11 - Ousmane Dembélé - V1

xXKonan

I'm probably not alone in but I don't think Forwards and even Wingers to an extent should be judged as harshly if they don't really fit the Barca mold completely. It's a bit different with the position such as the Fullbacks, GK, CBs and Midfielders but with Forwards and Wingers I find it a bit different honestly.

Of course, you want your Forwards to be mobile enough and being able to link up but I don't think it's a really bad thing if they don't fit the suppose Barca mold to an extent. The likes of Neymar, Sanchez, Dembele etc weren't your typical Barca like Winger/Forward like lets say Pedro but they were still very effective and Suarez had a number of flaws but still got the job done the best way possible during his peak.

When it comes to Dembele, he's young enough we can definitely mold him into further greatness and I argue even before he was a bit more coachable than someone like Neymar who always had his own style of stuff which was effective and frustrating at times.

Porque

I'm just happy he has been a consistent scorer so far this season. Great sign for the future given that Suarez and Messi are exiting their prime years.

Andresito

Staff member
Are you related to Total-Football?

He plays a below average game and scores a goal, all of a sudden he's MOTM. People are acting like typical Cristiano fanboys.

Of course football is about scoring goals, but if we analyze objectively beyond it, Dembélé didn't have a good game overall. He can do a lot better.

We should demand more than just a good result, right? :valverde2:

khaled_a_d

I'm probably not alone in but I don't think Forwards and even Wingers to an extent should be judged as harshly if they don't really fit the Barca mold completely. It's a bit different with the position such as the Fullbacks, GK, CBs and Midfielders but with Forwards and Wingers I find it a bit different honestly.

Of course, you want your Forwards to be mobile enough and being able to link up but I don't think it's a really bad thing if they don't fit the suppose Barca mold to an extent. The likes of Neymar, Sanchez, Dembele etc weren't your typical Barca like Winger/Forward like lets say Pedro but they were still very effective and Suarez had a number of flaws but still got the job done the best way possible during his peak.

When it comes to Dembele, he's young enough we can definitely mold him into further greatness and I argue even before he was a bit more coachable than someone like Neymar who always had his own style of stuff which was effective and frustrating at times.

Luis García,Ronaldinho,Giuly,Iniesta,Messi,Henry,Villa,Pedro,Alexis & Neymar. Those are the players that have successfuly played wingers for us in the past decade and half (since start of Laporta era)
I am really not sure we have our own style when it comes to wingers, every one of those had his own style and even if we tried to categorize them based on style it will be 4 or 5 types of wingers.

henias

He plays a below average game and scores a goal, all of a sudden he's MOTM. People are acting like typical Cristiano fanboys.

Of course football is about scoring goals, but if we analyze objectively beyond it, Dembélé didn't have a good game overall. He can do a lot better.

We should demand more than just a good result, right? :valverde2:

You were saying he would have been subbed off and EV would never sub until the late minutes. Yeah no doubt he could do a little better in this game, but he's been consistent 5 goals in 6 games, even in the UCL. No reason to bench him. Not to mention, he does provide a lot of unpredictability, pace and it's the spark Barca needs at the moment, where they're too static and predictable.

I still insist that the system could be better tailored to get the best out of Dembele and Coutinho, because the two of them were restrained on the left side.

You werent discussing solely about his overall game in the first place, which is why u were called out.

xXKonan

Luis García,Ronaldinho,Giuly,Iniesta,Messi,Henry,Villa,Pedro,Alexis & Neymar. Those are the players that have successfuly played wingers for us in the past decade and half (since start of Laporta era)
I am really not sure we have our own style when it comes to wingers, every one of those had his own style and even if we tried to categorize them based on style it will be 4 or 5 types of wingers.
I mean you see a lot of people talk about Dembele is not really a Barca style forward/winger as he suits a more direct and counter attacking team. Which while is true can be said for some of the really talented young wingers/forwards out there like Sane and Mbappe, Coman etc.

While I see Valverde pretty strict in what he wants out of players in certain positions, I do think he finds the unknown factor about Dembele to be to valuable at this stage even if he loses the ball a bit to much. Something that was missing since we lost Neymar.

Dembele is adjusting to a different role this season. He's on the left and being instructed to stay inward as Alba does the wing work.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
I mean you see a lot of people talk about Dembele is not really a Barca style forward/winger as he suits a more direct and counter attacking team. Which while is true can be said for some of the really talented young wingers/forwards out there like Sane and Mbappe, Coman etc.

While I see Valverde pretty strict in what he wants out of players in certain positions, I do think he finds the unknown factor about Dembele to be to valuable at this stage even if he loses the ball a bit to much. Something that was missing since we lost Neymar.

Dembele is adjusting to a different role this season. He's on the left and being instructed to stay inward as Alba does the wing work.

I hope it continues like that.

A wing forward staying inward and pulling the defense away from their positions has been sourly missed in our game play ever since Leo started playing more like a mid fielder!

Laplacian

8 out of the 10 outfield players are ball distributing sideways passing merchants, I think we need one or two players willing to break that mold of predictability. Overall his game wasn't good, you're not a genius for figuring that out - read the thread; we all noticed that. The reason why we're so happy is because the dude basically changed the course of the game TWICE through his individual talent. One by driving the ball from his own half and dribbling past two players to get a free kick, and another was a wonderful solo goal he got from dribbling tw layers and scoring outside the box.

Seriously, aren't you guys excited? We might have a possible craque in our team, a player that brings constant excitement in every other game! Why wouldn't we be excited when shit like that happens? To me football is about joy and entertainment, and despite how flawed they are I simply cannot stop myself from enjoying players like Sane and Dembele. Start panicking when he's 26 and still doing the same stupid crap, right now he's 21 so let's enjoy that mischievous raw talent of his. :wave:

serghei

I see a little problem with Dembele's current form in that it depends too much on difficult skills and very Neymar-esque actions. He may not be good enough to pull them off against elite competition, like Ronaldinho or even Neymar were. He should focus more on speed, passing, off the ball movement, having a great first touch and a good shot. Those are more likely to work the same under every kind of opposition than these fancy dribbles.

kattanib

I see a little problem with Dembele's current form in that it depends too much on difficult skills and very Neymar-esque actions. He may not be good enough to pull them off against elite competition, like Ronaldinho or even Neymar were. He should focus more on speed, passing, off the ball movement, having a great first touch and a good shot. Those are more likely to work the same under every kind of opposition than these fancy dribbles.
Simply said, he needs to be a better Pedro; a better Vazquez

Home of Barca Fans