Cruyff's 3-4-3

Banana-Rama

who says that we play 4-6-0?

massive distortion of tactics there

well primarily its a 4-6-0, its really not as complicated as people make it out to be, its a back four, the 3 in midfield, the two wide players and messi through the middle who drops deep to link with midfield, obviously it changes sometimes when busquets goes between the centre backs and they spread to cover the space left by the wing backs going forward, but primarily its a 4-6-0, which sometimes changes to a 3-7-0.

House of Flies

all your bases belong to us
erm no. 4-6-0 is a completely different system to barcelona's 4-3-3 even with a false 9.

reason- 4-6-0 relies on attacking from deep positions and interchanging of positions at all times to confuse defenders. barcelona's 4-3-3 is based of primary 2 wide forwards that make inside runs to exploit positional gaps. but those 2 wide forwards typically never make attacking runs with the ball from deep positions.

Guardian

where did you read that cruyff used 3-4-3? Goal.com again? Or in some popular yankee's website? Why are you all falsifying history? Actually it was 4-3-3 , he rarely used 3-4-3, only at home games with weaker opponents

Here was the team in the EC final in 1994, I clearly remember it, I have it on tape also.

Zubi
Ferrer--Nando--Koeman--J. Carlos
----Guardiola---Bakero
---------Laudrup
Eusebio---Salinas---Stoichkov

then the final with Milan two years later:
Zubi
Ferrer--Nadal--Koeman--Sergi
----Guardiola---Amor
---------Bakero
Txiki---Romario---Stoichkov

Cruyff himself established and developed the universal 4-3-3 system that is present today, it's only Guardiola made it more mobile, using fake striker(s)

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
so what would you call the barcelona formation?

I wouldn't call it anything. I would classify it as a 3-4-3 to 4-3-3 hybrid depending on the situation, location of the ball, and most importantly, who owns the ball at that specific moment in time.

When attacking they are a 3-4-3 whereby Sergio drops back in between Pique and El Capitan [3] while Bilal and WMD Alves move forward to join Xaviesta [4], and Leo has two of Villa/Pedro/Asexis on either side of him [3]. When they have lost the ball during an attack and are trying to win it back, Sergio remains with Pique and El Capitan while the WB presses on the side of the field where the ball was lost (90% of the time that's WMD Alves). When the opposition is magically able to maintain possession of the ball for more than 10 seconds, the WBs reset to defensive line, Busquets pushes up to either mark someone important or provide an outlet from the defender to Xaviesta or Leo. Both wingers (Villa/Pedro/Asexis) will be asked, no, their presence to track back and over opposing WBs or wingers is a must and Leo will cover the centre of the pitch with Xaviesta.

that's a horrifically simplified version of what FCB tries to do. I have not done justice to the intricacy of how this team plays and why I am completely unable to watch other teams play. I am spoiled. I love it.

Birdy

Villarreal are full-serious.

they just couldn't get the ball.

still, it depends on the team. if we're facing a side who play with loads of width then this formation wouldn't work. but Villarreal don't play with loads of width, so... yeah.

@meta
thanx man
at last, some sense in the forum..

Pep has not discovered a new novelty ready to take the world with it...
He is a master in tactical experimentation and he has shown how he can adapt to special opponents tactically also..
every year he has plan B or plan C (tactically).. And thnx god these plans are not 'a tall guy in the box'. in 08-09 pep played the classic 4-3-3 and his plan B was in the end of the season (most important games) to take messi away and play him false 9, which is now our permanent system. In 09-10 he played a couple of times 4-2-4 with great success.. In 10-11 he played a 3-4-3 (5-2-3) with wing backs that demolished atletico and the scoreline should have been 1-5..
He always tries new things..

What Meta says is the essence of it..
This system applies only with teams featuring 2 upfront... It will fail against any other modern (4-2-3-1, 4-1-2-3) that uses wingers and a lone striker..
Against a very low-quality team, maybe this is not so evident, but you cannot risk vs medium and good teams..
that is why we will continue with the 4-3-3 in the crucial stages..

oz187

This system applies only with teams featuring 2 upfront... It will fail against any other modern (4-2-3-1, 4-1-2-3) that uses wingers and a lone striker..

Even that is not necessarily true. This is a really attacking system with Pedro and Sanchez playing really wide and far forward. If you get the ball to them they then have a 1 on 1 with a full back. The other players like Messi, Fabregas, Iniesta and Thiago are all able to go wide as well and support the wingers. Facing a lone striker one of the Barca defenders has a license to go forward(against Villarreal Abidal got forward a lot). Then even if you win the ball it's hard to get enough players forward. The lone striker is isolated against the 2 defenders.

In the Champions League final in Rome against Utd Rooney was playing wide and dropping deep to try and stop Messi. But this took him out of the game in an attacking sense as he wasn't able to get forward to support the attack. Barca's game is predicted on having control of the ball, and forcing the oppositions attacking players to defend as a way of preventing them from using their attacking skills. The fluid 3-4-3 is just a way of magnifying that.

W

Worms

Even that is not necessarily true. This is a really attacking system with Pedro and Sanchez playing really wide and far forward. If you get the ball to them they then have a 1 on 1 with a full back. The other players like Messi, Fabregas, Iniesta and Thiago are all able to go wide as well and support the wingers. Facing a lone striker one of the Barca defenders has a license to go forward(against Villarreal Abidal got forward a lot). Then even if you win the ball it's hard to get enough players forward. The lone striker is isolated against the 2 defenders.

In the Champions League final in Rome against Utd Rooney was playing wide and dropping deep to try and stop Messi. But this took him out of the game in an attacking sense as he wasn't able to get forward to support the attack. Barca's game is predicted on having control of the ball, and forcing the oppositions attacking players to defend as a way of preventing them from using their attacking skills. The fluid 3-4-3 is just a way of magnifying that.

The most epic part of the 2011 CL Final for me was when Valencia got the ball by Uniteds box then before he could even turn Abidal came out of nowhere and tackled him.Uniteds wingers where marking our fullbacks :lol:

A

Albatros

And it is back :party1:

It brings back memories of the Dream Team. I wonder if Pep is going to use this system often.

Attacking wise it is by far the most entertaining. The last team to use it successfully at the highest level was Van Gaal's Ajax of the mid 90's

Last edited:

Birdy

the problem is not only the lone striker, but the winger + striker.
So, both 3 makes a 3 vs 3 at the back, which is a 'must not' situation for every coach..
Imagine facing Madrid.. even with pique, puyol, abidal the back three, do you want them to face ronaldo, di maria and higuain on 3 vs 3 ?

You can be wildly exposed in a case like that..
the extra player in the md can do nothing to prevent that, because they transfer the ball quickly to the area they have advantage and they attack through the wing all the time..
Pep is not a fool.. He knows that well..
You wont see 3-4-3 against madrid, or any other top team playing lone striker and wingers.. Remeber me..

On the contrary, it was the perfect system to face villareal with the strange 4-2-2-2 they play.. It is the perfect system also to face any team with 2 men upfront and no width...

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans