Renaming Camp Nou

Renameing camp nou?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

raskolnikov

I know its a populistic thing to say right now but I read fans wanted to change the camp nou to Estadi Johan Cruijff, I would like to see your thoughts on the subject. I know Ajax is thinking/planning on doing the same.
In recent times there was also talk of renaming it Qatar Camp nou or something for money purposes like Madrid does with Abu Dhabi, you could think it makes sense if we want do dominate in the future we need to keep up money wise.
Of course there is also the option to let things stay the way they are or if you have another idea how it should be handled, please let us know:)
I personally feel it would be very 'mes que un club' to rename it after Johan for example rather than chase the money like Madrid.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
It would be a great thing to do but I don't think it is practical as we rely on the naming rights to bring in revenues. Also, if I am not mistaken Ajax has already passed the notion of renaming their stadium to honor Johan?

I think we should erect a statue of him and name some other facilities after him.

khaled_a_d

I am not really attached to Camp Nou as a name and actually don't like it.
I actually think a change in Name on both ways .Make it Johan Cruijff stadium and then put a brans name on it .just like RM is gonna do with Santiago Bernabeu

JPM85

It would be a great thing to do but I don't think it is practical as we rely on the naming rights to bring in revenues. Also, if I am not mistaken Ajax has already passed the notion of renaming their stadium to honor Johan?

I think we should erect a statue of him and name some other facilities after him.

There are talks about renaming the Amsterdam Arena to JC stadium. Only Arena is not in posession of Ajax or city of Amsterdam. Ownership lays with investors, which need to decide what will happen with the name.

After all, I think the Arena will be renamed, just a mather of time.

Slevinn

I think they should make a tribute area or name a part of the stadium after him but i wouldn't want them to change the name of the stadium.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Camp Nou is 'Holy Grail' name of football stadiums like Bernabeu, San Siro, Anfield, Wembley, etc. If you had a new stadium then I think you could re-name it but not a current stadium. I believe a statue or say one of the gates of entry to the stadium to be named after him.

Anyway for me its more appropriate if Ajax do it as seemingly they will.

Cule Finn

I hope Barca doesn't give the stadium any commercial name. That's why I'm hoping they will name the stadium in honor of Cruijff. I think it would be more difficult for the board to justify adding a sponsor's name to the mix if such a legendary name as Cruijff was involved. Estadi Qatar Johan Cruijff just doesn't sound right.

And i Know, I'm too naive. They will choose money over legacy in a heart beat.

Interlop

"Camp Nou" is perfect. I am very thankful for Johan and his contributions to the club. I know he gave Barca an identity and was very successful as a player and couch. BUT (yeah there is a but) I don't think a player or a couch, president or any other individual is bigger than the club. So let's rename a part of stadium and build a statue outside or any other ideas the you guys might have. As renaming it for sponsoring purposes, like "Qatar Camp Nou" - I am strongly against it.

ManusXavi

If naming this stadium ~'sponsor' Camp Nou~ helps us build on the legacy of Johan Cruyff on the pitch then I have no problem with that.

khaled_a_d

"Camp Nou" is perfect. I am very thankful for Johan and his contributions to the club. I know he gave Barca an identity and was very successful as a player and couch. BUT (yeah there is a but) I don't think a player or a couch, president or any other individual is bigger than the club. So let's rename a part of stadium and build a statue outside or any other ideas the you guys might have. As renaming it for sponsoring purposes, like "Qatar Camp Nou" - I am strongly against it.

The thing is ,The Camp Nou as a name is a bit ,well not a really special name
It means the new field IIRC,right? It isn't new anymore and tbh I don't find that name being attractive or worth keeping at all

serghei

In the near future, all big clubs will have their stadium named after their main sponsor (several already have, check Bayern, Arsenal, City). It's the future and if you want to be the best you have to adapt, whether you like the change or not. Not a great time for the romantic views of football I might add.

In the end, it's about one thing. What's Barca about, first and foremost: "wanting to be the best, or wanting to be different?". Both at the same time might be possible in some aspects and we should aim for the complete package: fame, power, ethics and moral fiber, sporting success etc. But sometimes we have to prioritize, and I like to think Barca right now is looking to be the best. That's the main goal. If that means some compromise, we have to accept it.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans