11 - Ousmane Dembélé - V1

Jombi

Not a single word about his IQ, a spark in his eyes, leadership personality, bravery in general, mental strength, being ready for what is Barca expecting from him.

Quote my post, we will talk about this a lot during the next season.

You will understand why, over time.

We bought him way too soon for his mental development.
Mbappe is way more developed and ready in that area.

I am sure you would have dismissed Mbappe if we had signed him last summer, focusing on him only being 18 years old and having played 20 senior games. Just like you do with other young players where you totally ignore their abilities and personalities and instead bring up unrelated Barca transfers from 20 years ago.

Last edited:

Jombi

I like Dembele and believe in his ability to become a great player but right now we have a roster problem. The only way Dembele starts anytime soon is if Coutinho moves to midfield and Dembele adjusts to LW, or if we keep playing 4-4-2. I doubt Cou plays as a midfielder, EV seems to be set on him in that wide role. 4-4-2 on the other hand is just a bad setup for us and limits a number of our players.

Bad planning, tough situation to be in.

I agree. Dembele just isnt what this team needs at the moment, sadly. I dont know how Valverde can make it work.

LordLichtenstein

I absolutely applaud Valverde for switching to 4-4-2 last season. In my opinion the change was much needed, as it made up for Messi's lack of defensive contribution, and over all it made our team more balanced. Even Messi came out and said our team was more balanced due to Neymar leaving and the tactical changes it caused.

When we bought Dembélé it was clearly with a 4-3-3 in mind, but our team has since changed for the better (in my opinion), and now I don't see how he fits in with us, unless he change his play and physique.

Last edited:

soul24rage

I absolutely applaud Valverde for switching to 4-4-2 last season. In my opinion the change was much needed, as it made up for Messi's lack of defensive contribution, and over all it made our team more balanced. Even Messi came out and said our team was more balanced due to Neymar leaving and the tactical changes it caused.

When we bought Dembélé it was clearly with a 4-3-3 in mind, but our team has since changed for the better (in my opinion), and now I don't see how he fits in with us, unless change his play and physique.

4-4-2 did made us more balanced, but Valverde failed in not having different formations/plans in mind. 4-3-3 would have dealt so much better vs Roma's 3-5-2 during the 3-0 defeat and Valverde didn't do anything to change our 4-4-2 even we can all see that it's clearly not working. I think we were lucky vs Chelsea as well when they played 3 or 5 at the back. Whether Valverde has learned from that, we'll just have to pray that he did because we really have to win the CL next season.

Dembele played well in the 4-4-2 on the right side in most La liga matches that i can remember so I would say that with a few tweaks he'll fit in ok. We might even play him in the big games in a 4-4-2 if someone like Kante joins us.

LordLichtenstein

4-4-2 did made us more balanced, but Valverde failed in not having different formations/plans in mind. 4-3-3 would have dealt so much better vs Roma's 3-5-2 during the 3-0 defeat and Valverde didn't do anything to change our 4-4-2 even we can all see that it's clearly not working. I think we were lucky vs Chelsea as well when they played 3 or 5 at the back. Whether Valverde has learned from that, we'll just have to pray that he did because we really have to win the CL next season.

Dembele played well in the 4-4-2 on the right side in most La liga matches that i can remember so I would say that with a few tweaks he'll fit in ok. We might even play him in the big games in a 4-4-2 if someone like Kante joins us.
Some things I agree with and some I don't. I whole wholeheartedly understand where Valverde is coming from not switching back to 4-3-3. And here is why. In order for our 4-3-3 to work properly our wingers need to be ferocious, run and press high, as it ultimately helps our team win the ball back. But with Messi not running and contributing backwards, any manager, not just Valverde, would have an extremely hard time making 4-3-3 work properly, unless Messi is played as CF of course. But with our current squad it would cause a domino effect.

1) Suárez would be forced out wide - far away from goal, ultimately making him harmless.
2) Dembélé would on the other hand flourish in a 4-3-3, especially if played as RW, which he would. But he would be a defensive liability as he has yet to learn how to press, track backwards and position himself. But regardless of formation, Dembélé needs to improve his physique in order for him to be able to help defensively. He is currently weighing 73 kg, which in my opinion, is 5 kg short of what I would like him to weigh.

So with that said, I understand why Valverde decided to stick with 4-4-2.

Last edited:

henias

Some things I agree with and some I don't. I whole wholeheartedly understand where Valverde is coming from not switching back to 4-3-3. And here is why. In order for our 4-3-3 to work properly our wingers need to be ferocious, run and press high, as it ultimately helps our team win the ball back. But with Messi not running and contributing backwards, any manager, not just Valverde, would have an extremely hard time making 4-3-3 work properly, unless Messi is played as CF of course. But with our current squad it would cause a domino effect.

1) Suárez would be forced out wide - far away from goal, ultimately making him harmless.
2) Dembélé would on the other hand flourish in a 4-3-3, especially if played as RW, which he would. But he would be a defensive liability as he has yet to learn how to press, track backwards and position himself. But regardless of formation, Dembélé needs to improve his physique in order for him to be able to help defensively. He is currently weighing 73 kg, which in my opinion, is 5 kg short of what I would like him to weigh.

So with that said, I understand why Valverde decided to stick with 4-4-2.

