Joshua Kimmich

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I don't think that would be a stretch considering his performances so far.

He's very special. Could be a generational level player for Germany.

Yannik

Is is safe to say his potential is higher than that of Lahm already?

Offensively yes, probably even better than Lahm, but Lahm was the cleanest tackler since Maldini and Kimmich is unfortunately not a great defender, that's probably the only thing holding him back from being the best RB in the world at the moment.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
I really like Kimmich, he is one of my favorites players outside of Barca. But hold your horses. Imo Lahm is the best German player of this millennium and a top 3 German player of all time so Kimmich has a lot to prove to come close to Lahm.

Co0ter

Hey, at least he's not suggesting Messi to play at LCM/RCM lol

He used to say that Pogba was the next coming of Christ. Didn't turn out that way.

DonAK, you particularly are pretty quick to judge and pretentious most of the time. I remember when I had called for us to sign a CF and move Messi back to the wing from false 9....when it obviously hadn't been working despite his goal tally overall. It was met with a lot of reluctance and people acting, quite frankly, how you're acting now. We ended up buying Suarez out of nowhere, thankfully. Messi moved to the wing and we won another treble. Funny, indeed.

At least there was an explanation and logic behind my post. Most posts here now are all gut reactions and people jumping from one idea to the next. "oh this is awesome" to "oh, worst decision ever. it's so bad" over the course of a few days.

The truth is our team has been toothless from midfield for years. It hasn't been well rounded either. We've often bought players who don't even play the positions or roles we want to implement and play them there anyway. I offered a way to have hard working, pressing wingers who would help a lot with defense and have a creative, dangerous midfield while not being left vulnerable defensively. Some pace in midfield to better deal with counters, a more defensive oriented RB on the side where our less hardworking midfielder is. With more creativity in midfield, Busquets can play more conservatively and focus more on defense and closing lanes.

Right now we have Messi at RW, who constantly drops to midfield to create (and he would continue to do it whether we buy a creative midfielder and keep him at RW or not). When he drops to the middle to create, what happens? Suarez occupies limited space in the middle, is well covered, and we have fullbacks pushing up on both sides. Then we have midfielders who are far from natural finishers, none in which have an above average shot from outside the box. Messi has two full backs who can't finish, 2 midfielders who can't finish, and a CF who is well covered in the middle while the rest of toothless players go wide in an attempt to open up space (which doesn't work, because the defense isn't scared of them in the first place).

This is what's happening, and it's been happening for years. Every decent team knows it, and they all give us a hard time because of it. We've relied on three extra-ordinary players to carry us through a horrible system for years. Time for a solution.

Offensively yes, probably even better than Lahm, but Lahm was the cleanest tackler since Maldini and Kimmich is unfortunately not a great defender, that's probably the only thing holding him back from being the best RB in the world at the moment.

They are different in style. Lahm was a great support player for his wingers, too, with an outstanding play without the ball. Kimmich is much more ball active. The winger on his side was always the one shining. But - the future could be an asymetric match again. He might be the ideal partner to play a roaming Müller on the wing again like they do it in the national team.

M

MessiCam

He used to say that Pogba was the next coming of Christ. Didn't turn out that way.

DonAK, you particularly are pretty quick to judge and pretentious most of the time. I remember when I had called for us to sign a CF and move Messi back to the wing from false 9....when it obviously hadn't been working despite his goal tally overall. It was met with a lot of reluctance and people acting, quite frankly, how you're acting now. We ended up buying Suarez out of nowhere, thankfully. Messi moved to the wing and we won another treble. Funny, indeed.

At least there was an explanation and logic behind my post. Most posts here now are all gut reactions and people jumping from one idea to the next. "oh this is awesome" to "oh, worst decision ever. it's so bad" over the course of a few days.

The truth is our team has been toothless from midfield for years. It hasn't been well rounded either. We've often bought players who don't even play the positions or roles we want to implement and play them there anyway. I offered a way to have hard working, pressing wingers who would help a lot with defense and have a creative, dangerous midfield while not being left vulnerable defensively. Some pace in midfield to better deal with counters, a more defensive oriented RB on the side where our less hardworking midfielder is. With more creativity in midfield, Busquets can play more conservatively and focus more on defense and closing lanes.

Right now we have Messi at RW, who constantly drops to midfield to create (and he would continue to do it whether we buy a creative midfielder and keep him at RW or not). When he drops to the middle to create, what happens? Suarez occupies limited space in the middle, is well covered, and we have fullbacks pushing up on both sides. Then we have midfielders who are far from natural finishers, none in which have an above average shot from outside the box. Messi has two full backs who can't finish, 2 midfielders who can't finish, and a CF who is well covered in the middle while the rest of toothless players go wide in an attempt to open up space (which doesn't work, because the defense isn't scared of them in the first place).

This is what's happening, and it's been happening for years. Every decent team knows it, and they all give us a hard time because of it. We've relied on three extra-ordinary players to carry us through a horrible system for years. Time for a solution.

Firstly, under Valverde, Messi is not playing as a right wing but as a False 9. Secondly, there is no logic in playing Messi as central midfielder because he has zero ability defensively and you would be moving your biggest scoring threat to the middle of the pitch. The role of False 9 is to drop deep to create running space or to draw the central defenders out of position so the wings and midfielders can exploit that extra space. It also gives you an extra man in midfield at times in an advanced position.

The reason Messi has been moved from RW to CF as a False 9 is due to his natural tendency to drift centrally leaving the team exposed in defence. It was a big problem under Enrique and thank God Valverde moved him. Now only if he actually played an out and out left wing instead of Suarez.

I, for the life of me, don't understand why the two of them are played together in any 3 upfront formation. It's just not going to work because they both want the centre.

iPhone 1421.jpg

This was against Juventus last season... Look at Rakitic having to cover the RW position. You're now a CM short with the threat that the opposition left back can go all willy nilly.

iPhone 1422.jpg

And this was against Juventus this season... Take Suarez out and play a Countinho/Insigne/Denis type player on the LW and all of sudden you have your Best player playing where he wants to be and your flanks oozing with creativity and pace.

Sure, you can play Suarez as CF but then you'd have to tell Messi to hug the RW and shift Dembele/Deulofeu over to the left but you're going to expose yourself defensively again and remove Messi's scoring threat to a large extent.

As for the midfield, well yeah, other than an ageing Iniesta there's not much there in terms of creativity. But it still doesn't mean you play Messi there.

Last edited:

Yannik

Lahm was a fullback, not a centerback, so he wasn't engaging in heading challenges a great lot, his job was to prevent the cross in the first place. He was considered to be arguably the best and cleanest 1vs1 duellist of the last decade and here you are arguing the dude "wasn't great defensively".

Ask Rakitic about his defending

[gfy]CookedMealyArthropods[/gfy]

[gfy]HelpfulDimwittedHermitcrab[/gfy]

Imagine pulling off stuff like that on a regular base and ending your career never being sent off

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans