Yerry Mina

God Serena

It needs to be repeated from time to time: so, he was the best or one of the best South American CBs?
And voted for a defender of the year in Brasil?

Interesting :sherlock:

The power of hype is so strong that people on this forum had a meltdown whenever he didn't play. In their mind, seeing him succeed in leagues and teams vastly inferior meant more than Valverde watching this guy in training everyday and knowing he's awful.

God Serena

I don't remember Chygryskiy, but I'd put Song and Gabriel Milito at the bottom. In their defense, Song just was not a CB, this was a bizarre fantasy of Barca management. Pep continued to put poor Milito on the field after Milito could not longer play due to injury and age. This cost about one a goal a game, a real horror show. Towards the end, Milito was the worst player I have seen play for Barca at any position, in non-exhibition games.

Imo Song was actually better. And I genuinely don't remember Milito at all. During a lot of Pep's time in charge I wasn't very big on individual players... lol

BBZ8800

The power of hype is so strong that people on this forum had a meltdown whenever he didn't play. In their mind, seeing him succeed in leagues and teams vastly inferior meant more than Valverde watching this guy in training everyday and knowing he's awful.

I know that we need to try to buy new young players and everything...

But then, I don't understand how people can be so optimistic about Arthur.
What we know for now:
1. He played zero minutes in Europe
2. He played in a league where Jerry Mina was the best defender. Then imagine defending, positional play and other things from 2nd tier and 3rd tier defenders, if Mina was an absolute top there
3. He wasn't called for a World Cup, and yet, our very own, Paulinho, will be a starter there

Now, just imagine a meltdown here if Arthur won't be "a starter" soon.
People will yell at "crazy EV" all the time.
Even though, for anyone who is objective, there are already lots of red flags about Arthur.
And since this is Barca and we need only the highest level, it is highly unlikely that he will ever be good enough.
And yet, even if he will be good enough, it will probably take 3-4 or more years of learning and adapting to Europe.

But 2 months after his arrival, I can predict posts: Ev is stupid and he is afraid to play young players...

Again, Mina was the best defender there and an NT starter for Bolivia.
Yet here, I am not sure if he could play for any La liga team, based on his current abilities.

FCBfan22

What we know for now:
2. He played in a league where Jerry Mina was the best defender. Then imagine defending, positional play and other things from 2nd tier and 3rd tier defenders, if Mina was an absolute top there
3. He wasn't called for a World Cup, and yet, our very own, Paulinho, will be a starter there

Even though, for anyone who is objective, there are already lots of red flags about Arthur.
And since this is Barca and we need only the highest level, it is highly unlikely that he will ever be good enough.
And yet, even if he will be good enough, it will probably take 3-4 or more years of learning and adapting to Europe.

But 2 months after his arrival, I can predict posts: Ev is stupid and he is afraid to play young players...

Yet here, I am not sure if he could play for any La liga team, based on his current abilities.

*Colombia.

But yeah, we need another CM this summer. Arthur is a gamble and he will probably arrive in winter.

JamDav1982

I don't remember Chygryskiy, but I'd put Song and Gabriel Milito at the bottom. In their defense, Song just was not a CB, this was a bizarre fantasy of Barca management. Pep continued to put poor Milito on the field after Milito could not longer play due to injury and age. This cost about one a goal a game, a real horror show. Towards the end, Milito was the worst player I have seen play for Barca at any position, in non-exhibition games.

Milito was not a bad CB at all he was decent and very injury prone.

Nowhere close to being in same bracket as Song, Chyg or Mina.

God Serena

What we know for now:

Agreed. As far as I'm concerned, the only young player who should be given a chance here is Alena, and that's for on reason: his price. Not having a transfer fee sure is beneficial.

Everyone else brought in should be proven to be capable of improving the squad in some way, which Arthur is not. As powerful as my hate boner is for Paulinho, if I ignore his age and transfer fee I'd actually much rather see players like him brought in, who at least know what they're getting into, than players signed based purely on hype who then proceed to flop around all game as if they're a bird with two broken wings.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
It needs to be repeated from time to time: so, he was the best or one of the best South American CBs?
And voted for a defender of the year in Brasil?

Interesting :sherlock:

And Marlon was never hyped up as any of that and is 5x the player Mina is while showing comfortable footing in every game he's ever played for us. As well as being a good starter for Nice. Mina was hyped up for all the wrong reasons. Scored a bunch of set piece goals and can head the ball, which is enough to delude many fans he had any real ability.

Arthur is hyped for all the right reasons. All the right performances, excellence at every level he's played at, and showing the perfect abilities/standout statistics that we need of a player. Just because Mina failed doesn't mean every Brazilian league player is a failure. And Arthur literally has nothing left to prove himself in the situation he's in, so unless you're saying that the ONLY reason he will be a failure is because he is from Brazil you have no leg to stand on.

I said it well before Mina came and I'm saying it now well before Arthur comes. Arthur is a far superior prospect, more worthy of the transfer fee and non-EU spot, and is way more likely to adapt to European football at Barca.

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
Needs to be loaned out for a couple seasons at the very least.

I'm not expecting much or for him to ever contribute to the club tbh.

Devils

Really looking forward to see this guy with Colombia this summer and if he plays anywhere near as shit as he does at Barca.

xXKonan

So does that mean Verm gets the Axe?

I mean if Yerry is staying and Lenglet is coming and Umtiti will probably renew I can't see Verm staying.

Givenchy

So does that mean Verm gets the Axe?

I mean if Yerry is staying and Lenglet is coming and Umtiti will probably renew I can't see Verm staying.

if EV doesn't rate Yerry he needs to grow some balls and tell Barto so we can loan him. Vermaelen should be staying atleast another season imo, hes been solid every time hes called on

xXKonan

Miguel Rico reported the Club will be watching his World Cup performances closely as well and if he does well he will stay.

He's pretty good with Colombia during the qualifiers but this is the World Cup which is a whole different beast.

MTL_Barca

If he stays we can't bring in Arthur so he has to leave anyway. Unless we sell Paulinho (not gonna happen) or Cou gets his EU passport till next winter but i doubt that's possible.

Home of Barca Fans