Cruyff's 3-4-3

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
I love reading what everyone has said. "House of files" I saw that the way you had the 4 in the middle on your chart was different, than how Cruijff had them. He used the 4 in the middle as a diamond in the middle. If you get a chance, find this on youtube, "Cruijff legt de ruit uit" if you can't speak Dutch just watch what he draws on the chart starting at 3:30.

yeah, that's a great video.

Valdés
Piqué Puyol Abidal
Busquets
Xavi Iniesta
Pedro Messi Adriano
Villa​

we already played 343 to great effect in the Mestalla this season, but it was traditional style with a flat midfield. but a Cruyff-style variant could be an interesting plan B if Dani is ever injured or suspended.

S

Solrac

Valdés
Piqué Puyol Abidal
Busquets
Xavi Iniesta
Pedro Messi Adriano
Villa​

we already played 343 to great effect in the Mestalla this season, but it was traditional style with a flat midfield. but a Cruyff-style variant could be an interesting plan B if Dani is ever injured or suspended.
That diamond in the middle looks great.

How do I put a picture in my profile?

Trequartista

The good

Valdés
Piqué Puyol Abidal
Busquets
Xavi Iniesta
Pedro Messi Adriano
Villa​

Not Sure about that to be honest even when a back of three you will need a wingback to pick up the opponent's wingers,Pedro and Adriano are playing too high on the pitch in that formation and the team it will be easy for the team to be exposed from the wings in that formation since they cannot cover the whole pitch ,plus if the trio Pique,Puyol,Abidal play together,it will be Pique as a sweeper centrally not Puyol where Puyol can be better in covering the wingback,Pique can do his playmaking role having a decent options for distribution,either a short pass to Xaviniesta who are the secondy plamakers,a long ball to the wingback who will make the run or a short ball to the other wingback who will help in the build up,he even can push to midfield when needed,interesting also that the pep used the system which is more of a three back line 2 times against kazan and Valencia,in both times it was Busquetes as a swepeer,so it will be him or Pique in that role,no other options available in my opinion
Valdes
Puyol Pique/Sergio Abidal
Badger/Sergio
Dani Xavi Iniesta Adriano/new left WB
Messi
Villa
sth like a 3-1-4-2 it will risk losing Pedro but this may mean more freedom for Alves plus it looks that Pep will only use this formation when he needs the game to continue as a 0-0 then bring on Pedro for one of the defenders to snatch a goal sth he did against Valencia and will probably use this system again in el madrigal and maybe at the Bernabue,the team will probably go for a decent left wingback in the summer to give Pep more options to play this system

How do I put a picture in my profile?

my profile from the top then edit avatar

B

barcelona6

My take would be to field a 1-2-1-2-1-2-1 formation as a variant on the 3-4-3; the twist is that there would be 0 fullbacks & 2 DM

IMO it could be brilliant for us; but I think we need lots of readjustments to make it fit.

In an ideal world that's how it would look like:

-------------------- Valdes --------------------

-------------------- Pique ---------------------
--------- Chielleni ---------- Puyol ----------
-------------------- Xavi -----------------------
--------- Mascherano------ Busquets-------
-------------------- Pastore -------------------
----------- Messi ------------ Pato------------
------------------- Torres ----------------------

I tried to keep it to current players that we already have + potential signings that have been linked to us// are realistic enough to be contemplated.
But one could always replace Chielleni//Pastore//Pato//Torres with Millito//Iniesta//Pedro//Villa. I think it would still work fine if we could replace Milito with a more solid player; but then it seems that Pep has been already forking a bit with the 3-4-3 so we will see what the future holds for it.

:lol:

Yes lets play with no full backs with Messi and Pato to both cut in on to there strongest foot,play with zero width :lol:

Play Xavi DM and Macherano CM :lol:

Lets get rid of Alves and Iniesta and buy Torres :lol:

Genius.

XaviMessiGirl

If you don't want to be banned again I would suggest not laughing at someone else's opinion when you're already on thin ice... if you disagree with someone please do it in a not so rude manner.

TheStig

This post is a bit off-topic but it's about our formation nevertheless. Anyone thinks we should at times play 4-2-2-2 with two DMs?

.........Valdes.......
Alves....Puyol...Pique...Abidal
......Mascherano...Busquets....
.......Xavi...........Iniesta...
......Messi.....Villa/Pedro

I know Barca don't defend and I prefer our usual 4-3-3 but I think this could be a solution if it ever happens that we are in the lead and the other team is attacking us heavily.

Jesse1509

Detalles, detalles, siempre detalles
^ No way. Without wingers we wouldn't have enough width, I think. I prefer a 4-3-3, or even a 5-2-3 when we're under pressure.

BigChill

I'd tried 4-3-3 formation in PES 2011.
Normal : GK : Valdes
DF : Alves-Pique-Puyol-Adriano
MF : Xavi-Busquets-Iniesta
FW : Messi-Ibrahimovic-Villa

The position I've edited is : GK : Valdes
DF : Puyol-Pique-Milito-Caceres
MF : Keita/Alcantara-Busquets-Xavi
FW : Ibrahimovic/Iniesta-Messi-Villa/Ibrahimovic

Normally, Messi isn't pure striker but I can drop him in the midfield line(sounds like a false nine forward). The result is, the opponent's defence can be broken down so his fellow players have open space to shoot on goal. Yes, Messi is very dangerous in "center forward" role and very effective to use though he sometimes can score the goal.Why can't I use Alves, Adriano or Maxwell in sideback line ? These players can attack well but slowly defend the line. That's why I concern about this so I must strengthen my defence. But that's only my favourite tactic personally.

fcb1

................valdes
......puyol...pique...abidal
..............busquets
.........xavi..........iniesta
....alves...messi.....pedro
................villa

Yugi

..........................valdes
.....^.....puyol...pique...abidal
.....^................busquets
..alves.........xavi..........iniesta
............villa........messi........pedro

always like that, in future we will need very strong and attack minded RB and I would like to see Mauricio Isla when Alves will lose his pace, form, magique in future

BigChill

I think that the 1st formation before I edited in PES 2011 is the truth except Messi 's position. He's still the false nine player. So the formation is :
GK : Valdes
DF : Alves-Pique-Puyol-Adriano
MF : Xavi-Busquets-Iniesta
FW : Ibrahimovic-Messi-Villa

NB : I plotted Messi the same position as Villa and Ibra, yes, as a second striker. With this, the opponent cannot mark one of them.

Last edited:

Tomchin

Sorry for digging up this old thread, but could anyone tell me something more about the 3-men defence in Cruyff's 3-4-3? Which 3 players usually played in that defence? Was it Koeman at CB, Sergi Barjuan at LB, and Albert Ferrer at RB?

That seems extremely offensive, no? From what I remember, Sergi Barjuan was a very offensive LB, no? What about Albert Ferrer?

Home of Barca Fans