Eric Garcia (loaned to Girona)

vuji_31

Imagine going for Mustafi instead of Garcia.

Good thing is that this hitx board can't make transfers

Messi983

Seems Arsenal interested in him, and their fans on twitter really, really hate it

I wouldn't mind if he'd go there. Haven't really watched him that much but from what I've seen he's another slowish CB who's not great at defending. If he wouldn't be a former La Masia player I doubt we'd even be interested in him.

Andresito

Staff member
I wouldn't mind if he'd go there. Haven't really watched him that much but from what I've seen he's another slowish CB who's not great at defending. If he wouldn't be a former La Masia player I doubt we'd even be interested in him.

Why is this an issue? If he can be a backup at City he surely can be that at Barca as well.

He's free and absolutely loves he club. Why wouldn't the club make a bet on him?
There's literally nothing to lose. Worst case he goes the Bartra path and is sold for 12m.
If not CB maybe he can become a good DM?

Sounds very much like Pedri this description. Not fully developed but a very high footballing IQ:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMWHBBG8aaU&ab_channel=DiarioAS

Also reposting this:
Pep Guardiola says Eric Garcia shares similarities with Barcelona great, Sergio Busquets.
The 18-year-old defender has impressed the Manchester City boss with his thirst for tactical knowledge since stepping up into the first team environment.

It?s a rare trait in one so young, Guardiola admits, but it?s something he recalls identifying in the young Busquets, who he helped become one of the finest holding midfielders in the world whilst at Barcelona.

?Busquets [was like that] when he was young,? the Catalan said when asked if Garcia reminds him of any other player he?s worked with.

?When I was in the second team at Barcelona and the first team, he was so curious. In that age, at 17 or 18-years-old, there are not many.

?But in the squad, there are people who love to understand the tactics and guys who don?t like to talk about that. That doesn?t mean you?re good or bad.

?He?s just 18-years-old and has lots to learn, but he is so clever,? added Guardiola. ?Everything you say to him, he understands immediately.

?I heard something when he was in the Barcelona academy, that he was a captain in all the teams,? explained the boss.

?He arrived here and immediately he was captain. That means he settled incredibly well with the team. He is an incredibly lovely guy, very well educated and always knows exactly what he has to do.

vuji_31

Didn't know that he is that young.
He have some quality, but he is still young. He can develop even more.

If you ask me, this is great transfer. But he need to play with Araujo or Pique, because he seems weak and could be easily to push.

Anyway miles better then Mustafi,Umtiti,Murillo and other garbage players.

Again he is only 18. And he has been playing for Man City for Guardiola. That means something.

Andresito

Staff member

If you ask me, this is great transfer. But he need to play with Araujo or Pique, because he seems weak and could be easily to push.

Again he is only 18. And he has been playing for Man City for Guardiola. That means something.

He's 19 now. 20 in 2 weeks.

Mrgandalf

Curious member

I think he need to pair with Araujo. Two different profiles ... they can somehow complete each other and have kids and live a long happy life together. Seriously...they both have leadership skills.

Messi983

Why is this an issue? If he can be a backup at City he surely can be that at Barca as well.

He's free and absolutely loves he club. Why wouldn't the club make a bet on him?

If he loves the club so much then why did he leave in first place? Also, my point was that if he'd be some Brazilian kid who would be a 5th choice CB at City then all those La Masia cultists who wants him back now would be crying out loud on twitter how he's another example of money laundering, lol.

We already have backups in Lenglet and Mingueza. I don't think Garcia would be a big improvement over them. We need a starter quality CB to put alongside Araujo (who is also far away from proven enough to be a starter but I'd give him a nod for now as it's unlikely we could bring in two new starters). I don't think Garcia will ever be good enough for that nor he fits a profile I'd prefer.

If we get him then ok but he would be just an uninspiring signing for me.

vuji_31

There is no money. Any young, decent and free player is jackpot for club.

Better to have Garcia as option then Umtiti.

I am not saying that he is gonna ve great but , concidering situation...

khaled_a_d

Problem with Garcia is opportunity cost, we could sign for him and then don't go for another CB at all, which could be a disaster

Andresito

Staff member
If he loves the club so much then why did he leave in first place? Also, my point was that if he'd be some Brazilian kid who would be a 5th choice CB at City then all those La Masia cultists who wants him back now would be crying out loud on twitter how he's another example of money laundering, lol.

We already have backups in Lenglet and Mingueza. I don't think Garcia would be a big improvement over them. We need a starter quality CB to put alongside Araujo (who is also far away from proven enough to be a starter but I'd give him a nod for now as it's unlikely we could bring in two new starters). I don't think Garcia will ever be good enough for that nor he fits a profile I'd prefer.

If we get him then ok but he would be just an uninspiring signing for me.

Puyol convinced him to join City for whatever reason.

Maybe it's just me but with Barca being Barca, I have no problem that we look out for our La Masians. Not to the extent that Roberto becomes the undisputed starter when his level is far from that, but if we have the opportunity to bring home a talented player and have his future in our own hands, we for sure should do it.

As for if he was Brazilian I still would be pretty excited, same as I was with Todibo.
City have tried to extend his contract, so it's not like he's only highly regarded in Barcelona.

Getting Garcia is nothing but smart business. Experience from a big team in England, homegrown, 20 years old and free.

Thiago Silva at same age didn't look more of a man than Garcia does today. He still has much room to grow. Sure it's reasonable to keep expectations low, but it's unfair to write him off before he's even arrived.

Home of Barca Fans