Jonathan Tah

Yannik

Jonathan Tah

jonathan_tah.png

jonathan-tah.jpg

Jonathan Tah has been a hot topic in the German press as of late, the Bayer Leverkusen defender having developed a reputation as one of the Bundesliga's hottest stars. The player's stock is rising. He's among the Bundesliga's best defenders and likened to the great Boateng—impressive for a lad who only turned 20.

tahwhoscored.jpg

tahwhoscored2.jpg

It's easy to see how Tah is comparable to Boateng. Both players spent their early years at Hamburg and have similar skill sets. Despite his youth, according to Transfermarkt, Tah, at 1.94 meters, is actually two centimeters taller than Boateng; he is built like a tank, and his physical strength and aerial prowess are obvious assets.

Yet like Boateng, Tah is more than just an athlete. He has a good touch, he is not shy to get involved in the passing game and is impressively two-footed. He is currently monitored by many big clubs such as Bayern, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, City and United.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
I think he is really talented and should have a future in the national team. Certainly better than overhyped Rüdiger.

About the Boateng comparison: Boa is way faster and the best passing CB in the game. As talented as Tah is, he can only lose those comparisons.

Yannik

I think he is really talented and should have a future in the national team. Certainly better than overhyped Rüdiger.

About the Boateng comparison: Boa is way faster and the best passing CB in the game. As talented as Tah is, he can only lose those comparisons.

haha of course he's no Boateng, the guy is 20, his distribution is pretty good at that age, have you seen that pass for Calhanoglu vs Sporting?, Boateng didn't hit those passes so early either.
Biggest issue would probably be his speed, Tah is a tank but also moves a bit like one. The Boateng comparisons come probably because Tah is idolizing Boateng and mentioning him in like every second interview.
Oh and of curse the obvious cliché reasons like "black, big, german, defender" etc

Last edited:

DrPepper

Passing-wise he doesn't seem to be that impressive. I'm fully aware of how Leverkusen's style of play doesn't really emphasise passing ability and he doesn't have to be Boateng, let alone Thiago Silva in that regard either. Yet Niklas Süle whose team plays an even more direct style, seems to be the better passer.

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...s_committed/interceptions/defensive_errors#90

Not sure how Süle, despite being taller than Tah, wins only half of his aerial duels though :lol:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I really liked Tah after our 2 matches against them but we never really did get to see him bringing the ball out from the back - defending against Barcelona makes you a good defender but not necessarily good for Barca

BarçaBarça

I think we should go for a profile like him this summer or the next, and see if we get lucky: a young/teen CB who would be relatively cheap who haven't made his big breakthrough yet. Young defenders transfer-prices are getting insanely high, that's why buying younger - and more risky - could be necessary.

If it should be exactly him, Süle or someone completely different I don't know and can't comment on - I wouldn't have seen them play enough to make a fair assessment :)

BarçaBarça

If we are looking at Leverkusen for defenders we should keep an eye on Wendell as well.

Do you watch him play? Is he maybe already too good to accept a role as Alba-backup, or is he still developing?
As I understand it, he is quite good and sought after already, so maybe the price would be a showstopper anyway.

Home of Barca Fans