He stuck with 442 because it brought temporary success and he was blinded by it. Just like how he stuck with 442 and the same lineup against Roma, when asked why, he himself said because they scored won 4-1 in the first leg with it. He refused to change even when he knew it starts crumbling. That's how "safe" a manager he is.

And is it really a coincidence that he is a defensive coach and uses 442? And why has it always to be Dembele is the problem? If he really had some tactical sense, Iniesta would be forced out wide in a 442 and has to do more defensive work, and you think the frail old body of Iniesta could keep up with that? And 20 year old Dembele cannot learn to press or build up himself? Busquets also suffers in a 442, he doesnt work in a double pivot. Not to mention, playing Pique with a knee injury and somehow he can be expected to defend like a master.

Dembele is under the guidance of Valverde and it's up to the coach to train and nurture him. If Valverde really had the 433 in mind, then he wouldn't have benched him after he came back from injury, literally for 3 games against Getafe, Eibar and then Chelsea, after that decide to field him against Girona where he had a superb game. Then he somehow decide to revert back to 442 against mighty Las Palmas, and ended up with a 1-1 draw. And guess what? He only gave Dembele 15 mins of gameplay. After that, didnt field him against Atletico, and finally decide to let him play against Malaga.

So let that sink in, after he came back from injury, he benched him for 3 games straight, play him against Girona where they gave a 6-1 trashing, after that benched him for 2 games again. So in one match, he is supposed to somehow learn how to press, defend, attack after being back from injury?

Fcking ridiculous.

It's honestly not rocket science, he is a defensive and a very conservative manager, simple as that. He fears big changes and doesnt like the idea of 433, even against small teams where they should win comfortably, even with a 8- 10 points lead.

In any case, all the theories surrounding why he uses 442 is wack as fck. Next season, it is do or die for him. Whether he decides to develop and integrate Dembele is all down to him. And whether he uses Arthur is also a huge sign on whether he wants to use 433. If he uses 442 and fail again then no excuses for him.

Last edited:

Ursegor

World Champion
Fucking lol at "fans like you" part. You dont know jackshit about me. I've been against this transfer even before it happened. Paying 140m for someone who had one good season in a club like Dortmund was downright stupid. Dortmund just bled Barca dry because the board was desperate to fill the gap left by the Neymar sale.

Thank you for reminding me how long should I wait before judging a player. I've been a football fan for more than 30 years. Im not some FIFA player who gets turned on by some player's brilliance in a video game and think he's the next big thing. Dembele, no matter the injuries, havent shown anything to show he's worth the money. You dont pay 140m for a player and then wait for 2 seasons till you can criticize him! Unless you are gonna turn this into an Alexis Sanchez debate who his fans who thought he was sheer brilliance for Barca and anyone who criticized his performances was just a "hater".

Sanchez is actually a very apt example, I called him that when he first joined. His ceiling is just about that (which isn't too bad but not € 150M worth obviously) and his Barca story will most likely end just like his, too. At some point he'll figure it out and have a somewhat good season but ultimately he'll leave a lot to be desired and be replaced come 2 - 3 seasons by someone else.

henias

Fucking lol at "fans like you" part. You dont know jackshit about me. I've been against this transfer even before it happened. Paying 140m for someone who had one good season in a club like Dortmund was downright stupid. Dortmund just bled Barca dry because the board was desperate to fill the gap left by the Neymar sale.

Thank you for reminding me how long should I wait before judging a player. I've been a football fan for more than 30 years. Im not some FIFA player who gets turned on by some player's brilliance in a video game and think he's the next big thing. Dembele, no matter the injuries, havent shown anything to show he's worth the money. You dont pay 140m for a player and then wait for 2 seasons till you can criticize him! Unless you are gonna turn this into an Alexis Sanchez debate who his fans who thought he was sheer brilliance for Barca and anyone who criticized his performances was just a "hater".

No doubt he's overpriced but everyone was extorting Barcelona for money after the Neymar saga so it's pointless to keep bringing that up. Even if Barcelona decides to buy Hazard, he would be worth at least 180-200 mil. So what's the point on harping on the price tag?

Yeah you are against this transfer so what? Big deal? "I was right all along" is what you're trying to say? Barcelona lost out to Roma without Dembele playing so what's your point? He wasn't even a huge role in the CL or at the start of the season last year due to injuries.

So yeah continue your whining and keep finding your next Neymar.

booge

i did like when he got that chance against Juventus how he berried it. Seemed like a clutch moment and came up with the goods against a top keeper

Laplacian

The fact that some of you masturbate to the thought of young players failing is amazing.

Not a single word about his IQ, a spark in his eyes, leadership personality, bravery in general, mental strength, being ready for what is Barca expecting from him.

Quote my post, we will talk about this a lot during the next season.

You will understand why, over time.

We bought him way too soon for his mental development.
Mbappe is way more developed and ready in that area.

I've seen your posts. In 2014 you did nothing but shit on Neymar and even after he was crucial in our treble win, and our la liga win 2015/2016 you still treated him like he was Denilson and Robinho. You don't care about objectivity, facts, or whatever it is you pretend to care about - you care about masturbating to the failures of players you have a strong bias against. It doesn't matter if your criticisms don't fit reality, because you'll just make up some bullshit to make it true in your eyes anyways.

"spark in his eyes"

lol the fuck? Yeah, no thanks. Go "debate" someone else.

Home of Barca Fans