valencia game will be the best way to introduce Yerry Mina to Spanish football. I strongly disagree with the cautious approach, huge mistake will be to treat Mina like another Marlon, Bartra and so on. Defenders need big games to prove their worth. Probably one of the reasons why Pique is terrible and unfocused in minor games.

True. I don't see a reason in not starting him. It is a way better option to start him than Busquets as CB since this will hurt us in 2 positions (CB and DM) while starting Mina just hurts us in one (Mina << Piqué). He has Umtiti besides him who can lead him. Wouldn't worry about Mina going forward or making risky passes like someone mentioned. Valverde will instruct him not to do so. Look at Vermaelen in el clásico. They barely gave him the ball and when he had it he just made simple passes.

Last edited:

Windhook

Big games are good opportunities to shine but there is also the chance of making a mistake that would be remembered for a long time like the famous Bartra-Bale one for example.

Exactly, the comfortable treatment of Bartra lead to that famous roadrunner Bale goal. Because Marc was played against much much weaker opponents all the time and then suddenly Tata Martino was forced to give him the shocker against Real Madrid.

True. I don't see a reason in don't starting him. It is a way better option to start him than Busquets as CB since this will hurt us in 2 positions (CB and DM) while starting Mina just hurts us in one (Mina << Piqué). He has Umtiti besides him who can lead him. Wouldn't worry about Mina going forward or making risky passes like someone mentioned. Valverde will instruct him not to do so. Look at Vermaelen in el clásico. They barely gave him the ball and when he had it he just made simple passes.

Indeed, I get the impression we are not facing Valencia, but Man City or Real Madrid, clubs that usually dominate ball possesion.

The only way Valencia can hurt us is counter-attacks or Cillessen fucking up. I have no doubts in Mina, I trust him.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

It's in interest of both the club and the player not to start him at Mestalla. Playing as a defender in the Barca System is not easy and you need to be in perfect understanding with your team mates. In a possession style like Barca's a wrong pass from a defender could be all it takes to concede a goal. Against Valencia's counter attacking style the least thing you need is a misunderstanding between defenders. From what I have seen from him in the videos he seems to like making adventurous forward runs and tries some risky passes which often result in giving the ball away and that's exactly what you need to avoid against a counter attacking team. He also doesn't seem to have the speed or the agility to stop a counter attack, neither does Pique but at least he can rely on his experience and positioning.

It isn't the best interest of the team to start Busquets who is a proven horrible CB even when he was younger and faster than he is now, it isn't the best interest of the team to lose our best midfielder in a game like that, it isn't the best interest of the team to play injured Digne at CB when he barely played the position, it isn't the best interest of the team to risk long term injury of Pique which would force Mina to be starter in even more important games with Vermaelen being unreliable in terms of staying healthy.
You keep repeating same logic again and again but you fail to answer who can play the position, since Mascherano Barca has failed to use any non-cb into the CB position. Adriano,Song & Busquets were all epic fail. Hell even b4 Mascherano; Abidal & Yaya played CB in their career b4 Barca and that is why they were used in that position. Only CB who came close to being awful as the other "trials" was Fontas, even Bartra was way better than any of Busquets/Sogn/Adriano experiments.

Barca fans treated Bartra well after the Bale game, even after the horror show he had against Bayern Barca fans tried to see the best out of him actually. I would take Bartra/Marlon over Busquets as CB any day of the week.
If he proves bad today it is good, it means he will know he has to learn and work harder. Unless he is mentally fragile who would be broke by a bad game, in which case I won't care that much either because that means he isn't made for us anyway

Raketa10

True. I don't see a reason in not starting him. It is a way better option to start him than Busquets as CB since this will hurt us in 2 positions (CB and DM) while starting Mina just hurts us in one (Mina << Piqué). He has Umtiti besides him who can lead him. Wouldn't worry about Mina going forward or making risky passes like someone mentioned. Valverde will instruct him not to do so. Look at Vermaelen in el clásico. They barely gave him the ball and when he had it he just made simple passes.

I agree 100%!

Why would anyone think that Busi is better CB better than Mina?!?! He is not Masche, he played as CB few times and he was bad every single time! Jesus Christ put a little trust in Mina. It's not like he is 17 years old kid from Tercera division, even if he is not as good as Pique, Umtiti or Vermaelen (and we still don't know that) he can for sure play a decent tactical game.

I am 100% for playing him against Valencia, if we bought a player we have to trust him or he will immediately lose his entire confidence.

Last edited:

5ergio_Busquets

Exactly, the comfortable treatment of Bartra lead to that famous roadrunner Bale goal. Because Marc was played against much much weaker opponents all the time and then suddenly Tata Martino was forced to give him the shocker against Real Madrid.

So you are against playing players against weak teams and then suddenly against strong teams but you want a player from the Brazilian league who played against even weaker teams than those "weak teams" Bartra played against to start against Valencia at the Mestalla in a semi-final game?!

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

So you are against playing players against weak teams and then suddenly against strong teams but you want a player from the Brazilian league who played against even weaker teams than those "weak teams" Bartra played against to start against Valencia at the Mestalla in a semi-final game?!

Are you comparing current troubled Valencia with 2014 RM?

behindbrowneyes

Indeed, I get the impression we are not facing Valencia, but Man City or Real Madrid, clubs that usually dominate ball possesion.

The only way Valencia can hurt us is counter-attacks or Cillessen fucking up. I have no doubts in Mina, I trust him.

Exactly. Some here tend to overestimate Valencia due to their strong first half in La Liga. They can't park the bus the whole game since they need a goal which will give our offense more opportunities. I'm more afraid of Cillessen fucking it up too.

I am 100% for playing him against Valencia, if we bought a player we have to trust him or he will immediately lose his entire confidence.

True. Playing him vs Valencia is a good option to build trust and boost his confidence.

Calidad

Can’t see the point in purchasing a CB if you don’t play him when the other CB’s are unavailable.

It’ll also have an adverse effect on his confidence if he see’s a back up LB or DM playing there. This guy plays ahead of Davidson Sanchez for Colombia, and Spurs chucked him in as their first choice as soon as he was purchased.

khaled_a_d

Are you implying the game on thursday is an easy one?
Valencia at Mestalla can be a different team even when they are not in their best form and by this logic we should start our B team against Chelsea in the CL.

A team that lost 5 of their last 7 games in Liga? has troubles in CB and can't park the bus with 1-0 lead we have? You are treating it like a CL semi-final.
It isn't an easy game, but no where near RM in one of their best seasons. It isn't so risky to start someone new if you know the alternative is horrible to say at least

Windhook

I'm not against anything. The club scouted Yerry Mina, they saw the potential and he was signed. Now you don't spend 11 874 432, 35 € for a guy who first of all takes a non-EU spot just to play him against the struggling Malaga at Camp Nou.

M

MessiCam

Anyway, the concern about Mina and counters is misplaced too. He makes a lot of interceptions and clearances.

What is of concern to me is how he brings the ball out and how he deals with a high press.

Home of Barca Fans