11 - Ousmane Dembélé - V1

Horatio

You're welcome
With Dembele there is just a slight issue of timing and holding back a little too long. He keeps trying to feint the opponent by holding back and releasing at a delayed time which seems to fail. Think with training he will be able to improve this still needing to adjust to Spanish level.

Kuchi

Neymar was the kind of player you felt he was going to live up to that hype like mbappe also, dembele does not have that vibe, an above average player with good pace so far...who knows..he needs a new coach to unblock him thats for sure

gasgas

Let's not forget how much Neymar struggled in his first season with us.

He really didn't struggle as much as people make it out to be.

He had plenty of assists and scored a few vital goals vs Real Madrid, Atletico (supercup and UCL QF), villareal and in Messi's absence he forged a very good partnership with Sanchez who scored 20+ goals that season

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
As much as I want Dembele to succeed I think we'll have to evaluate what we have at the end of the season. Players like him need guidance and a manager that's good at it. Valverde is not and if he's our manager next season too it might be worth offering him + some for Hazard if he still want to play in Spain and is fine playing second fiddle(or A2) to Messi for a year or two.

henias

It's not rocket science really. You cant compare Neymar and Dembele because they have slightly different roles and have different strengths and weaknesses.

Take a look at any game of Dembele during his Dortmund stint, you will see he is get off better with the free flowing football they play. Once he gets the ball, everyone starts running, making themselves available. He was utilised for his pace alot, down the flanks and for his lethal crosses. He could also pop out of nowhere, beat the offside trap and score a tap in. The Villareal and Girona game last year does show what he is good at and must be built upon.

In Barca, what do I see? Absolutely just standing and watching. The only connection I see is Dembele and Semedo as they are both direct with it. Even with their pace it's useless; if they can create something down that flank but the others are always a step behind. He is not even utlised for his pace anymore, just too restrained in the passing back and forth motion. And judging by how Semedo is not even rated in his squad, who does he connect with?

Worst of all he is thrown as a LW this year and expect to connect with Coutinho and Alba in those tight spaces, and then act surprised when he loses the ball. He cant really take advantage of Rakitic and Messi's through balls, which is extremely lethal for his pace. He is more restricted to having bring down the ball in tight spaces and lay off to Suarez, who often fail to lead to anything dangerous at all. (Not sure why he keeps trying dummies as well)

All in all, I'm seeing a very weak role for hin and a lacklustre guidance to fully exploit his strengths.

Messigician

He really didn't struggle as much as people make it out to be.

He had plenty of assists and scored a few vital goals vs Real Madrid, Atletico (supercup and UCL QF), villareal and in Messi's absence he forged a very good partnership with Sanchez who scored 20+ goals that season

9 league goals, 8 assists and 6 yellow cards wasn't good considering the team we had and the hype of having the player every big club in the world wanted.

I agree he wasnt bad or anything but he did underperform in that first season.

khaled_a_d

There is a reason Klopp wants/wanted Dembele. Dembele is perfect for Kloppball.

That was probably a shitty rumor, Liverpool didn't make any approach for him and neither did Klopp and it is unlikely the journalists can read what is in Klopp head

khaled_a_d

As much as I want Dembele to succeed I think we'll have to evaluate what we have at the end of the season. Players like him need guidance and a manager that's good at it. Valverde is not and if he's our manager next season too it might be worth offering him + some for Hazard if he still want to play in Spain and is fine playing second fiddle(or A2) to Messi for a year or two.

This will need to be done whether EV is our coach or not, so far there is a lot of red flags on the kid and a lot of amazings things too,
Board and coachings tuff sees him every day so there is also details they know and we don't (hard worker or not, eating habbit and stuff like that) and they should make best assessment whether he is really a player we should bet highly on him or cut our loses and fool someone else with the hype.

Home of Barca Fans