2017 Africa Cup of Nations

Total-Football

Morocco lost to congo 0-1 .. dreadful 90 minutes of foot-ball, until caf decide to acually make it a 4 years span competition i'm never watching this joke of a cup

khaled_a_d

Pretty Boring. couple of chances here and there but both teams were pretty defensive,Salah coming from injury didn't help. We aren't really aiming high in this tournament.
Highlight of the day was Hadary being subbed in becoming the competition oldest ever player at the age of 44.

Vilarrubi

Pretty Boring. couple of chances here and there but both teams were pretty defensive,Salah coming from injury didn't help. We aren't really aiming high in this tournament.
Highlight of the day was Hadary being subbed in becoming the competition oldest ever player at the age of 44.

Is Hadary not the first choice GK now then?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Have a friend who is Tunisian and we argued a lot about Abdennour. He used to say the guy was a good player, I said otherwise.

Today he admitted it. Abdennour is the dumbest defender I've ever seen. Yes, the dumbest.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I remember Weah in Milan and how everyone talked how the next "Pele" will emerge from Africa. Fast forward 20 years, football in Africa only got worse. On individual level no player became better than Weah an no national team is better than Nigeria in 90s.

Vilarrubi

We have 3 GKs competing for 1st choice,today Shenawi started and got injured. Ekramy is also injured so Hadary is the only one we have

Ah right, I thought he has always been first choice although I don't follow it that much. When did it start rotating?

khaled_a_d

I remember Weah in Milan and how everyone talked how the next "Pele" will emerge from Africa. Fast forward 20 years, football in Africa only got worse. On individual level no player became better than Weah an no national team is better than Nigeria in 90s.

While I agree that this was stupid hype,I am not entirely sure about other parts,Eto got pretty close to Weah career wise IMHO. I think he was actually the most underrated player of his generation. Drogba,Essien & many others had gr8 careers too.

I think many NT was also gr8,Cameroon in early 2000's was probably even better but lacked the hunger to do something with the National team (same for Nigerians after early success),Ivory Coast and Ghana both probably even had better group of players but took lack of desire (and in some cases lack of tactical strength) to even new level.
Egypt had one of the greatest generation too but had its worst run in the 2010 WC qualifications so never showed it outside of ACN

Overall I think Africa had many even better team than Nigeria,or lacked that factor that separates makes them play to their full potential. Same old same old for Africa.

And let's remember,NT are no more that gr8 right now anyway. when you have a team like Portugal winning Euros it speaks volume about it. And it is even look more "money" oriented too,the richer "European" countries (may be more developed as countries is more accurate term) are the one dominating the World cup. only 3 teams reached Semi-Final outside of Europe since 2002,All South Americans and two of them during a tournament in SA,remember the days when European teams failed to win the tournaments outside Europe? Even Brazil & Argentina are way more developed as countries than Africans

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Ah right, I thought he has always been first choice although I don't follow it that much. When did it start rotating?

He lost his place in 2012 and retired Internationally in January 2013. He was called back in 2016 after both Ekramy and Shenawy lost form. Gained 1st place back in the WC qualifications too. Guy is a legend tbh. One of those fairy tales comebacks

Messi983

giphy.gif

:rofl1: :rofl1:

Ahmedd

Pele's idol was a Morrocan named Ben Barek. African football became shit, but Egypt from 2006 to 2013 was one of the best team i've ever watched

[youtube]vqzs4gpdZzU[/youtube]

Last edited:

Total-Football

There are two ways of Watching this shit, either Watch it with a serious tone and you will feel embarassed about how a once great continental cup became a laughing stock.Or you can Watch whithout taking it seriously and have a good laugh.

Home of Barca Fans