Robert Fernandez

Messi983

Read that he was in Rome today watching the Lazio vs Torino match.

it's suggested he was watching Stefan de Vrij and possibly Sergej Milinković-Savić and Belotti as well.

MD is saying he was watching Luis Alberto. I've liked him in Barça B and he has a good season with Lazio but don't know if he's what we need.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Does he even hold the director position any more? He is nowhere to be found in new executive structure.

Messi983

Officially he's still our sport director but in reality Pep Segura is the man right now.

49952192.jpg

El Flaco

[tw]950721863176671233[/tw]

Says Bartomeu will offer a renewal to Robert Fernández, who's current contract expires in June.

Windhook

Although I have my doubts about Robert, the guy gambled on Paulinho and came out lucky, he won.
"I wanted a player who could adapt to the three central positions and though there was a difference of opinion, within my team, about Paulinho, I took the decision."

He deserves another run, although it will be hard to forget the donations made to Valencia for the bunch that still struggles to fit in.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Although I have my doubts about Robert, the guy gambled on Paulinho and came out lucky, he won.

He deserves another run, although it will be hard to forget the donations made to Valencia for the bunch that still struggles to fit in.

So he picked both Paulinho and Valverde :worthy:

JamDav1982

Pretty sure there was an interview with him in spring 2017 where he said picking new coach will be his decision.

Could be.

Valverde was supposedly the choice of Bartomeu last time round and still liked him but the way he has worked he has gave final decision on football matters to the footballing side.

So makes sense that Robert wanted him if he was choice.

Robert has been a good addition.

khaled_a_d

Could be.

Valverde was supposedly the choice of Bartomeu last time round and still liked him but the way he has worked he has gave final decision on football matters to the footballing side.

So makes sense that Robert wanted him if he was choice.

Robert has been a good addition.

IIRC Lucho was Zubi pick, and Bartou was the one who let him pick. Same thing with Robert as he made it clear he is the one choosing the coach
I actually like that from Barto, hire the people to make the football decisions.

khaled_a_d

So after the end of the last transfer window of his contract would like to make a long post about the guy
RF joined in summer 2015 after election, that mean he had 3 summer transfer windows + 3 winter windows (w of them who we rightfully didn't really use)
In 2015 we had the ban and already made our signings b4 he joined, Pedro was signed to contract extension (along Alves) so there weren't much to do in that summer. Only thing was Pedro who had 30M buyout and tried to decrease it when Chelsea came but he refused to accept anything less.

I think after (or may be before) the double season he wanted to renew the team, first with replacing those older players who were in their 30's (born b4 87)
In 2016 we didn't bother to argue Alves to stay, allowed Bravo to leave and brought in Umtiti to be Pique future partner and replaced Adriano with Digne. Tried to get Dembele for attack to get someone who has a chance in being future starter and added Gomes & Denis to be next starter in midfield.
I think our bench under him was somewhat underrated, people had a bit unrealistic hopes for some. Gomes was his biggest failure IMO and if he lived to his potential people would have looked at Roberto differently

In 2017 he tried to correct it, and kept looking for younger player but with eye on Verratti as an immediate help for midfield. But Neymar departure hit us badly, we got immediate replacement in Dembele, along Paulinho, we got a new RB after struggling with Roberto.This winter we got Coutinho and Mina and completed the replacement of our older guys. Currently we have only 2 players born before 1987 (Vermaelen who has 1 year left in contract and has been solid) and Iniesta who has Carte blanche to stay or leave whenever he wants.
I think RF for now seem to have achieved what he wanted 18 months ago, he replaced Adriano/Alves/Mathieu/Mascherano/Bravo and got Iniesta replacement.

