User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 36 of 36

Thread: Best teams ever - where do we fit in?

  1. #31
    Member
    mehdimike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnfieldEd View Post
    Neither dominated Europe...........you lost plenty of finals but never got over the winning line except in 85 and 96.

    However that Juve team would top or be near the top of the list of 'complete' teams.

    There are plenty of 'complete' teams who never dominated like they should have. I am thinking of both Juve incarnations, The Brazil and France national teams of the 80's, Bayern in the 80's, Mancs in the 90's early 00's, Benfica in the 60's (should have won at least 4 CL's that decade instead of 2) and of course the Barca dream team of the 90's. (only 1 CL was a poor return for such a team).

    By 'complete' I mean teams that had absolutely everything in their locker to dominate European/world football but for some reason never got past the winning line often enough.
    But in my lifetime and exactly since 1999(first CL season that I remember), I hadn't seen any team more complete than Bayern 2012-13.They could play possession football.They could form deadly counters.Robbery could dribble the best defenders.Manzu and Muller or even Gomez were wonderful in the air.They could score by crossing,shooting out of the box,through middle or whenever they want by using wing play.The most complete team in my life by distance.

  2. #32
    Senior Member
    serghei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Bucharest
    Posts
    9,908
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mehdimike View Post
    But in my lifetime and exactly since 1999(first CL season that I remember), I hadn't seen any team more complete than Bayern 2012-13.They could play possession football.They could form deadly counters.Robbery could dribble the best defenders.Manzu and Muller or even Gomez were wonderful in the air.They could score by crossing,shooting out of the box,through middle or whenever they want by using wing play.The most complete team in my life by distance.
    Odd thing to say. They played that complete football for a little over 2 months. Until january 2013 everybody was talking about Barca and Messi's records, scoring for fun and breaking Gerd Muller's record. Bayern and Dortmund took Europe by storm in the spring of 2013, but the storm calmed very quickly.

  3. #33
    Member
    mehdimike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by serghei View Post
    Odd thing to say. They played that complete football for a little over 2 months. Until january 2013 everybody was talking about Barca and Messi's records, scoring for fun and breaking Gerd Muller's record. Bayern and Dortmund took Europe by storm in the spring of 2013, but the storm calmed very quickly.
    Was more than just 2 months,honestly.If I remember correctly, they beat many records in Bundesliga that year.

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    serghei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Bucharest
    Posts
    9,908
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mehdimike View Post
    Was more than just 2 months,honestly.If I remember correctly, they beat many records in Bundesliga that year.
    I remember them being good, but not special against Arsenal, even losing to BATE 3-1 in the groups. I don't think they were favourites when we had that Milan 4-0 win with Messi in that form and the rest of the team proving a point in the last 16. It's in the QF, when they dispatched Juventus 4-0 on aggregate and we struggled big time against PSG with an injured Messi, that Bayern emerged as the best team at that minute and as the no1 favourite for the CL imo.

    For me, their european path in 2012-13 looks a lot like Madrid's in 13-14. Escaped a tricky tie (Arsenal for Bayern - qualified on away goals, Dortmund for Real Madrid, 2-3 aggregate), beat their rival very convincingly in the semifinal (7-0 Bayern, 5-0 Real), and narrowly won the final against a rival from the same league.

    They break records in Bundesliga today as well. Pep's Bayern is superior from that pov.

  5. #35
    Member
    ejuventus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnfieldEd View Post
    Neither dominated Europe...........you lost plenty of finals but never got over the winning line except in 85 and 96.

    However that Juve team would top or be near the top of the list of 'complete' teams.

    There are plenty of 'complete' teams who never dominated like they should have. I am thinking of both Juve incarnations, The Brazil and France national teams of the 80's, Bayern in the 80's, Mancs in the 90's early 00's, Benfica in the 60's (should have won at least 4 CL's that decade instead of 2) and of course the Barca dream team of the 90's. (only 1 CL was a poor return for such a team).

    By 'complete' I mean teams that had absolutely everything in their locker to dominate European/world football but for some reason never got past the winning line often enough.

    you seem to know well football history, so I'm surprise you don't know well all facts

    early 80's Juve ... not only won the Champions Cup in 1985 (even if in drammatica circumstances......I said won because I consider the Cup given on a table before the match with Liverpool, that was played only for public order's reasons). That Juve won also Cup's Winners Cup the year before (1984, beating Man U. in semis and in the Final that Porto that 3 years later won Champions' Cup) and reached Champions' Cup Final in 1983, dominating rather than eliminating an english team (A.Villa) that was defending champions in an era in which english teams came from an incredible row of 7 consecutive Cups won !!

    In 1985, that team broke an other incredible straight, that one of south americans teams winning Intercontinental Cup for 8 or 9 years on a row......the match against Argentinos Jr is considerated the best Intercontinental Cup of all time

    Moreover, to consider the grandeur of a team, you must consider also the grandeur of its players ...... in that Juve there were 6 World Cup winners for Italy in 1982, those who made 9 of the last 10 goals of that tournament for Italy......Boniek, named best player of the World Cup where leaded Poland ot semis, and above all Platini, best european player ever by far

    That team signed an era of football......according to me the best team ever, before modern teams that are more machine than pure football (since Sacchi's Milan to nowadays)


    mid 90's Juve ........... we're talking of a team who holds the record of more consecutive matches in Europe: 55 .... since September 94 to April 99 !!
    4 consecutive Finals reached (the first one in UEFA Cup) e at the end the wasting of second leg semis 99 in Turin after being over 2-0 on Man Un
    It was a team with less great players than 80's Juve, but even more powerful......despite having anyway players like Baggio, Del Piero, Zidane, Vieri, P. Sousa, ecc. ecc.
    For long years, I was sure Juve could win every match....and that was.
    Unfortunately, we missed Finals...... but that doesn't cancel all the year, where Juve were considered the best team of the world and Sir Alex Ferguson stated that Juve was a model for his United

    if you give much consideration to the result of the Final, then you should say that Nottingham Forest is a more dominant team than those Juve, but also than Barça too !!.....given that Barça neither have never succeded to win 2 Champions o a row

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    serghei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Bucharest
    Posts
    9,908
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No team has ever won two Champions Leagues in a row. Champions League as we know it was invented in 1992. The European Cup had different rules, and since the rules are what separates a competition from another one, the Champions League and European Cup are two different competitions.

    Nottingham Forest never played in the Champions League. And Pep's Barca never played in the European Cup.

    That being said, to me Juventus has to appear in every list about dominating teams. Basically, Italy's most succesful football club, historically.
    Last edited by serghei; 4th June 2016 at 12:39 PM.