Messi retires from Argentina

GoGGi

guys, do you think that we can "motivate"/inspire,... Messi via social medias with yt videos, quotes,... and hope that things comes to him personally?
That was heartbreaking last night to see him like that... Im sure that we, fans can somehow show him support and make little bit easier for him.
I really hope that his emotional collapse wont effect his future performance...

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
On the face of it this might appear as a good thing for Barca but I don't see it that way.

Big part of what drove him to this heights was always making it big with Argentina. He said he would trade all Barca trophies for 1 Argentina's World Cup and now that drive is gone.

This must have hit him harder than WC Final in Brazil vs. Germany as he already won this Copa in his mind (Brazil, Uruguay out early, weaker Chile, whatever). whereas 2 years ago Germans were the favorites.

Basically, higher the expectations bigger the disappointment.

BBZ8800

Like Bojan said, I also do have some fears about Leo's future at Barca.

Playing for Argentina was surely very important part of his life and career.
He wanted to succeed there.

Even though we all think that Messi is a robot or an alien, this probably hurts him insanely.
And more or less, everything is possible regarding his future at Barca:
1. like playing for 10 years more now since he has only Barca on his mind
2. playing only 2-3-4 more years for Barca, but he will play with low batteries and without too much motivation (because of everything related to Argentina)
3. Messi quitting football in 1-2 years since he is burned out and he doesn't have motivation anymore, and he thinks that it is best for his physical and mental health

I hope that options 2 or 3 won't happen, but again, everything is possible.
A lot of sportsmen have quit way too early or deteriorated after some psychological trauma in their lives.

So, Messi, we love you and support you.
But again, since he is a human, sadly, everything is possible...

F

Flavia

I doubt he won't play the 2018 wc. He's devastated right now. And also mad, because AFA is a goddamn mess. Messi isn't one to complain, but complained against them on his instagram, a few days ago. And one of their directors made up to the press Tata was resigning after the final, hours before the game, to hurt the NT. Imagine that. sadly the NT is not a good enviroment for a long time. It's the same with Brazil. And it's so sad to watch, because it's 2 of the biggest nt's.

He'll probably come back for russia. Unless the worst happens and fifa really disaffiliate AFA, as they are threatening to.

serghei

It would be a big mistake if he gives up and a black stain on his career. He needs to get angry, and show champion strenght. He's only 29. Plenty of great things have been won by older players.

[youtube]6E8cDw4EHMA[/youtube]

BBZ8800

I doubt he won't play the 2018 wc. He's devastated right now. And also mad, because AFA is a goddamn mess. Messi isn't one to complain, but complained against them on his instagram, a few days ago. And one of their directors made up to the press Tata was resigning after the final, hours before the game, to hurt the NT. Imagine that. sadly the NT is not a good enviroment for a long time. It's the same with Brazil. And it's so sad to watch, because it's 2 of the biggest nt's.

He'll probably come back for russia. Unless the worst happens and fifa really disaffiliate AFA, as they are threatening to.

About bad FA's, it seems that more or less half of the world have bad FA's, corrupted presidents and similar.

About Messi and a WC 2018, I just don't see what "good" can come out of it, except that he will remove some dirt from his name (from people who call him quitter now).

Majority of people agree that Argentina's team is weak and that Messi plays 120% to get them to semis and finals.
So, these are scenarios in 2018:
1. Argentina gets knocked out in group stage:
= Messi will be blamed by Argie fans
2. Argentina gets knocked out in 1/8s or quarters:
3. Argentina gets knocked out in semis:
4. Argentina gets knocked out in a final:
= Messi will be a guy with 5 losses in 5 NT finals

The only win-win option is:
5. Argentina wins a World cup:
= everything is perfect

Now again:
1. Messi will be 2 years older than today
2. Argentina is not good enough. Except if they will magically improve a lot in 2 years to be good enough to win a WC
3. Their FA is corrupted, and it won't resolve that soon
4. who could be a good/available coach for them who can lead a team to a WC glory?
5. also, add enormous pressure on Messi in these 2 years until WC 2018, and pressure if they lose it again (which will happen 99% probably considering all facts around Argentina)

So, on one hand, haters will call him a quitter now.
If he'll play in 2018, he won't be called a quitter.
But what after 2018?
Fans will again attack him (since they won't win a WC probably).
And if he quits then, what then? He will again be called as quitter and NT loser, by his haters.

I don't mean anything bad, but I just don't see what good can come from him playing at WC 2018, considering all facts, Argie's fans expectations, pressure until 2018, and a possible disappointment after a WC in 2018.

I am really not sure if anyone can handle that amount of pressure and fan's disappointment.
I can see Argentina's fans asking from him: come on, play one more Copa. One more attempt... Then one more, then his last WC aged 35, as his last chance.

zanela

Messi is FIFA's biggest star, I'm sure they will do all necessary to have him reconsider his decision.

barcanuck

I think he will be back. So much wrong with the AFA though. First thing that stands out the best argentine coaches don't coach Argentina.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
Of course he'll comeback, he said that in the heat of the moment, Jordan retired twice from basketball and then cameback, that's just first time for Messi:)

PhilS

Messi has give a lot to the Albiceleste. If he wants to focus more now on FC Barca, that is his right. And I am certain that playing fewer games per year will improve his club performance, and extend his career. I'm pretty sure he has been playing more games per year than any other player.

FIFA has been unbelievably corrupt, and apparently the problems with the AFA have been particularly bad. Messi does not get paid anywhere near what he is worth for his play for the national team, the stars are shamelessly exploited economically by national teams. FC Barca has not been fairly compensated for the use of their star.

There is no reason for FIFA to continue. Start over with a new organization, one that is more fair to the clubs and the players. Messi can be a huge voice in moving past FIFA.

Messi can give back to his country by transferring to Newalls Old Boys in Rosario in about 5 years. He could walk to practice. He might be able to continue to play at that level until he is 45.

frog-fcb

By the sound of it there could be 6 or 7 players retireing so im assuming its about problems with the fa and once they are sorted he will probably come back

Devils

Yeah what an absolute shit day.

Watching the interview again it just breaks my heart when he says he's retiring for the people who want him gone.

That miserable national team alongside that fucking coked-up, fat ugly cunt achieved their goal and broke Messi's spirit today. Absolute bellends, the lot of them.

From the AFA to Maradona to Tata to Higuain. Fuck off.

FC B

I reckon it is a possibility his retirement from NT will do him some good too, much more free time, much more rest and far less worries so maybe it's not that bad after all.

Altomonte

I think the only thing that could bring back Messi to the Argentina NT would be a complete house cleaning at AFA, including a new Coach like Simeone, and the buildup of a new team including new young talent like Dybala, Correa, Rulli, etc.
No more championships with proven losers like Higuain.
Messi would be the experienced leader without as much pressure and the bad memories would not be shared by the majority of the team.
Argentina must restart from scratch and then ask Messi to come back and help the new generation.
And Messi has to learn and accept that winning is not everything: by being so focused on winning, he probably hurt his own performance in the final. He needs to learn to relax.
If he still feels strongly about his home country and wants to eventually go back and retire, he needs to help his team to transform itself and to lead this transformation.
If not, he should become fully assimilated to his current environment and build his future in Spain.

Home of Barca Fans