Joshua Kimmich

BarçaBarça

We are linked to him by Sport, with City being interested as well. Bayerns sporting director says he wouldn't leave for less than 50M, and his contract is expiring in 2020, so there isn't a long time before his value will drop.

I can't help but think that he is the same profile as Roberto, because they play the same positions, but I don't know if Kimmich has the higher ceiling? He sure is interesting and by now a proven quality-player, the tricky thing is if he is worth a transfersum, compared to e.g. a Goretzka on a free next summer. Semedo looks like a quality signing as well, so maybe going all after Kimmich makes less sense now..

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Kimmich would come as a midfielder for sure and there he has a really high ceiling IMO.

Not happening though.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
To me he is a better RB than a midfidler. And I am not sure how his crosses at Bayern will adopt here. Top notch talent though.

Definitely not happening for 50m or any amount, he is not for sale and considered one of Bayern's future bedrocks.

khaled_a_d

I won't rule him getting out of Bayern, he wanted out for some time IIRC and they can't keep him forever. IIRC he wants to be midfielder rather than a RB btw.
In Barca will be in a situation very similar to Bayern IMHO, just with similar player in Roberto to make things worse. Great talent but not for us

Yannik

I think he's better as a RB than a mid actually, and I'm not really sure why people suggest that his "thoughts about leaving" had something to do with his position. He never suggested that he MUST play CM, or at least that he would make a move to another team dependent on where the let him play. I would actually suspect Ancelotti and the dressing room atmosphere at the end of last season as the reason why he thought of a move.

And I am not sure how his crosses at Bayern will adopt here.

I think he can convince at any team tbh. His "crosses" are not really like the name suggest. Someone like Douglas Costa would always bomb down the wing, then aimlessly whip in a ball into the box hoping that someone gets a foot/head to it. Kimmich's crosses usually feel more like lobbed passes and most of them don't lead to heading duels with tall defenders, but find a free man but that is of course dependent on wether a player has created space for himself.

Examples:

[gfy]PotableInfiniteBinturong[/gfy]

[gfy]DazzlingWanIchneumonfly[/gfy]

In crowded boxes Kimmich usually doesn't cross but opts for other variants.

Last edited:

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Bayern would be absolutely nuts to let him go for any price. And we should swoop in without a second thought if they do go that way.

Kimmich is class. He's already rivaling prime Lahm offensively, there's a solid case that he's at the point of surpassing him or will have done so very soon. Would kill for us to have a RB like that but he'd also be a better midfielder than Rakitic quite easily IMO.

MTL_Barca

Nah that's way too exaggerated, he is nowhere near Lahm as of now and i doubt he'll ever get there. What would be no shame because Lahm was an incredible player.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He's performing at a higher level than Lahm did at this age so it is not totally out of the picture that he could surpass him. Most Bayern fans at least feel that way from what I've seen.

He's an outstanding player full of grit. A future captain for Bayern. Kimmich is what people think Roberto is.

Had the pleasure of watching him play live, albeit against the mediocre NT of Norway, but still. You can see he's special.

MTL_Barca

That's like saying Mbappe is surpassing Cristiano just because he started playing on world class level a bit earlier. But it isn't always going upwards, just look on the other side to Alaba who isn't improving for quite some years after showing amazing play 2013.

And no bayern fan i ever talked to would say something like that, Lahm is a legend.

Kimmich is a great player and mentally very strong but i don't like comparisons like that. Lahm is imo on of the best, smartest and especially most consistent players of the last 20 years that's so huge and Kimmich will need to prove more than some good games to come anywhere near that.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Nah that's way too exaggerated, he is nowhere near Lahm as of now and i doubt he'll ever get there. What would be no shame because Lahm was an incredible player.

Kimmich's individual season so far isn't far off of what prime Lahm was producing offensively. Though it doesn't mean everything, he's statistically superior across the board to many of Lahm's best seasons. 13 assists in all comps, 4 goals in the CL and 2 against back to back Champions RM while also being one of the best players in that cup tie. He can dribble and playmake as well as any fullback in the world, and his decision making is impeccable.

Defensively, Lahm was still on another level in his prime, but that's a different discussion. Kimmich has the potential to be one of the best attacking fullbacks of his generation and might well be the best in the world at the position right now. Who else would you take there over him?

Morten

I know he is an attacking fb who loves to cross and get assists, but he was basically a forward at times in this game, one of the main reason why Mexico could run rampant through their team, it left the cbs with a very difficult job, constant 2v2 situations and so on.

Doesnt help having a midfield 2 with Khedira, who is shit, and Kroos who is simply not mobile enough to keep up(a weakness of his). Hummels and Boateng made mistakes too, but they were basically on their own alot of the time, since everybody else wanted to be strikers for some reason,their teammates let them down, i would be pissed if i were them.

Last edited:

Yannik

I know he is an attacking fb who loves to cross and get assists, but he was basically a forward at times in this game, one of the main reason why Mexico could run rampant through their team, it left the cbs with a very difficult job, constant 2v2 situations and so on.

Doesnt help having a midfield 2 with Khedira, who is shit, and Kroos who is simply not mobile enough to keep up(a weakness of his). Hummels and Boateng made mistakes too, but they were basically on their own alot of the time, since everybody else wanted to be strikers for some reason,their teammates let them down, i would be pissed if i were them.

Our fullbacks overlap. This is basically a German tradition and it makes especially sense with Kimmichs crossing ability. At the same time our wingers push into the center and our def midfielders & the opposing fullback are supposed to cover for the exposed space at the back. This way we have a 2-3-5 in the last third when in possession. In case we loose the ball and run into a counter we should ideally have at least 4 players between the ball and our goal. This is still not that much, but it's enough to win valuable time and reorganize the defense. This didn't work because our midfield left too much space and was too slow to make up for it.

We are an attacking side. Against teams that aren't Spain, France or Brazil we throw everyone forward and we completely want to dominate possession. And loosing it is not what we actually plan with, so there's always the slight danger that we run into counters and they have also been dangerous in the past. But until recently this hasn't been much of a problem and such teams were always beaten, sometimes comfortably, sometimes narrowly.

Last edited:

Judoman

I would pay 100 mil for this guy in todays market. He would fit in Barca like a glove. He is the WC midfielder we need, but i would play him at RB.

Imagine him & Messi/Dembele infront of him..

olivis

Everytime I see Kimmich play I just wish he could've been there in a midfield with Xavi and Iniesta.

Those three would complement each other so well, Kimmich being the DM sitting slightly deeper than Xavi and Iniesta. I think it would deliver some of the most awesome midfield plays of all time.

Home of Barca Fans