Eric Garcia (loaned to Girona)

khaled_a_d

but has not shown anything amazing yet and certainly not to be swapping with Semedo.

I can't find anything about swapping him with Semedo, it seems he is one of the names mentioned, but I doubt it is direct swap. Probably just part of the deal

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Barca are looking to sign him on a free transfer next season. His contract runs out in 2021 and he's apparently leaning towards not signing a new contract given Pep can say Hasta la Vista anytime.

JamDav1982

I can't find anything about swapping him with Semedo, it seems he is one of the names mentioned, but I doubt it is direct swap. Probably just part of the deal

There hasnt been mention of it and that was response to someone on here saying would swap them.

Porque

Get him in the Semedo deal. Something like 35-40m+Eric Garcia.

Not that I see him getting many more chances here. He is still, what, 4th CB option.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
His agents apparently claim it ends in 2021, but perhaps Man City have an option to extend it for another year like Man Utd have negotiated for a lot of the players they've signed in recent history.

xXKonan

I remember reading some impressions from City fans that while he's great on the ball there is some worry that he may lack the Physique and Athleticism to be a good long term CB option at Man City.

Maybe one of the reasons why Pep prefers to play the likes of Fernandinho at CB and even persist in Otamendi even though the guy makes a number of mistakes.

FC433

Would not sign him back. I would rather extend Xavier Mbuyamba's contract and give him a chance. We also have Mingo and Araujo. Koulibaly, Konate, and Monaco's Badiashile are my picks if we are to sign a new CB.

Andresito

Staff member
Yeah it was never implied he was going to be a straight swap for Semedo. A more reasonable deal would be Cancelo + Garcia for Semedo if no cash is involved. But that deal is questionable.

If Garcia is on board we could pick him up for free for next season, but that would probably mean no CB signing this summer. Would be good for him with an adaptation year.

Messi983

Sign him for free and plan to sell him off for 20 million like Todibo

Classic Barca market strategy.

Still a much better strategy than buying players for 100m only to loan them out after two seasons, lol.

I remember reading some impressions from City fans that while he's great on the ball there is some worry that he may lack the Physique and Athleticism to be a good long term CB option at Man City.

Maybe one of the reasons why Pep prefers to play the likes of Fernandinho at CB and even persist in Otamendi even though the guy makes a number of mistakes.

I wonder what United fans were saying about Pique back in the days. Probably something similar. Physique and athleticisim are not as required in La Liga as in the EPL.

I'm not saying Garcia would turn into the next Pique if he returns but I wouldn't mind him back for free/cheap. But he would be an obvious longterm replacement for Pique not someone to play with him. We should still look for a more athletic/faster CB, preferably this year though I'm starting to doubt we'll really get one.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Still a much better strategy than buying players for 100m only to loan them out after two seasons, lol.

I wonder what United fans were saying about Pique back in the days. Probably something similar. Physique and athleticisim are not as required in La Liga as in the EPL.

I'm not saying Garcia would turn into the next Pique if he returns but I wouldn't mind him back for free/cheap. But he would be an obvious longterm replacement for Pique not someone to play with him. We should still look for a more athletic/faster CB, preferably this year though I'm starting to doubt we'll really get one.

United fans did say same thing about Pique as he was ripped to bits in a couple of games vs smaller pacey players.

Difference was Pique also had performed in La Liga prior to Barca signing him and it was not a heralded signing more seen as a cheap signing to see how would work out.

Folk act like Garcia is second coming of Pique and future of club. Was not the same for Pique he was more of a cheaper punt on a player that exploded.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I would be happy to see him return. He was a leader at every youth level and Catalan to boot.

I struggle to see this coming true but let's see what happens with his contract situation at City

Messi983

United fans did say same thing about Pique as he was ripped to bits in a couple of games vs smaller pacey players.

Difference was Pique also had performed in La Liga prior to Barca signing him and it was not a heralded signing more seen as a cheap signing to see how would work out.

Folk act like Garcia is second coming of Pique and future of club. Was not the same for Pique he was more of a cheaper punt on a player that exploded.

I dont' see him as a second coming of Pique. If he can turn out to be a longterm starter then great if not we're far from set longterm at the position with only Lenglet potentially being here after 2022 (Pique could retire by then, Umtiti can't be relied on to stay healthy and should be sold for whatever we can get and Todibo will 99% be sold this year to get money we need; Araujo and other Barca B CBs are just a big unknown at this point but not very likely anyone of them will really make it at the club) and ideally Lenglet should be a 3rd/4th CB not a starter.

So we'll need to bring 2-3 more CBs and even if Garcia will only be good enough to be a bench player for a few years and then sold when we find someone better I think his talent and knowledge of Barca's system (so he wouldn't need a lot of time to adapt) are still worth a risk. But he must show his intention to return. First by not accepting a new contract at City and second, if his contract is expiring in 2022 and not next year he should talk with Pep (like Pique did with SAF) and tell him he wants to return home and they should let him go for a fair price for a still unproven (unless he'll make a breakthrough next season and establish himself as a starter at City but then I doubt we'll ever get him) player with a year left on his contract.

Home of Barca Fans