Lliga | Round 30: Villarreal - FC Barcelona 2-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Caught the second half and went back and watched the first half, very disappointing result but I think the result is still acceptable, what really bothered me was our overall performance, at least what I saw.

I think this game highlights our problematic midfield and defense. Busquets must be so exhausted, he was nowhere to be seen when Bakambu took the ball and drove it forward several times in the first half. Arda, since he received the yellow early in the game he was way too conservative, didn't feel his existence that much. Roberto was OK, not great as I felt he didn't provide enough cover for the defense, especially the right side. Dani was awful today I thought, not to mention the disastrous performance by Mathieu.

It is clear that we need a good CB to replace Mathieu. Our wingbacks are just not defensively sound enough, Dani will only get worse and I am not sure if Vidal can fill his shoes. Moreover, I think our midfield is a big time bomb as too often it is easily penetrated and getting our defense directly exposed.

If we play like we did today and gave them so much space in the middle, teams like Bayern will slice us up like knife through butter. And I can't imagine how Dani and Alba will perform when facing Coman and Ribery/Douglas Costa.

But, one game at a time. Let's beat Atletico now.

Last edited:

Mido

Just looking at the positive aspects :

this game had to happen. Our players are not machines. And I would actually prefer realizing now that we are certainly not unbeatable to find out shocked against Atleti or RM that we can also play really bad. I hope this slap keeps the team alert.

Iniesta is soooo important in this midfield man it's incredible. Mascherano and Rakitic were bringing the heat to our defence at times. There are games where I get the impression that Rakitic doesn't play like Rakitic. I had the impression that he played at his 3rd gear.

Turan definitely has more potential , IMO, but he still didn't express it. My guess is that if he ever fully integrates to the system he could take Rakitic's spot. But I would definitely let Ivan start against RM at the moment.

We fully deserved the draw. Let's hope this will bring back to earth those that started flying high...

JamDav1982

Said it before. After Iniesta our midfield is quite mediocre.

Rakitic was possibly Barcas best player today and Iniesta has his fair number of stinking games as well. He just had one three days ago.

The players played like they knew league was won and struggled to match intensity of Villareal. Players like Busi who is the best midfielder in the world played it like a friendly at times.

Wasnt down to lack of quality to me.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Can't really complain about the result so far this season as we have had a gruesome schedule, and we are 9 points ahead.

However, not to mention the likes of drawing a pretty bad Valencia and Deportivo, the fashion in which we won some of the games was pretty bad too (Malaga, Levante, Las Palmas came to mind), not convincing at all. Our defense has deteriorated partly because our midfield has not provided enough cover. It is almost certain that we will concede, no matter how great Bravo and Ter Stegen might be.

I worry that when crunch time comes (the next several weeks) we won't be able to hold up against the good teams.

Altomonte

We should not be too disappointed - it has to be expected that our players have a down day, after having played so well for such a long time. It shows what Iniesta means to Barça, it shows what Piqué means and what hapoens when Messi is not at his best and Suarez is afraid of being aggressive. Now let's take a small break and come back strongly against RM and Atletico.

Topolino

Gemusesuppe
Real Sociedads form this season at home has been horrible... Infact they've been bad for the whole season, anywhere. This might be the year they lose at the Anoeta. They had a good spell of 4 consecutive wins against Betis, Espanol, Granada and Bilbao. After that they've drawn twice and lost three times.

Besides, why bother being so bloody negative?

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Well, we didn't play good today - obviously. Suarez had a stinker, Busi was bad (his second or third bad game in like 5 years or something), Alves was back to his worst sending crosses to the stands and giving the ball away, Marlboro man can't really be blamed for EVERYTHING but he did suck etc etc etc. Raki and Masch were the only ones worthy of praise. But credit to Villarreal, they didn't kick us around (not much anyway) and played smart - good defensive and took their chances. Let's be happy we got 1 point because they had more chances and that pk was way off.

Kikan

The team is simply tired and the results are fairly good if you ask me . What is it with Arda and Yellow card in every single games ?

SirXavi

The Engineer
We'll drop points at Anoeta. We drop points in the clasico as well and suddenly it's only 3-5 points.

The clasico is an absolute must win.

Man come on. What happened at Anoeta the last couple of years means jackshit right now. This is 2015-16, not previous seasons. Therefore history is still being written.

Barcadub

Man come on. What happened at Anoeta the last couple of years means jackshit right now. This is 2015-16, not previous seasons. Therefore history is still being written.

If/when we beat Real Madrid, players will definitely be rested for this game due to the Atletico 2nd leg.

It will probably be the game to equal the 42 game record, of course it would be Sociedad away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans