11 - Ousmane Dembélé - V1

FCB1987

Banned
When you start the season getting a few goals and starting to build convince, even if the overall performance wasn’t the best and you are then Benched by our manager it’s hard not to feel hard done by.

But In valverdes mind it’s between coutinho, Suarez and Dembele and he choose his 2.

Unless we are going to Drop coutinho to midfield and bench rakitic

He played 3 really bad games in a row (Girona, Leganes, Bilbao) before Valverde dropped him.

Joan

Think entire team did bad. Pique first and was never dropped.

What's the problem with Valverde dropping Dembele? Since we're clearly playing better without him in the first 11. Which doesn't mean he should be ignored. But I don't see where he fits in the starting lineup.

xXKonan

What's the problem with Valverde dropping Dembele? Since we're clearly playing better without him in the first 11. Which doesn't mean he should be ignored. But I don't see where he fits in the starting lineup.
We look more balanced but Coutinho though hasn't been all that great as a LW since he was shoved forward. He would have a okay/good first half but completely vanish in the second half.

I honestly think Arthur was probably the biggest reason why the team looked generally better than Just Coutinho being moved forward/Dembele being benched.

Joan

I might agree with that. But moving Coutinho forward/benching Dembele was the way to make room for Arthur. Otherwise, we couldn't do it. Pointless to mention that Coutinho brings more to the table than Dembele. Even if he's not performing up to his standards.

xXKonan

I might agree with that. But moving Coutinho forward/benching Dembele was the way to make room for Arthur. Otherwise, we couldn't do it. Pointless to mention that Coutinho brings more to the table than Dembele. Even if he's not performing up to his standards.
As I said a number of times, Valverde lacks vision and guts to actually build a proper team.

He basically took what Lucho used and decided he was okay with it even if the likes of Pique, Suarez, Rakitic, Busi, Roberto etc were underperforming. Pique this season cost us big time on a number of occasions yet he still played and even praised him.

Rakitic is not in good form right now and likely due to fatigue, yet Valverde persists in playing him despite that. Dembele isn't perfect obviously, but if he's not doing well why not give Malcom a shot? Nah he would rather punish the poor dude who hasn't really done anything wrong since he got here to try and send a message to the board because he's acting like a spoiled child because he didn't get Willian.

Valverde has left us a lot ot desired at this point and I can't really see him changing either. Just too conservative with no imagination with vindictive side to him.

Maxim4

Yeah because Messi (or Ronaldo) should be benchmark for every player?!?! :facepalm: :facepalm: Where were Salah or De Bruyne at 21? Where was Kante? Where was Lewandowski? Where was Coutinho? Modric was playing for Dinamo FFS! We are talking about world class players here! The main problem is his price tag and that's consequence of Neymar's transfer to PSG. It's not his fault market was inflated.

Dembele at age 21 was a starter for FC Barca and a member of France NT who are WORLD CHAMPIONS! Comments like yours and those of BBZ are BEYOND ABSURD! People like you would never develop young players. Let's remember that half of forum members wanted Bravo to remain No.1 and were disrespecting Mats every time he made a mistake after Bravo left. Two years later Mats is probably the best GK in the world.

Some of you should realize that most players peak between 25 and 27 but if you don't know that already it's questionable do you watch football at all.

they have nothing to do in life.
let them chat, they waste time.

henias

As I said a number of times, Valverde lacks vision and guts to actually build a proper team.

He basically took what Lucho used and decided he was okay with it even if the likes of Pique, Suarez, Rakitic, Busi, Roberto etc were underperforming. Pique this season cost us big time on a number of occasions yet he still played and even praised him.

Rakitic is not in good form right now and likely due to fatigue, yet Valverde persists in playing him despite that. Dembele isn't perfect obviously, but if he's not doing well why not give Malcom a shot? Nah he would rather punish the poor dude who hasn't really done anything wrong since he got here to try and send a message to the board because he's acting like a spoiled child because he didn't get Willian.

Valverde has left us a lot ot desired at this point and I can't really see him changing either. Just too conservative with no imagination with vindictive side to him.

No point telling him this shit, oblivious that such man management will probably cause the team to crash out in late season once again. He and his fans probably cares more about who performs, and who doesnt. If he doesnt= should be ditched completely and not find ways to get the best out of their strengths. That includes Semedo who has been benched for long periods of time, or the compulsive need to include Roberto just to sacrifice for any player on the field. The squad has always been fine and is much stronger this year, but has been so underutilised till now. Back then, even Lucho knew how to use Xavi sparringly and effectively, compared to EV just burning Iniesta to the ground, despite having a huge point lead in the league. Sad to see the latter cried during the Roma match. And I still cant imagine EV building a future here.

