Robert Fernandez

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
All of his quotes and assertions sound very close-minded and ultra-conservative regarding choices of players/managers. There've been some positive transfers (Umtiti being the pinnacle) but I'm not assured in Robert's ability to take this team in the right direction. In a way, he's just vocalized the level of power and influence he gets and I feel like it's too much for a man with his mindset. If we had someone like Monchi in charge of all decisions like these, the team would likely have been unstoppable these past few years. Someone with that level of intelligence running the strings and holding administrative power would've extended Barca's reign as the undisputed dominant club in Europe.

Oh well, it's purely a fantasy. Things could never have gone THAT perfectly.

F

FlaFCB

All of his quotes and assertions sound very close-minded and ultra-conservative regarding choices of players/managers. There've been some positive transfers (Umtiti being the pinnacle) but I'm not assured in Robert's ability to take this team in the right direction. In a way, he's just vocalized the level of power and influence he gets and I feel like it's too much for a man with his mindset. If we had someone like Monchi in charge of all decisions like these, the team would likely have been unstoppable these past few years. Someone with that level of intelligence running the strings and holding administrative power would've extended Barca's reign as the undisputed dominant club in Europe.

Oh well, it's purely a fantasy. Things could never have gone THAT perfectly.

Yeah. Robert is way over his head. I'm not expecting much anymore, it is what it is... Next season will likely be problematic again. With either Unzue or Valverde, or both.

Messi983

I liked this interview.

Based on his answers regarding Thiago and Bellerin I think it's more likely we'll bring back Thiago and look for another RB than Bellerin and I would be more than ok with that.

I'm not really a fan of Thiago returning but given all rumours aside I still don't believe PSG will sell Verratti so Thiago is probably still our best midfield option out there and maybe he could have some interest to return.

I would be happy with transfer window if we can get Thiago, Fabinho/Sidibe/some other RB not named Cancelo or Bellerin and maybe Lemos/Davinson Sanchez/one of the young french CBs we were connected to... Then I would also execute buy-back clause on Deulofeu. Samper and Munir will also return from their loans and I would give them a chance in preseason to convince new coach but another loan would probably be the best for them to get regular playing time.

If Barça B get promoted I would keep Alena, let him train with first team and play regularly in Segunda but also give him some first team minutes in Copa del Rey or easier home league games. If Barça B stays in Segunda B then he should leave on loan to La Liga team. I really hope Oscar Garcia will get a chance at some Primera team next season and if that happens I would loan one or possibly both Samper and Alena to him. Don't really know what to do with Marlon but he probably needs more top level experience as well before we promote him.

serghei

Things aren't great imo. I'm usually optimistic, but we are in unsure territories here. Nobody knows exactly what system do we want to play, where will we use Messi, what will be the situation with the RB spot after Aleix Vidal will get back and so on.

khaled_a_d

That was a very good interview tbh, mix between honest opinions and diplomatic answer

-Him stressing on being the one choosing the coach is some kind honest,the worst coach we have chosen was Tata and that was when sporting director left out of it. the board doesn't have Crujif on their side so such decision should be left to those with football knowledge. He is the one who is gonna pay the price if coach failed,no problem in him being honest.
-Barca DNA can b interpreted in many ways,but probably it means he already narrowed/decided his options and the likes of Sampaoli are out of it.I don't have a problem with that tbh,was expected and all our candidates aren't that gr8 anyway.
-Gomes answer is very diplomatic one,if next coach don't like him and Mendes came with an offer he is leaving,Robert has no choice but saying he is staying.
-Saying no to former La Masia is gr8 thing,saying we will promote some players is also very good news
-He said a midfielder will be signed along a RB,if he adds young CB for the future and a good winger then "not many signings" is very reasonable here

Isn't it the future coach who should take a decision about that ?

Number of transfers? No. who they are? yes along sporting director

Messi983

Things aren't great imo. I'm usually optimistic, but we are in unsure territories here. Nobody knows exactly what system do we want to play, where will we use Messi, what will be the situation with the RB spot after Aleix Vidal will get back and so on.

