11 - Ousmane Dembélé - V1

ATLBarcaFan

I am fan of this kid, but his performance this weekend was shocking. He seemed disinterested at times. It was a great opportunity for him to work hard and impress EV, but he was absolutely terrible.

Messigician

If we want defensive stability this is the formation we should play.

Suarez Messi
Coutinho Arthur Busquets Roberto
Alba Pique Umtiti Semedo
Ter Stegen

Messigician

Roma...

I doubt Arthur would change things so much.

You mean the formation we used to destroy them in the first leg?

The issue with the second leg wasnt a tactical one it was exhalation from a starting 11 that wasnt rested at all, Pique and Umtiti playing injured, and the whole squad came in to the game complacent thinking they were already through.

FCBfan22

You mean the formation we used to destroy them in the first leg?

The issue with the second leg wasnt a tactical one it was exhalation from a starting 11 that wasnt rested at all, Pique and Umtiti playing injured, and the whole squad came in to the game complacent thinking they were already through.

I still think that our best performances in tough matches came when we played the 4-4-2 diamond (Clasico @Madrid) with Paulinho at CAM. Then we went with 4-4-2 flat and our overall play went to shit.

I would try:

------------MATS-----------
Semedo-Pique-Umtiti-Alba
----------Busquets---------
Arthur---------------Rakitić
----------Coutinho----------
-----Messi--------Suarez---

With the front 3 constantly changing positions. Messi drifting to CAM a lot. Against Tottenham he played a lot of time at CAM and he was deadly from there. Also, if you rest Suarez against weaker teams, you can put Dembele in there and have completely fluid front line.

PhilS

Mentally, he was way off last game. I hope that was just a first-game back thing, being shocked at getting on the field so abruptly.

He should be mentally prepared for Wednesday's game. How well he plays until Messi comes back is pivotal for his future with this club. This club needs four forwards who can rotate in the three forward positions. No way Munir is good enough to play regularly, Malcolm is in purgatory, so Dembele has to be in the mix up front.

Garrus

Lots of beating around the bushes in this thread.

The major issue, Is that his attitude stinks, When your teams’s best player and captain gets injured and you come to replace him, There should be firecrackers in your *ss, Especially when you saw your team produced their best match in two years against tottenham and without you in the line-up, I can’t think of better reasons to fire and light up any player.

Yet most of we got, Is ball watching, Walking, And a shocking attitude, And there are no excuses for this for any player playing for FCB.

The camp nou booed him at one point, The same camp nou that ever since he came to barca, Has shown him nothing but ovations and support, That should tell us something.

Talented player, But that isn’t enough to play for FCB, He has a lot to work on himself.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Cannot blame Valverde for his lack of effort and his nonchalant nature.

Dembele is a few good performances from Malcom(if Valverde ever gives him a proper chance again) away from being out of the club next summer. They'll probably not be patient enough with him and try to sell him for the highest value while they can and fix other areas of the team.

FCB1987

Banned
I'm more concerned about his ability than attitude. Apart from 4-5 moments at most, he has been very average over the past 14 months.

slicknick

Sure as shit not happening, but just wanted to see people's reactions. Who would be up for shipping him to PSG (and pay an additional amount of money) to get Mbappé instead?

BBZ8800

People are blaming EV and the board for everything.
While a sporting director Robert was probably the worst director in a modern history with horibble bets and decisions.

His bets for Fc Barcelona were:
Denis 10+ millions
Gomes 40m
Paco 35m
Digne 20m
Semedo 45m
Dembele 145m
295m wasted. We will see whether one out of them will be here in 2 years.

His only good bet was Umtiti.

Regarding young players, there is always 5, 10 or 20 young players out there who are hyped to be the next big thing.
A sporting director has to play a betting game and choose 2-3 guys out of 20 in whom we should invest and who will be our future bets.

Well, this guy, it seems, played a wrong game/bet on almost every single transfer which he made.

khaled_a_d

People are blaming EV and the board for everything.
While a sporting director Robert was probably the worst director in a modern history with horibble bets and decisions.

His bets for Fc Barcelona were:
Denis 10+ millions
Gomes 40m
Paco 35m
Digne 20m
Semedo 45m
Dembele 145m
295m wasted. We will see whether one out of them will be here in 2 years.

His only good bet was Umtiti.

Regarding young players, there is always 5, 10 or 20 young players out there who are hyped to be the next big thing.
A sporting director has to play a betting game and choose 2-3 guys out of 20 in whom we should invest and who will be our future bets.

Well, this guy, it seems, played a wrong game/bet on almost every single transfer which he made.

Roberto was bad, that is for sure but you are making things up financially by picking up worst case scenario
1-Denis was bought for 3.25M, if he is sold in January -as he should- the add on will be either 0.8*4 or 0.8M*5 depending on whether he plays 6 games or less with us. so 3.2-4M add on in addition 3.25. The club should easily sell him for a profit, this is a Marlon type of selling with even more proved,more talented player with EU passport. financially that deal wasn't bad.
2-Gomes cost 35M + 1M for liga + 1M for 2 times reaching CL QF. that is 37, take 2M for loan and net loss is still 35M until he is sold.
3-Digne was sold for profit, was good back up LB, no complains here.
4-Semedo won't reach the whole add on unless he became a starter and in such case he would be worth the money. (though I am still not a fan)
5-Dembele costed 105M with add ons, again won't reach the whole thing if he doesn't continue to be starter (10M already earned if he played 50 games and another if we qualify to CL and we already did, other 20M considered to be harder and one of the clauses in about bd)
5-Paco will earn us back most of what we got

And Arthur,Umtiti,Coutinho,Lenglet were all good signings, Mina was a good signing that was sold for profit.

