Marlon Santos

xXKonan

I still don't get the point of selling him as we did consider there was no way we were going to get De Ligt in the summer.

Lenglet was part of the puzzle but why Marlon? he could have been a pretty good back up RCB for Pique. Yet we sold him and bought Malcom who while talented is being ignored big time by Valverde. Here we are we have two fit CBs and one of them being the only RCB in the squad while we stick with Verm who is injury prone and a LCB when we already have enough of them with Lenglet and Umtiti.

Should have just used the last Non-EU spot on Marlon for the season.

Joan

Easy to say that now. We entered the season with 4 CBs which is almost always enough.

Joan

Three of them which are LCBs and one that is prone to injury.

Why have only one RCB yet 3 LCBs? Pique has no natural backup yet Umtiti has two of them.

Makes no sense to have 5 CBs. Having a 'wrong-footed' Cb as a backup is not the worst thing in the world. I'd bet Lenglet on the right could do better than Marlon.

I'd still take Malcom, but it's high time he starts getting some minutes.

Nothanks

this obsession of right or left footed defenders is huge now..

we had puyol/mascherano and pique partnership for nearly a decade and had no issues there.

khaled_a_d

this obsession of right or left footed defenders is huge now..

we had puyol/mascherano and pique partnership for nearly a decade and had no issues there.

Umtiti is our 1st left footed CB since De Boer.

Makes no sense to have 5 CBs. Having a 'wrong-footed' Cb as a backup is not the worst thing in the world. I'd bet Lenglet on the right could do better than Marlon.

I'd still take Malcom, but it's high time he starts getting some minutes.

It was risky move to have only 4 CB when one of them is Vermaelen and no clear player from other position who can play CB (and no good candidate from B team either) while our back up LB are our left footed CB.
We were pushing our luck tnh, although I don't think Marlon was staying anyway

MTL_Barca

Double right footed CBs is very common in all age groups, just because there are more right footed players. Because of that most of them will have played both positions at some point where most left footed CBs probably only ever played LCB regularly.

I don't think its a new obsession at all, its just super rare to see a team having more left footed than right footed CBs so the topic rarely comes up.

Nothanks

its rare because there are more right footed players.. you said it yourself

i don't think umtiti struggles to defend against strikers that are right footed any different from players that are left footed.. nor has puyol or mascherano had any statistics to prove that left footed strikers have an advantage on them.

MTL_Barca

its rare because there are more right footed players.. you said it yourself

i don't think umtiti struggles to defend against strikers that are right footed any different from players that are left footed.. nor has puyol or mascherano had any statistics to prove that left footed strikers have an advantage on them.

I think thats more about left footed players almost always playing LCB so they might not be as comfortable on RCB where many right footed CBs had regular play time (and training, test games etc) there at some point. When it comes to what foot the attacker uses i think its more about situations where the CB is out wide defending vs the winger where imo its better to have right footed defenders.
There are also some other minor things like passing in build up where its helpful. I also think these points apply more for Barca/Ajax style football where defenders play high and passing is very important so it would make sense that Barca is looking for left footed CBs (we had none when we signed Mathieu and Verm for example) more than other clubs. Now we actually ended up with more of them than we need after we sold Mina and kept Verm but i think we will go back to 2-2 soon with our next signing there.

Obviously not the biggest thing ever and a (big) difference in individual quality will always be more important than just the stronger foot.

Last edited:

Messi983

[MD] | Barca won't get a single euro from Marlon's transfer to Fullham. Initially Bar?a were supposed to get 7.5 M from this deal but now it's been reported that Bar?a had already sold their 50% rights of the player to Salusso for 6M long ago.

Didn't really lose all that much tbh. Getting 12m overall for him is still a good deal imo.

xXKonan

He's joining Shakhtar Donetsk for €12m + add ons.

Following Roberto De Zerbi who became the Manager over there.

Home of Barca Fans