Barca central defender signings in this century

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
[h=2]15 center backs signed by BARCA for total of 221,75 MILLION (2001-2016)[/h]

• 2001/02: Patrik Andersson (Bayern, 8 millones) y Philippe Christanval (Mónaco, 17 millones)
  • 2003/04: Rafa Márquez (Mónaco, 5,25 millones)
  • 2004/05: Edmílson (Ol. Lyon 8 millones)
  • 2006/07: Lilian Thuram (Juventus, 5 millones)
  • 2007/08: Eric Abidal (Ol Lyon, 15 millones) y Gabriel Milito (R. Zaragoza, 20 millones)
  • 2008/09: Martín Cáceres (Villarreal, 16,5 millones), Henrique (Desportivo Brasil, 8 millones) y Gerard Piqué (Manchester United, 5 millones)
  • 2009/10: Dmytro Chygrynskiy (Shakhtar Donetsk, 25 millones)
  • 2010/11: Javier Mascherano (Liverpool, 20 millones)
  • 2014/15: Jeremy Mathieu (Valencia, 20 millones) y Thomas Vermaelen (Arsenal, 19 millones)
  • 2016/17: Umtiti (Ol. Lyon, 30 millones)
(list by Sport)

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
There was a big surge in prices with Italian clubs taking out huge loans at the turn of the century. Bubble burst and then oil tycoons came. From Abramovich to Qataris.

All things considered, prices of defenders haven't risen as those of midfielders or forwards.

khaled_a_d

Mascherano signed in 2010/2011 not 2009/2010.Also was signed as midfielder and later converted into CB.
Overall most of the least was solid pick ups with many gr8 bargains too.
Injuries destroyed 3 very good CBs here,Vermaelen/Anderson/Milito.
Cáceres,Henrique,Christanval & Chygrynskiy are the true busts. The 1st 2 had good/decent career later but they failed to make their mark here

Last edited:

xXKonan

Cáceres, despite being a "Bust" here he had a pretty respectable career since he left us. and Won 10 titles with Juventus.

Henrique, I honestly forgot about him until recently. spent time on loan and in and out of Brazil and he managed to play for Napoli for a season and returned to Brazil and signed with Fluminense. Ironically he's one of the reasons why Marlon is coming to Barcelona on Loan.

Chygrynskiy, just faded away back in Ukraine and recently signed with AEK Athens. seemed like an interesting CB transfer at the time when we signed him but it didn't work out in the end.

All this talk about CB's we bought is pretty fascinating.

Eetu

Adormit
I really really wanted to see Cáceres and Txigri play together. They could've been great, like an adult version of the comic duo Bartra and Muniesa were at the time. Always bought them in any PES save for years :)

hulinat

Since Caceres was mentioned hes a free agent atm so why havent we signed him already??? Hes still a decent player and he can play every defensive position.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Despite the low fee I was very disappointed with Thuram. Despite his age he looked good at Juve when he signed him and yet failed to show anything here.

khaled_a_d

Actually I don't think Thuram was really that bad overall.He was a decent pick up for a 3rd/4th CB.
But he wasn't good enough against big teams anymore when he joined specially in a faster Liga and our attacking style.his 1st classico was horrible

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Thuram was already in a steep decline too when we signed him. He had a great career though.

macleod

When we signed with Edmilson, Abidal, Mascherano they was not CB. And Vermaelen cost 10 mln + 8,8 mln bonuses and because his injury club not pay this bonuses.

Total-Football

Edmulson played as a defensive midfielder for us if i remember .. Gabriel milito was brillian for us , Marquez was a steal too

Home of Barca Fans