FCB1987

Banned
No point telling him this shit, oblivious that such man management will probably cause the team to crash out in late season once again. He and his fans probably cares more about who performs, and who doesnt. If he doesnt= should be ditched completely and not find ways to get the best out of their strengths. That includes Semedo who has been benched for long periods of time, or the compulsive need to include Roberto just to sacrifice for any player on the field. The squad has always been fine and is much stronger this year, but has been so underutilised till now. Back then, even Lucho knew how to use Xavi sparringly and effectively, compared to EV just burning Iniesta to the ground, despite having a huge point lead in the league. Sad to see the latter cried during the Roma match. And I still cant imagine EV building a future here.

Iniesta was better last season for Valverde than he was in Lucho's last season. The reason Lucho could rotate Xavi was that Rakitic was his alternative as opposed to last season where Gomes/Denis were Iniesta's backup

henias

Iniesta was better last season for Valverde than he was in Lucho's last season. The reason Lucho could rotate Xavi was that Rakitic was his alternative as opposed to last season where Gomes/Denis were Iniesta's backup

I knew u would say that, but there was Coutinho and no point burning him out when u have a huge lead/advantage in the league. We didnt had a tough opposition during that period as well, and Copa and CL were also another priority. So, 3 competitions are still unrealistic for someone like Iniesta whether or not there's a greater alternative. More so a temporary backup and it all boils down to smarter planning, which is the coach's responsibility. Even Suarez and Rakitic could have had some rest.

FCB1987

Banned
I knew u would say that, but there was Coutinho and no point burning him out when u have a huge lead/advantage in the league. We didnt had a tough opposition during that period as well, and Copa and CL were also another priority. So, 3 competitions are still unrealistic for someone like Iniesta whether or not there's a greater alternative. More so a temporary backup and it all boils down to smarter planning, which is the coach's responsibility. Even Suarez and Rakitic could have had some rest.

I'm not sure that Iniesta was even burnt out when his best run of form by far was in the final 5-6 matches of the season when he should have been most fatigued.

henias

I'm not sure that Iniesta was even burnt out when his best run of form by far was in the final 5-6 matches of the season when he should have been most fatigued.

He played good but generally tend to tire out near the end. He was notably overused during the hectic February schedule, barely never had any full rests and played more in away matches than home games.

90 mins Away against Espanyol 04/02
65 mins Away against Valencia 08/02
28 mins Home against Getafe 11/02
63 mins Away against Eibar 17/02
90 mins Away against Chelsea 20/02
75 mins Away against Las Palmas 01/03 ( Very wierd decision to bench Coutinho and Dembele)
And finally got injured against Atletico 04/03

The only full rest he had was against Girona, which was a home game as well. It was really wierd for EV to keep playing Iniesta in poor pitch conditions, and usually for full matches and you could see these games are so packed together.

When he was back from injury, he played against Chelsea, and then immediately started with no rest against Bilbao. Got called up for international duty, and then played 85 mins for both Sevilla Away and Roma (Home). Still played a little against Leganes and then the Roma away match he was quite gassed and didnt perform as well.

In fact, the whole team looks fatigued as hell, and then a really wierd decision to bring on Gomes during a crucial match like this. Then again if one can trust Gomes in a big match, then theres really no excuse like there is no "alternative". This doesnt just apply to Iniesta, even for Pique, Suarez and Rakitic, Roberto are overplayed, and u have players just sitting on the bench.

LMTR14

you guys have some low standards, he's a complete joke for a 100m signing.

hey I said that last year already, but nobody would believe me. taking him for that insane amount of money was FUCKING INSANE. I didn't like him from the moment he went on strike in dortmund. that is total asshole behaviour. but it's also clear as day he can't show his potential under valverde and he is still very young. he should've been loaned out til valverde has been fired (at the latest at the end of the season). and if the chance somehow arises he can be sold for let's say 80+, SELL SELL SELL

and yeah it doesn't look like he's getting along well with the team in general

Last edited:

FCBfan22

With Leo's injury, it's his chance to step up now. We will probably be playing a more traditional 4-3-3 with Cou-Suarez-Dembele up front. He will have a string of playing time and we will see if he's got what it takes. I a string of games starting at RW, should give us a better picture. It's hard to judge vs Sevilla, since he hasn't been playing RW for 5 months and was suddenly thrown there.

Home of Barca Fans