Davinson Sanchez

Xavinho

Quite a long scouting report on Sanchez here if anyone is interested:
http://outsideoftheboot.com/2017/04/27/scout-report-davinson-sanchez-ajaxs-polished-defender/

I'll post a little excerpt:

What are his Strengths?

With a pass success percentage of nearly 90% in the league this season, Sanchez is clearly adept at retaining the ball and is often the first port of call for goalkeeper, Andre Onana when starting a fresh attack.

Despite standing at just 1.87m tall, the young Colombian is a dominant header of the ball in his defensive capacity and also provides an aerial threat from corners and set pieces. This ability was clearly illustrated by the brace of headed goals Sanchez buried to get off the mark for his new club – the 20-year-old setting his side on the road to a 5-1 demolition of visitors, PEC Zwolle on 24th September. He headed home a Davy Klaassen flick-on from a Hakim Ziyech corner from close range in the 8th minute before later out-muscling Dirk Marcellis to head home his second direct from a Ziyech corner from the left seven minutes before the break.

However, his goal-scoring attributes do not end with just a formidable heading ability as was proven during Ajax’s 4-1 victory over AZ Alkmaar on 5th April. Having initially controlled a Ziyech corner from the left by heading the ball into the ground, the 20-year-old centre half then lashed the ball beyond the reach of AZ’s Dutch international ‘keeper, Tim Krul with a spectacular bicycle kick to put the hosts back into the lead with nineteen minutes to play.

A mobile and athletic centre half, Sanchez is adept at utilising his 83kg frame when required to out-muscle opposing forwards. With an ability to read the play like few his age, he also possesses a deceptive pace that allows him to remain a step ahead of the opposition – an attribute he showcased when beating Leon de Kogel to head the ball to safety after the Go Ahead Eagles forward had seen his spot-kick saved by Andre Onana during the two sides’ meeting at De Adelaarshorst on 28th August. The young Colombian showed the strength of character to make amends after having been adjudged to have clipped the heels of Marcel Ritzmaier in the area by referee, Pol van Boekel just seconds earlier.

Last edited:

mdenci

So, the young Ajax CB, 20 years old.

I'm just watching Ajax - Lyon, and the guy is killing it...

I've seen a couple of Ajax games this season in the Europa League, and he has always been on top form. Also, I've checked his average match grades this season, it seems he is always among the highest graded players in his team.

I think we could get him for about 20-25 M, and I wouldn't mind at all ;)

Plus, Ajax play in the 4-3-3 formation, so he is used to play with the ball in his feet, and I think he would adjust to Barca perfectly!

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
http://www.barcaforum.com/showthrea...chez?p=1747907&highlight=Davinson#post1747907

Already a thread on him, but yes, a starter for Atletico Nacional at 19 and one of their best players to a Libertadores. He's the biggest CB talent to come out of South America in some time. Better than Yerry Mina who we can sign after the World Cup next year.

He obviously still has flaws in his game, but he's the perfect modern defender and has been fantastic for Ajax this season, impressed every Ajax fan/regular watches their games I know. If we want to sign a young CB, then he's my first choice even ahead of Lemos, simply because he's such a huge talent and managed to transition his play from Colombia and CONMEBOL to Europe so easily.

mdenci

My bad, didn't see the thread.

I'm glad that we agree that he would be an excellent singing this summer, especially if Masche leaves.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Would want Mascherano to stay another season. Need his leadership qualities. He can be a great option in 2018 when Masche returns to River Plate, but sign him before the World Cup so that his fee doesn't rise to crazy levels! :lol:

xavi_the_Boss

With Mathieu going we will probably sign a CB this summer.So maybe him or maybe the Club think we could also use Theo there considering the high interest.

serghei

25m. might seem like a lot, but if this guy is the real deal, it's an absolute steal. We're selling Mathieu, and if we lose Mascherano as well, then we need to sign a CB.

God Serena

Mascherano and Mathieu really need to go, imo. Mathieu was always on the final legs of his career from the moment he signed for us and Masche has lost his starting spot and honestly isn't good enough even for the role of 3rd CB either, anymore. I'd spend 25m in a heartbeat on this kid.

wisconsincule

Buy him, if it even means loaning out back to ajax for a year or two.

I'm fine with this option. Keep Masche for one more year then Davinson can take his spot next year. I thought we were in on him last summer but he chose Ajax to get regular playing time? Either way I think he could be Piques replacement in a couple years.

Home of Barca Fans