The issue isn't the money spent, it is more of the wasted year. We should have had a reliable midfielder to take over Iniesta earlier and we got Gomes!! we should have been able to get a striker to replace Suarez etc.we seem to be always one step behind in replacing our players up since Zubi took over, have been reactive rather than active.

BBZ8800

Roberto was bad, that is for sure but you are making things up financially by picking up worst case scenario
1-Denis was bought for 3.25M, if he is sold in January -as he should- the add on will be either 0.8*4 or 0.8M*5 depending on whether he plays 6 games or less with us. so 3.2-4M add on in addition 3.25. The club should easily sell him for a profit, this is a Marlon type of selling with even more proved,more talented player with EU passport. financially that deal wasn't bad.
2-Gomes cost 35M + 1M for liga + 1M for 2 times reaching CL QF. that is 37, take 2M for loan and net loss is still 35M until he is sold.
3-Digne was sold for profit, was good back up LB, no complains here.
4-Semedo won't reach the whole add on unless he became a starter and in such case he would be worth the money. (though I am still not a fan)
5-Dembele costed 105M with add ons, again won't reach the whole thing if he doesn't continue to be starter (10M already earned if he played 50 games and another if we qualify to CL and we already did, other 20M considered to be harder and one of the clauses in about bd)
5-Paco will earn us back most of what we got

And Arthur,Umtiti,Coutinho,Lenglet were all good signings, Mina was a good signing that was sold for profit.

The issue isn't the money spent, it is more of the wasted year. We should have had a reliable midfielder to take over Iniesta earlier and we got Gomes!! we should have been able to get a striker to replace Suarez etc.we seem to be always one step behind in replacing our players up since Zubi took over, have been reactive rather than active.

Hmm, I don't agree with your numbers.

For example, Denis: I don't remember the exact numbers, but we paid some money to City, and some money again when we brought him back from a loan.
Further, his addons were for each 10 or 20 matches (an additional Million paid to City).
So, I guess that we paid somewhere close to 10M fee for Denis in the end.
Further, his weekly wage is around 70k Euros.
So, his yearly wage is 3,560M Euros.
So, Barca needs to pay 3,5 Millions to Denis each season and additional 3,5 for taxes for his wage.
So, Denis is getting 3,5M yearly, but we (Barcelona) are spending 7,1M yearly on Denis and taxes for him.

Since he is here for 3 years already, "the adventure called Denis Suarez" in total costed:
1. around 10M fee and addons
2. 10,5M for his wages over 3 years and 10,5 for taxes for him
= so, Barca invested till now around 31M Euros in a project called "Denis Suarez"

So, when people say: we bought him for peanuts, people are looking only at his transfer fee.
They aren't looking at his addons, wages, taxes.
And who knows whether we paid some ilegal sign on fee to him, or some bonuses.
So, we paid 31M for Denis WITHOUT sing on fee and bonuses.
So, in reality, this investment is probably closer to 35M Euros.

Now, we got absolutely nothing in return from Denis in 3 years.
And we lost 35M Euros and 3 years in terms of time and space, where we could have given chances to develop someone else.

So, when a sporting director has 10 options on a table (10 kids whom we can sign), he needs to BET on 1 guy and then we will invest:
1. money
2. time
3. and some development into him
And if a player fails, like Denis, we didn't lose only money, but a lot of time which could have been invested in someone else.

So, for example Denis was a horrible bet by whoever wanted him.

Or, as I have wrote a few times in the past, look at the project named "Ousmane Dembele":
1. 145M for a transfer fee
2. we don't know about a sign on fee or bonuses (Neymar, his dad and their dog earned additional 50-100M on random shaddy sign on fees and bonuses)
3. Dembele weekly wages are 250k Euros.
That is 13m yearly, plus we have to pay 13m for taxes.

So, 2 years of Dembele at Barca haven't cost us "only" 145m, but 145m fee+unknown sign on fees and bonuses+26m+26m
= 197m confirmed+unknown sign on fees and bonuses

And for example, if we sell him for let's say 80-100m this summer, that will be a 100-120m loss in only 2 years.
I know, player's wages are neutralized by player's performances on a pitch.
But if a player hasn't played too much or hasn't performed too well, then you didn't get too much in return.

So, in the case of Denis, I don't believe that we will get more than 10m for him (imo, stories how Napoli wanted him are lies by Barca's newspapers to raise his price, the same as Rafinha to Inter for 35Millions).
So, we invested around 35M in Denis, and we will get 10M for his transfer fee.
So, a 25M loss over 3 years, and lots of time wasted.

In the case of Dembele, if we sell him for 80m, that will be a 120M loss in 2 years.
If we sell him for 100m, that will be a 100m loss.
And we still don't know sign on fees, bonuses and illegal payments.

My point: each signing is way more expensive than a simple: transfer fee (like 41m for Malcom).
A transfer fee, sign on fees, bonuses, illegal payments, wages, taxes.
Plus lots of time and chances for a player in our team.

So, I will point my finger to a sporting director, since HE is deciding: WE should buy or THIS or THAT kid, invest who knows how many millions and give him a lot of time (which could have been used for a development of someone else).

Last edited:

Bulgroz

Yeah, I mean, how is the Barca ever gonna survive if they can only afford to spend 42 millions on a player the coach doesn't want ?

Home of Barca Fans