11 - Ousmane Dembélé - V1

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
His ball control is getting much better with every game. His dribbling too, keeping the ball closer to his feet. Still only turns 22 in a few months.

YodaMaster

Never thought he would reach this kind of level. Playing like this, I feel like he is a better talent than Mbappe.

Ok guys, I know here we're at a Barça forum. I don't want to look disrespectful or delusional. Don't get it wrong, Mbappé is a very special talent. But I think he's a bit overrated, especially in France. Dude is constantly being compared to Messi and Pelé.
One important thing: Dembélé was considered the more promising prospect between the two by a considerable number of french people. But it all changed since the World Cup.

To me, it's clear that Mbappé has always been a more disciplined and more mature kid than Dembélé. But I also think that Mbappé is more precocious. By that I mean he reaches new levels faster and at a younger age than everybody, but eventually he'll get to his peak. And Mbappé will probably exploit all his potential because of how disciplined, serious and professional he is for a kid.

Regarding Dembélé, well he's crazy in his head. You never know what could happen with such guys. Main concern with Dembouz is and always was: will he ever get to his full potential ? I believe that if he gets to his full potential, he might end up being a better player than Mbappé.

But right now, if you say such stuff, average Joe will respond "well Mbappé won his country a World Cup while Dembouz sat on the bench so Mbappé > Dembélé".

If some of you watch PSG sometimes, you'll know that Mbappé struggles a lot as soon as his crazy pace is neutralized. Happened against Liverpool, against Napoli, against Real Madrid. Mbappé isn't as versatile as Dembouz. He's also less creative. I always thought that Dembélé is the more creative one while Mbappé is the better finisher. But this season shows that Dembélé can become a great goalscorer too.

Last thing: Mbappé implied more than once that Dembélé is better than him. These guys spent a lot of time together on the training grounds, so Mbappé saying that might be very telling.

Last edited:

soul24rage

Ok guys, I know here we're at a Barça forum. I don't want to look disrespectful or delusional. Don't get it wrong, Mbappé is a very special talent. But I think he's a bit overrated, especially in France. Dude is constantly being compared to Messi and Pelé.
One important thing: Dembélé was considered the more promising prospect between the two by a considerable number of french people. But it all changed since the World Cup.

To me, it's clear that Mbappé has always been a more disciplined and more mature kid than Dembélé. But I also think that Mbappé is more precocious. By that I mean he reaches new levels faster and at a younger age than everybody, but eventually he'll get to his peak. And Mbappé will probably exploit all his potential because of how disciplined, serious and professional he is for a kid.

Regarding Dembélé, well he's crazy in his head. You never know what could happen with such guys. I believe that if he gets to his full potential, he might end up being a better player than Mbappé. But main concern with Dembouz is and always was: will he ever get to his full potential ?

But right now, if you say such stuff, average Joe will respond "well Mbappé won his country a World Cup while Dembouz sat on the bench so Mbappé > Dembélé".

If some of you watch PSG sometimes, you'll know that Mbappé struggles a lot as soon as his crazy pace is neutralized. Happened against Liverpool, against Napoli, against Real Madrid. Mbappé isn't as versatile as Dembouz. He's also less creative. I always thought that Dembélé is the more creative one while Mbappé is the better finisher. But this season shows that Dembélé can become a great goalscorer too.

Last thing: Mbappé implied more than once that Dembélé is better than him. These guys spent a lot of time together on the training grounds, so Mbappé saying that might be very telling.

You really deserve the name of YodaMaster. Very wise words.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Great post Yoda. Imo it always clear that Dembele had lot more facets to his game than Mbappe and this season it clearly showed. Combine that with his sheer unpredictability and how strong mentallly he is (see the Atletico goal). And you have a player who easily can become the best player post-Messi.

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

Regarding Dembélé, well he's crazy in his head. You never know what could happen with such guys. Main concern with Dembouz is and always was: will he ever get to his full potential ? I believe that if he gets to his full potential, he might end up being a better player than Mbappé.

I have been saying that for a long time now. Dembélé reminds me of a young Messi when he first arrived at the scene without comparing those two's talents obviously. You could see the raw talent and genius of Dembélé from miles away at Rennes but much like Messi initially it took him a while to reach consistency notwithstanding the injury problems that both of them suffered from and which slowed them down a bit initially. Mbappé to me is much more similar to C. Ronaldo. A brutal physique for his age, intelligent runs behind the defense and extreme pace (quicker than C. Ronaldo ever was) and obviously he picked up his goalscoring much sooner than C. Ronaldo did. Both of them seem to be very professional footballers and workaholics. However as good as Mbappé is I believe that Dembélé's talent is greater and that his ceiling is higher. Dembélé is more prone to exhibiting the extraordinary on the pitch. Not to mention his unique ability of being ambidextrous and his technical ability, in particular dribbling, being vastly superior. He also has a better eye for his teammates.

If he undergoes the same development that Messi did in terms of goalscoring, which cannot be totally ruled out, he will become the superior player. Without a doubt.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans