11 - Ousmane Dembélé - V1

Degane

Dembele has amazing potential, but needs time to adapt. He also needs to mature as a professional footballer a bit more. Take care of prehab and recovery after games. He also needs time to adapt culturally. He seems like a shy guy, who doesn't speak spanish. I hope he can see the importance of adapting culturally to Barca. I don't think he had to do that at his earlier clubs. We are lucky to see a young player like this and see where he will take us. I wish him the best and hope he can succeed at here.

henias

Dembele lacks big team experience, comes to me as an ambitious guy who wants to achieve more than what he could when he comes to his dream club. I suggest he take things slowly, learn the fundamentals (passing, effectiveness, teamplay) of Barcelona system and slowly integrate his own skills and ability and everything will come naturally. Definitely will surpass Neymar if he learns from Messi and Iniesta.

Windhook

Still early days for Ousmane. It took 3-4 years for Iniesta to become regular after 2002 debut, same period of time for Sergi Roberto. It's normal process, Valverde knows that. The big problem is the public, hungry for instant replacement of Neymar. Hopefully Coutinho's introduction will ease off the pressure from Dembele.

Raketa10

Nothing
He is physically stronger player, tall and fast, which I like.

I have only said about a summer of 22, that out of Gomes, Denis, Umtiti, Paco, Digne, probably only 0-1 or max 2 guys will be of Barca's level, while others will fail.

I knew that Denis will suck.
I thought that one out of Gomes, Umtiti or Paco will turn good, but it was hard to tell which one, since it is a hit and miss with young players (unless if a player is so flawed like Halil and Denis that you can see it right away).

Well to be fair if you are constantly negative, in some cases you will be right for sure. :D

Dembele is a huge potential and just 20 years old. He will learn for sure to play “our” way. And the fact that he is so fast and great for couter-attack will only help him in that manner. We needed this type of attacker otherwise we would be tottaly predictable. On the other hand, what is “our” way? We are playing tottaly different now than we were playing under Pep or even Lucho. So “our” way is tottaly different now. Like Pep way was different from Rijkaard way.

Last edited:

saviola7

I just registered after reading the forum for a bit while now.

I agree with some of BBZ's thoughts, but you are very wrong about Dembele. You made big slip up in your argumentation that ultimately showed you really didn't watch Dembele as much where you said "he never played in a possession team". I firmly disagree with this, as I did watch a lot of Dortmund games last season, and they played pure JDP and relied heavily on Dembele to get trough the first line of defense. Yes, Dembele did make a bad decision here and there, but ultimately, he was best Dortmund player by far, in charge of creation and starting attacks.

MagIX

I have the same doubts as BBZ8800.

But obviously I hope that Demblele shows me that I am completely wrong.

M

MessiCam

I just registered after reading the forum for a bit while now.

I agree with some of BBZ's thoughts, but you are very wrong about Dembele. You made big slip up in your argumentation that ultimately showed you really didn't watch Dembele as much where you said "he never played in a possession team". I firmly disagree with this, as I did watch a lot of Dortmund games last season, and they played pure JDP and relied heavily on Dembele to get trough the first line of defense. Yes, Dembele did make a bad decision here and there, but ultimately, he was best Dortmund player by far, in charge of creation and starting attacks.
I don’t agree with [MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION] but JDP is intended to create tons of space for the free man to run into, in this case Dembélé. He’s not going to get that amount of space at Barça.

This is one of reasons I’d like Messi to return to False 9. To create space/indecision in the centre backs thereby dragging the full backs centrally for the wide men but many don’t agree with me.

JamDav1982

I don’t agree with [MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION] but JDP is intended to create tons of space for the free man to run into, in this case Dembélé. He’s not going to get that amount of space at Barça.

This is one of reasons I’d like Messi to return to False 9. To create space/indecision in the centre backs thereby dragging the full backs centrally for the wide men but many don’t agree with me.

Messi at false nine stopped working as much and CBs stayed where they were and pushed him on to midfielders.

Far better now with Messi popping up all over the pitch and a CF occupying the CBs.

No chance he should return to false nine.

saviola7

Yes it is, but you have to remember, most teams played very, very deep against Dortmund and Dembele was the main ball handler (he had the ball more than any other Dortmund player). While I agree he occupies same spaces as Messi, you have to take into account that defenses now need to focus on more players which provides us with luxury option no one else in the Europe has. My point is, I firmly believe Dembele can be dangerous in tight spaces as much as in open space which he has already proved in Dortmund.

Home of Barca Fans