Scandinavian football

BarçaBarça

Tough one...

Back before it all went down the drain, we had Laudrup as coach and a host of great players such as Agger, Elmander and Kahlenberg, who were all off to have various degrees of successful international careers.

Laudrup left along with most of our stalwarts, and we gambled on the manager front taking in people like Meuleensteen (?) who was assistant coach for Ferguson at Utd. That never worked out and all the coaches since him flunked equally bad. So, so, soooo much money was thrown down the drain on terrible transfers and that has been the pattern for around 10 years now; wrong managers and bad transfers.

Now we've signed Zorniger (?) for next season, a former Bundesliga coach who lastly flunked terribly with Stuttgart I think. His philosophy sounds interesting though, if somewhat naive, and we've basically signed him for 2 years without the option of firing him, so at least there's now a chance for some continuity. Economy is terribly, though, so I doubt we'll be able to afford the players he need to overhaul the squad for his system, so I'm not exactly optimistic for the near future.
Only bright points being our good youth work and steady fanbase. Those two factors gives me at least a sliver of a hope for the long run.

We (Brøndby) reportedly was close to signing Emre Mor 1½ years ago - those 10M.€ (fee from Dortmund) sure would make a difference right now :D :(

I think the problem have been that changing investors have donated so much money that they wanted a say in how the transfermoney were spent, that went horribly wrong time and time again (with expensive players like Farnerud, Jan Kristiansen etc.). We even saw it recently with our chairman wanting (and paying for) Agger, but also Elmander, who clearly wouldn't be a powerful sportsdirectors choice.

But as you say, the fanbase will always be there no matter what, and at least some youthplayers are coming through right now, and the situation is much much better and stable than 3 years ago.

Morten

Well then, every Norwegian team is out except for RBK, who is left to defend Norwegians honor in Europe. One more knockout stage and we will at least have made it to the EL.

Trickykid

Well then, every Norwegian team is out except for RBK, who is left to defend Norwegians honor in Europe. One more knockout stage and we will at least have made it to the EL.

SønderjyskE!

As we're speaking Brøndby are about to enter penalties against none other than Hibernian from the second best Scottish division :lol:

Edit: we won the shootout, meaning were into the next round, ready to be whooped by Hertha Berlin.

Last edited:

Morten

SønderjyskE!

As we're speaking Brøndby are about to enter penalties against none other than Hibernian from the second best Scottish division :lol:

Edit: we won the shootout, meaning were into the next round, ready to be whooped by Hertha Berlin.

Hertha Berlin isnt the nicest of opponents. We face APOEL or whatever they are called, from Greece i think. Odd wasted their shot by fielding reserve team in the first leg, if it wasnt for that they would have gone through, morons. Strømsgodset went out due to their own incompetence on the field. Stabæk went out in the first round against some irish pub team, lmao.

Morten

Its entertaining to watch RBK these days, especially at home, goal galore. Odd is still reasonably close though.

Morten

You didn't lose though did you?

Btw, you going to the UEFA Super Cup game? Madrid - Sevilla

2-1 victory, and given our questionable away form, and our total collapse the last 30 minutes, our chances are low. APOEL are said to be strong at home, i just dont see it happening. Well, we can still go to EL, which will be reasonable. Yeah, im going.

Trickykid

FC København earned a 1-1 draw yesterday at the Romanian champs, meaning they are big favorites to advance to the last qualification stage for the ChL.
In general FCK look ridiculously strong this season. They will walk the league and I could see them making it to the ChL.

SønderjyskE are playing the EL qualifiers right now, leading 2-0 away to some Polish team, which should see them advance as well. Edit: 1-2 now.

FC Midtjylland have FC Videoton, a Hungarian team, I know nothing off. I expect the Danes to advance too.

And then there's my own team, Brøndby IF. We face Hertha Berlin in Germany tonight. Initially I would have thought that we'd get a beating, but our start to the season under new German coach Zorniger has been really promising. Hertha themselves are having problems with injuries, and since the Bundesliga hasn't begun yet, we're obviously in much better shape. Who knows, perhaps well see an upset.

...I still wouldn't be one bit surprised if we get hammered, though.

Morten

After a 90 minutes display of good defensive play, RBK conceded not one, not two, but three goals in et. Total mental collapse, what the actual fuck. Yet we are still relatively far ahead of our domestic competition, and all of them are out of Europe already. Says alot about the current situation in the league, fuck this is depressing on so many levels. Well, EL-playoff it is then.

Trickykid

After a 90 minutes display of good defensive play, RBK conceded not one, not two, but three goals in et. Total mental collapse, what the actual fuck. Yet we are still relatively far ahead of our domestic competition, and all of them are out of Europe already. Says alot about the current situation in the league, fuck this is depressing on so many levels. Well, EL-playoff it is then.

It was in regular overtime and not the 30 mins extended time, right? That's rough man.

Morten

It was in regular overtime and not the 30 mins extended time, right? That's rough man.

Yes, in regular ET ffs. It has been become a theme for us in Europe, we do well most of the time, but we almost always chokes in the end. We cant keep our concentration up for 90+ minutes, same as last year, same as this. We are an almost-team in Europe, but so are the rest of the norwegian teams, actually even worse.

Trickykid

Yes, in regular ET ffs. It has been become a theme for us in Europe, we do well most of the time, but we almost always chokes in the end. We cant keep our concentration up for 90+ minutes, same as last year, same as this. We are an almost-team in Europe, but so are the rest of the norwegian teams, actually even worse.

Shame man.
I heard that the Cypriots showed some extremely unsportsmanlike conduct, something about them barging into the ref, wasting the time or something like that? They played FCK some years back, and I recall them being assholes.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Yes. You're the PSG of Norwegian Football. No wonder you struggle in European competitions when you got no competitors at home and get complacent.

It's a pity though, because Rosenborg doing well would benefit all the teams raising Norway's UEFA coefficients....

Morten

Yes. You're the PSG of Norwegian Football. No wonder you struggle in European competitions when you got no competitors at home and get complacent.

It's a pity though, because Rosenborg doing well would benefit all the teams raising Norway's UEFA coefficients....

Molde would be more fitting to that description, all though not really all that much. RBK is not a club sponsored by rich uncles. If you tried, the Bayern of Norwegian football you would be more correct, though they havent been bad in Europe, they did become complacent too.

Home of Barca Fans