Yerry Mina

Raketa10

Watched a few videos of him but don't know why I'm not feeling confident he'll make it at Barca, for some reasons he kinda reminds me of Mathieu.

IMHO he is a panic buy because Masche is leaving and we need 4 CB's. I would be much happier if Masche stayed until summer and than we went for someone else. That non-EU spot is to valuable to spend it on someone who might not be good enough. I hope he won’t end up like Marlon.

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
Not sure if he'll ever become more than a backup, like Mathieu and Vermaelen.
The difference is that he's both cheaper and younger meaning he'll be a lot more worth it, if he manages to adapt.

He'd also become the tallest player in the squad at 195 cm and give Valverde a weapon against teams with very physical players.

Raketa10

The difference is that he's both cheaper and younger meaning he'll be a lot more worth it, if he manages to adapt.

He'd also become the tallest player in the squad at 195 cm and give Valverde a weapon against teams with very physical players.

Yeah but the problem with such a tall players is that they tend to be slow and very often they are easily thrown out of balance by smaller and faster attackers.

Trickykid

IMHO he is a panic buy because Masche is leaving and we need 4 CB's. I would be much happier if Masche stayed until summer and than we went for someone else. That non-EU spot is to valuable to spend it on someone who might not be good enough. I hope he won’t end up like Marlon.

This is as far from a panic buy as it gets. We've calculated with Masch wanting to leave sooner or later and as Messi983 wrote, we've had Mina under control in the meantime. Now that Vermaelen has played so well and at the same time we are able to land Mina on the cheap it's the perfect time to let Masch leave.

This signing is basically a no-brainer.

Devils

We've had first option on this guy for what? like 2 years now?

If anything it's good that he is finally arriving.

khaled_a_d

Yeah but the problem with such a tall players is that they tend to be slow and very often they are easily thrown out of balance by smaller and faster attackers.

ِAll the videos I've seen for him suggest he is actually fast. Also he is just 1cm shorter than Pique who has been one of the best CB we had.
Physically he look perfect for the position, Let's hope he is actually good and not just an athlete

Jakabor

Not a panic buy. We've had a pre-agreement for two years. Well scouted.

This is a very informed buy.

henias

Too tall isn't good plus he is on the heavy side, while he does provide more strength, his agility and balance are serious issues, especially if we face counter attacks. It'll be hard for him to deal with quick agile attackers.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Not sure if this guy will be worth it. Being an OK backup is fine for such a cheap price but I'd rather not waste another non-EU spot on a bench player regardless of how cheap he is. This guy singlehandedly takes away the option to buy Arthur which is added opportunity cost. Don't think Yerry Mina is worth taking away that option entirely.

Jombi

Not sure if this guy will be worth it. Being an OK backup is fine for such a cheap price but I'd rather not waste another non-EU spot on a bench player regardless of how cheap he is. This guy singlehandedly takes away the option to buy Arthur which is added opportunity cost. Don't think Yerry Mina is worth taking away that option entirely.

So Mina is a waste and Arthur is not? Why exactly? Mina at least benched Davinson Sanchez on the Colombian national team for whatever its worth. Who are our non-EU players now? Paulinho, Mina and Suarez? When is Suarez getting his EU passport?

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
So Mina is a waste and Arthur is not? Why exactly? Mina at least benched Davinson Sanchez on the Colombian national team for whatever its worth. Who are our non-EU players now? Paulinho, Mina and Suarez? When is Suarez getting his EU passport?

If we're betting on Arthur it's because we/the club believes he has the potential to become a world class midfielder. Do we believe that is the ceiling for Mina, and are we gonna bet on that? If it was the money alone, <10m for Mina is nothing and he'd be absolutely worth it. But the non EU spot directly pins him against other non-EU transfers, I have much higher hopes for the potential/ceiling of Arthur than Mina personally and for what he could add to this team.

Even with Coutinho, we'd be in a limbo for our other midfield spot. Aging Iniesta and Rakitic are covering for now, but how long can that go on? Our best bet for a rising high quality replacement at that spot is Aleña and he might be years from reaching that level and he'd be best growing as a player in rotation. Arthur could develop into a proper starter level player by like mid 2019 if not earlier which goes along with the timeline we need to follow to phase Iniesta out. Also if he ends up that good we'll have true long term depth in the MF with no lack of quality at all, which would be one less major thing to worry about going forward (the biggest one being post-Messi).

All of this is irrelevant tho if we can solve the non-EU problem. I've read some people say it's Suarez taking up a spot, some say it's Coutinho? If it is Coutinho and he can get an EU passport soon enough, this whole issue is null. We wouldn't even "need" to buy Arthur short term with Coutinho here so we can hold off till the passport issue is settled.

Jombi

If we're betting on Arthur it's because we/the club believes he has the potential to become a world class midfielder. Do we believe that is the ceiling for Mina, and are we gonna bet on that? If it was the money alone, <10m for Mina is nothing and he'd be absolutely worth it. But the non EU spot directly pins him against other non-EU transfers, I have much higher hopes for the potential/ceiling of Arthur than Mina personally and for what he could add to this team.

Even with Coutinho, we'd be in a limbo for our other midfield spot. Aging Iniesta and Rakitic are covering for now, but how long can that go on? Our best bet for a rising high quality replacement at that spot is Aleña and he might be years from reaching that level and he'd be best growing as a player in rotation. Arthur could develop into a proper starter level player by like mid 2019 if not earlier which goes along with the timeline we need to follow to phase Iniesta out. Also if he ends up that good we'll have true long term depth in the MF with no lack of quality at all, which would be one less major thing to worry about going forward (the biggest one being post-Messi).

All of this is irrelevant tho if we can solve the non-EU problem. I've read some people say it's Suarez taking up a spot, some say it's Coutinho? If it is Coutinho and he can get an EU passport soon enough, this whole issue is null. We wouldn't even "need" to buy Arthur short term with Coutinho here so we can hold off till the passport issue is settled.

Coutinho has an EU passport. I am pretty sure Mina is seen as a direct challenger to Pique. And Pique needs a challenger. He's complacent.

Home of Barca Fans