I agree we are in unsure territories but am not worried about that at this point. It's understandable we (fans) don't know what system we'll play before we find out who our new coach will be. But I'm sure that whoever we'll choose (right now I'd say it's about 90% chances that will be Unzue) will have prefered system in his mind when taking over. If it will be Unzue he'll also have a real advantage of already knowing the players so he won't need 4 or 6 months to know them. People will say "it's Barça, everyone knows our players" but from coaches perspective it's one thing watching those players on TV or coaching his team against them (in Valverde's case, as I think he's really the only other realistic option besides Unzue) and another working with them every day on trainings. Unzue has worked with those players for years so he knows all their (dis)advantages and could start implementing his own ideas/tactics from day one of preseason.

About Vidal, that's one of my last worries right now. He'll be a backup RB (and possibly also play some games as RM/RW) to whichever RB we'll buy in summer. That's if we keep him which I think we should and will, because otherwise we need to bring in 2 new RBs unless new coach will suddenly show a lot of faith in Palencia/Nili which is unlikely. That said, I would absolutely give Palencia a chance during the next season in Copa del Rey and some easier home league games (while he keeps to play regularly for Barça B, who will hopefully be promoted to Segunda to see how Palencia - and our other youngsters - can do against a better competition) to see if he can potentially take over as backup RB in 2018 and then maybe we could sell Vidal after he'll hopefully recover well and play good next season to get his value up.

BarçaBarça

I think it is logical that we don't sign as many players as last summer, even though we get a new coach. We need quality CM and RB, the rest is adjustments, although important ones (CB-promotion/younger blood, figure out who is main LW/RW-backup etc.).

We spend 90 M net last year. I'm curious of our budget this year, because I really can't see us getting more than 40-50 M income from selling players.

As for the coach, I actually think it wouldn't be such a bad idea to get a Barca-man who knows the club and the immense pressure. Coaching barca eats people alive, and there is no time to adjust before results has to be coming.

Cool

I think it is logical that we don't sign as many players as last summer, even though we get a new coach. We need quality CM and RB, the rest is adjustments, although important ones (CB-promotion/younger blood, figure out who is main LW/RW-backup etc.).

We spend 90 M net last year. I'm curious of our budget this year, because I really can't see us getting more than 40-50 M income from selling players.

As for the coach, I actually think it wouldn't be such a bad idea to get a Barca-man who knows the club and the immense pressure. Coaching barca eats people alive, and there is no time to adjust before results has to be coming.

The most realistic post I've read about next season, that's what will happen. I think an RB is definitely this summer and I think we'll either get a CM or a RW, the choice of which to get will depend on the new manager if he wants to continue with Messi as an RW or moving him to play behind Suarez.

F

FlaFCB

[tw]845220040299339778[/tw]

This quotes seem valid to me, regarding Robert.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Sadly, yes. Ignoring la Masia and bringing in players that don't suit Barca philosophy.

Let's see what happens this summer re. new manager and signings.

Messi983

I think it is logical that we don't sign as many players as last summer, even though we get a new coach.

We probably also didn't plan to get 6 new players last year. According to all rumours our initial plan was probably to buy CB, LB, backup to MSN and bringing back Denis. Gomes was probably just an opportunity they liked. And of course we had to buy new GK after Bravo decided to leave.

So while it's likely we only plan to buy 2 or 3 players this summer we could in the end again sign 4 or 5 if someone will want to leave or if we get a good offer for a player we currently don't plan to sell but could decide to do that later.

F

FlaFCB

Gave an interview to md. Nothing that he hadn't already said in the other recent one.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
His interview always struck me as a bit timid and lacking ambitions and vision.

I am afraid with this guy sitting at the helm quality players will continue to slip through us. When is his contract up? He needs to go.

Sorin

So what i get from the interview is that he is the sole responsible for picking the next manager? Then, if he fails, he'll pack his bags?

Hopefully it doesn't get to that point since that would mean that our season would be a failure but at least someone is going to be held accountable for our piss poor transfer dealings.

Home of Barca Fans