He took gamble with Valverde over other fan favorites like Sampaoli and player favorite (Unzue) and it seem to be paying off, took a risk with counting on Roberto as a starter last season which we payed for but on the other hand it seem paying off this year with Roberto doing very well as RB

Now, this on paper look solid, but there is also questions remained to be answered"
1-Is Dembele gonna be a worthy replacement fo Neymar?
2-Is Coutinho really Iniesta replacement?
If any of those guys failed this will really tarnish Fernandez career here, but if they played to their potential he will look like a very good sporting director

But time also fly by, and there is other older players who will need replacement, currently the core of the team are mostly 31-29 by start of next season
Pique/Messi/Suarez (1987) Rakitic/Paulinho/Busquets(1988) Alba/Cillessen/Vidal (1989)
Vidal and Paulinho are more or less replaceable squad players,Cillessen is a back up GK who can stay as he wants for the next half decade. Can argue that Messi/Busquets/Alba can stay starters for around 3 more seasons at least so might not want a replacement now. But it will leave us with Pique,Rakitic and Suarez who we might need to replace soon.
With rumors about agreement with Griezmann,Arthur and interest in De ligt it already seem that Roberto is preparing their replacements.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
So after the end of the last transfer window of his contract would like to make a long post about the guy
RF joined in summer 2015 after election, that mean he had 3 summer transfer windows + 3 winter windows (w of them who we rightfully didn't really use)
In 2015 we had the ban and already made our signings b4 he joined, Pedro was signed to contract extension (along Alves) so there weren't much to do in that summer. Only thing was Pedro who had 30M buyout and tried to decrease it when Chelsea came but he refused to accept anything less.

I think after (or may be before) the double season he wanted to renew the team, first with replacing those older players who were in their 30's (born b4 87)
In 2016 we didn't bother to argue Alves to stay, allowed Bravo to leave and brought in Umtiti to be Pique future partner and replaced Adriano with Digne. Tried to get Dembele for attack to get someone who has a chance in being future starter and added Gomes & Denis to be next starter in midfield.
I think our bench under him was somewhat underrated, people had a bit unrealistic hopes for some. Gomes was his biggest failure IMO and if he lived to his potential people would have looked at Roberto differently

In 2017 he tried to correct it, and kept looking for younger player but with eye on Verratti as an immediate help for midfield. But Neymar departure hit us badly, we got immediate replacement in Dembele, along Paulinho, we got a new RB after struggling with Roberto.This winter we got Coutinho and Mina and completed the replacement of our older guys. Currently we have only 2 players born before 1987 (Vermaelen who has 1 year left in contract and has been solid) and Iniesta who has Carte blanche to stay or leave whenever he wants.
I think RF for now seem to have achieved what he wanted 18 months ago, he replaced Adriano/Alves/Mathieu/Mascherano/Bravo and got Iniesta replacement.

He took gamble with Valverde over other fan favorites like Sampaoli and player favorite (Unzue) and it seem to be paying off, took a risk with counting on Roberto as a starter last season which we payed for but on the other hand it seem paying off this year with Roberto doing very well as RB

Now, this on paper look solid, but there is also questions remained to be answered"
1-Is Dembele gonna be a worthy replacement fo Neymar?
2-Is Coutinho really Iniesta replacement?
If any of those guys failed this will really tarnish Fernandez career here, but if they played to their potential he will look like a very good sporting director

But time also fly by, and there is other older players who will need replacement, currently the core of the team are mostly 31-29 by start of next season
Pique/Messi/Suarez (1987) Rakitic/Paulinho/Busquets(1988) Alba/Cillessen/Vidal (1989)
Vidal and Paulinho are more or less replaceable squad players,Cillessen is a back up GK who can stay as he wants for the next half decade. Can argue that Messi/Busquets/Alba can stay starters for around 3 more seasons at least so might not want a replacement now. But it will leave us with Pique,Rakitic and Suarez who we might need to replace soon.
With rumors about agreement with Griezmann,Arthur and interest in De ligt it already seem that Roberto is preparing their replacements.

Nice post Khaled.

I would also like to think he's done a solid job but there are things hard to accept like Gomes or Paco or allowing Neymar to screw us over (who offers loyalty bonus in summer?).

Valverde was our biggest signing last summer and that's down to Robert and as you said, everything hinges on how Dembele and Coutinho will fit in.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I don't think Robert is in charge of contract negotiations so that loyalty bonus must have been negotiated with someone else. I think it was in control of Albert Soler who got demoted after the debacle last summer and seem to have disappeared since.

Home of Barca Fans