What happened to Barca?

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Struggling to find the answer. And maybe there isn't one but more.
Fifa virus, bad winter signings, lack of rotations, diva attitudes...

How does a team that plays best football collapse like this in few weeks?

Topolino

Gemusesuppe
1. Me getting drunk before every game
2. Me watching the games from Setanta sports
3. Annie being in Barcelona
4. Me running out of booze before the games end.
5. Annie being in Barcelona.
6. Annie is in Barcelona.
7. Why is she still in Barcelona.
8. Oh my god tickets to Barcelona cost so much.
9. She's still in Barcelona
10. Not enough coffe for XI
11. The Snickers factory stopped working in Barcelona
12. Not enough burgers to keep MSN happy.
13. MSN don't score with their women anymore, so they stopped scoring on the field too
14. Lucho lost his mojo
15. Barto got reelected
16. Annies is actually still in Barcelona
17. Her dog is probably hungry by now.
18. Annie, take care of your dog.
19. I need a hug now

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
20. Kloe and one night in Paris
21. Saving themselves for Copa America
22. Tata's season curse

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
My theory is that contrary to us fans seeing it as "10 games left to the trebble" so players could give a final push ... all of our players have important national tournaments this season to play so they can't adopt that mindset, April was just another month in the middle of a year that will have almost no holidays for them..

It's the only way I can explain this collective drop in form and attitude on the pitch.

barcafan161

tireness by playing two games a week for 3 months
not enough depth

yet we are still on track for the league and cup double.

Kohe321

My theory is that contrary to us fans seeing it as "10 games left to the trebble" so players could give a final push ... all of our players have important national tournaments this season to play so they can't adopt that mindset, April was just another month in the middle of a year that will have almost no holidays for them..

It's the only way I can explain this collective drop in form and attitude on the pitch.

Yup, and add to that some very hectic international breaks with qualification matches, as well as the Fifa Club World Cup we played before Christmas, the fatigue (both mental and physical) really started to take its toll on many of our players around March-April.

As I wrote when we lost to Atletico in the CL - I am sure they are motivated "on paper", but subconsciously they do not have that same fire that drove them one year ago before we won the treble.

Add to all this a summer full of NT tournaments that is ever approaching and constantly in the minds of our National Team bound players, and you have a recipe for an end-of-season stumble. Luckily we seem to be getting out of it with our heads above water, with the fate of the Liga in our own hands and good chances to take the CDR as well. :)

Last edited:

xXKonan

Seemed like the Team is Mentally and Physically spent.

International break hit us like a bunch of bricks and we fell apart since the Villarreal match. we were on a free fall and after the Valencia match it came clear we can't make anymore mistakes or we are done. Messi and Suarez finally starting to reignite their Form again Despite Neymar being awful for the past 4 months.

Three more Finals to go and we can do it.

Antimadridista1

Lack of quality players in the squad caused lack of intensity and defensive involvement from all the players, particularly the three forwards.
Real Madrid and Bayern got the likes of Isco, James, Jese, Varane, Ribery/Costa, Gotze on the bench while we have Munir, Rafinha, Bartra, Vermaelen.

My opinion is that we need to sell Vermaelen, Munir, Arda and buy a young world class center back like Marquinhos to compete with Masche and Pique, + a versatile forward like Dybala. We also need a midfielder to rotate with Iniesta and Rakitic, because Arda just doesn't fit. I wouldn't mind Saul or Koke.

i_bleed_blaugrana

For me its like 80% fatigue, which was due to our lack of quality squad players. The only true players who really offer anything for us off the bench is Rafinha and maybe on a good day Vidal, but he hasn't played at all. Arda has just been really disappointing and he was supposed to be someone who could offer us more depth and it's clear he is not clicking here. Remember that we could only make two signings this season so that really limited our ability to gain depth as well.

I think its important however to take this in perspective because granted we hit a bad run of form at a crucial time, this season it felt more like we just didn't have enough gas in us unlike in the past where it was systemic failure. Big difference and the main dent we had was getting knocked out of CL and even still, despite the fact that we didn't play up to standard in the 2nd leg and in parts of the 1st, we didn't get blown out. It wasn't 7-0 like Bayern or anything, it was a very close tie and the same against Real, where we were the better team for a majority of that game as well. The gigs not up, we haven't been found out or exposed, we just slowed down and the games caught up with everyone. With more depth and more options next season, no reason to expect Barca can't win it all again, so its not a crisis or collapse. Particularly if we maintain a domestic double.

Lack of quality players in the squad caused lack of intensity and defensive involvement from all the players, particularly the three forwards.
Real Madrid and Bayern got the likes of Isco, James, Jese, Varane, Ribery/Costa, Gotze on the bench while we have Munir, Rafinha, Bartra, Vermaelen.

My opinion is that we need to sell Vermaelen, Munir, Arda and buy a young world class center back like Marquinhos to compete with Masche and Pique, + a versatile forward like Dybala. We also need a midfielder to rotate with Iniesta and Rakitic, because Arda just doesn't fit. I wouldn't mind Saul or Koke.

Like yes 95% except Saul or Koke. Believe it or not, the player from Atletico who I think would best fit us is Oliver Torres, despite the fact that he hasn't looked the greatest this season. I mainly think that's due to stylistic differences in his play and what Simeone needs from his players and he usually plays on the wing when his best position is through the center.

For me, Marquinhos, Dybala, and either Tielemans, Bazoer, Oliver Torres or Verratti/Gundogan (if we have to sign a big name MF) and that would be a good summer. We kinda need a LB sub for Alba but honestly, Adriano can get it done for at least another season subbing in CdR games.

Home of Barca Fans