Scandinavian football

Trickykid

scandinavia900.png

Right, I know there's already an other leagues thread, but it's about time that we got ourselves a true viking thread.

Granted, aside from Zlatan and to a lesser degree Eriksen, there's not a whole lot going on in terms of prolific Scandinavians in top teams in top European leagues, but every once in a while, there are teams like Malmö, Molde and FC Copenhagen qualifying for he ChL (with various degrees of success), and we always have our share of talents on the fringe of breaking through internationally.

Anyhow, to kick it off, I wanted to ask our resident Swedes if you guys can tell me anything about Gustaf Nilsson who was recently signed by my (nearly) local side, Brøndby? Apparently he's a pretty decent talent, but aside from him being bloody tall and young, I haven't got the faintest idea what he's like. So, yeah, I'm looking at you [MENTION=695]Galning[/MENTION], [MENTION=20286]El Flaco[/MENTION] and of course any other Swedes in here.

Morten

There is much less interest, culture, and perhaps most importantly, less resources in scandinavian football. Players like Zlatan doesnt come around very often. Norway, for example, havent had a world class player in god knows how long, just a decent international here and there. For the scandinavian teams, just reaching CL is above expectations, i hope RBK can do it this year, but its going to be difficult.

Trickykid

There is much less interest, culture, and perhaps most importantly, less resources in scandinavian football. Players like Zlatan doesnt come around very often. Norway, for example, havent had a world class player in god knows how long, just a decent international here and there. For the scandinavian teams, just reaching CL is above expectations, i hope RBK can do it this year, but its going to be difficult.

How's that young, tall and lanky midfielder of yours doing? The name escapes me, but a year or so ago, he was all over the Interweb, with people claiming that he could be a bigger talent than Ødegaard himself. I'm guessing he was 16 back then, playing regularly for his Tippeligaen side and looking fairly interesting from the youtube clips I watched.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
How's that young, tall and lanky midfielder of yours doing? The name escapes me, but a year or so ago, he was all over the Interweb, with people claiming that he could be a bigger talent than Ødegaard himself. I'm guessing he was 16 back then, and looked fairly interesting from the youtube clips I watched.

Martin Samuelsen?

On loan to Peterborough United from West Ham and doing great. I personally rate him higher than Ødegaard.

He's playing consistently well in a very physical challenging league. Also played a few reserve games for West Ham where they met Liverpool's team and he was running circles around Skrtel(who eventually kicked him down and got sent off after getting frustrated all night), who is perhaps not the greatest defenders around, but still a Liverpool player in the Premier League.

Last edited:

Trickykid

Martin Samuelsen?

On loan to Peterborough United from West Ham and doing great. I personally rate him higher than Ødegaard.

He's playing consistently well in a very physical challenging league. Also played a few reserve games for West Ham where they met Liverpool's team and he was running circles around Skrtel(who eventually kicked him down and got sent off after getting frustrated all night), who is perhaps not the greatest defenders around, but still a Liverpool player in the Premier League.

He fits the description, but I'm fairly sure this one was playing in Tippeligaen. The name also doesn't really ring any bells.

DonAK

He fits the description, but I'm fairly sure this one was playing in Tippeligaen. The name also doesn't really ring any bells.

Samuelsen never played in Tippeligaen so can't be him then.

Not Rafik Zekhini who played against Dortmund is it? The guy is overrated and got a bigger ego than Cristiano Ronaldo.

Trickykid

Samuelsen never played in Tippeligaen so can't be him then.

Not Rafik Zekhini who played against Dortmund is it? The guy is overrated and got a bigger ego than Cristiano Ronaldo.

Nope, not that one either. I'm pretty sure he was blond, or at least not dark haired.

DonAK

Nope, not that one either. I'm pretty sure he was blond, or at least not dark haired.

Hmm... Can't remember anyone else tbh.

Ødegaard for all his flaws and the way he took the money route to Real Madrid, actually bossed the league here. Can't remember anyone being touted as possibly a bigger talent than him, or any player at his age doing so well here either.

Got him! Kristoffer Ajer it was.

Ah, okay. He'll join Celtic this summer.

Not followed him much, but from the little I've seen he's been okay.

Perhaps [MENTION=18429]Morten[/MENTION] [MENTION=16374]Kohe321[/MENTION] knows more.

Last edited:

Trickykid

Ødegaard for all his flaws and the way he took the money route to Real Madrid, actually bossed the league here. Can't remember anyone being touted as possibly a bigger talent than him, or any player at his age doing so well here either.

Perhaps [MENTION=18429]Morten[/MENTION] [MENTION=16374]Kohe321[/MENTION] knows more.

Aight, cheers buddy. Could be Internet hype blown out of proportion, but he did look interesting - especially his age taken into consideration.

Kohe321

Can't follow up with more information, sorry. I've only loosely been following Norwegian football recently, though I plans to do something about that and try and follow it a bit more closely now with the season just having started and everything. It can be quite fun even though the quality is so much lower than what I'm used to watching. In fact, it sort of makes me appreciate watching Barcelona even more. :)

Last edited:

Morten

I have heard of him, but i dont know much about him. If its not RBK-related, i dont care much for norwegian football in truth.

Morten

Bottom-line is, when it comes to Norway, what you need to know is that it is a skiing nation, first and foremost. Football is always popular, but skiing is where it is at in Norway. Probably because thats perhaps the only sport we really excel at, or maybe we excel at it because thats what our main focus has been for decades.

DonAK

Bottom-line is, when it comes to Norway, what you need to know is that it is a skiing nation, first and foremost. Football is always popular, but skiing is where it is at in Norway. Probably because thats perhaps the only sport we really excel at, or maybe we excel at it because thats what our main focus has been for decades.

That's what happens when you follow the England model where pace and physical attributes > everything else

Home of Barca Fans