Gianni Infantino

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently 2 favorites are another Swiss citizen (do these guys own FIFA and UEFA?) and some guy from the Gulf state (great footballing tradition and all round human rights haven).

Whata joke.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Apparently 2 favorites are another Swiss citizen (do these guys own FIFA and UEFA?) and some guy from the Gulf state (great footballing tradition and all round human rights haven).

Whata joke.

FIFA & UEFA are headquartered in Switzerland. Infantino has a legitimate track record to run for President despite coming from within the ranks of an already corrupt organization.

Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim al-Khalifa, Prince Ali bin al-Hussein, Tokyo Sexwale and Jerome Champagne are the other candidates

In the end, we're still talking about a multi billion dollar industry that is not going to get clean because of a certain candidate for President - they will have to show transparency & legitimate reforms of how the organization is run to be taken seriously, irrespective of who becomes President

El Flaco

Gianni Infantino's interview with AS

Do you think Platini’s ban is fair?

For obvious legal reasons I cannot get drawn into this question. Michel is pursuing an appeal and legal process and it is important that this is allowed to conclude.

And Blatter’s?

For the same reasons as above, I cannot discuss this.

You’ve worked for many years with Platini. Aren’t you worried you’ll be identified with him?

UEFA has made significant progress over recent years in terms of the profile and success of our flagships events, growing the amount of revenues that we distribute to Associations and Clubs and in making important changes and reforms in several key areas. I think all the associations in Europe are happy with what UEFA has done in recent years and I hope I can say the same thing in the future when I look back to my first years as President of FIFA.

I always had a very good relationship with Mr Platini and we have worked well together. I have said several times that I hope he has a fair and quick legal process in which he has a chance to clear his name. For me now, the focus is on my campaign to become the next FIFA President.

Was it Platini who asked you to stand?

Once it was clear that Mr Platini wouldn’t be in the race I made of course my own decision to run. And it was important for me to receive the unanimous support of the UEFA ExCo. We need to bring football back to FIFA and FIFA back to football. This is why I chose to stand – to make a difference.

As UEFA general secretary, are you still paying Mr Platini?

UEFA confirmed in January that Mr Platini is receiving a salary and will continue to do so until further notice.

If you become Fifa president will you lift the ban on Platini and let him be UEFA president?

As I said earlier for obvious legal reasons I cannot get drawn into this question. Michel is pursuing an appeal and legal process and it is important that this is allowed to conclude. In any case however and in accordance with the FIFA Statutes, the FIFA President, current or future, has no powers to lift bans on anyone.

If the Spanish state bans Villar, will you take action against him for government interference?

I wouldn’t like to comment on scenarios because for the moment I’m fully focused on the campaign and explaining my vision and project from FIFA and Football.

What do you remember about your time learning at the Spanish Liga?

I spent a wonderful time at La Liga. I remember these days with joy for the professional growth they gave me and for the personal experience of knowing your wonderful country and Spanish people and culture a little better. Plus I learned to speak Spanish (kind of)…

What kind of relationship do you have with Tebas?

We know each other for several years and I’ve never had issues with him.

When do you want to have 40 teams in the World Cup?

I believe the World Cup should have 40 teams from 2026. It is a unique event, which captivates the entire world for a month every four years and it’s also the single-most powerful tool for promoting football all over the world. By giving 8 additional countries the opportunity to participate, we would be giving 8 more countries the possibility to enjoy the World Cup fever in a more passionate way, also achieving greater worldwide representation in the process.

Naturally, this must be properly debated with all the stakeholders involved. But I am more than ready to have this discussion in a constructive way with everyone who cares about football. At UEFA, I have been intimately involved in the expansion of the EURO from 16 to 24 teams. This has already been a huge success, from a sporting, promotional and commercial point of view and I know we can do something similar for the FIFA World Cup.

What anti-corruption measures are you proposing for FIFA?

Serious good governance and compliance reforms are needed to address the problems of the past and to ensure that they cannot reoccur. These reforms have to be both STRUCTURAL and CULTURAL in nature. As a member of the 2016 FIFA Reform Committee, I have been closely involved with the team that has prepared the necessary statutory amendments to bring these changes into effect. And, as FIFA President, I shall focus all my energy and efforts on ensuring that these reforms are actually implemented and put into place as soon as possible.

I know what is at stake having the necessary experience from managing UEFA’s day-to-day activities in accordance with the highest standards of good governance and compliance over the years.

I have outlined a raft of reform measures including the creation of a new FIFA Council; term limits for FIFA serving officials, including the President; the appointment of independent voices to key FIFA Committees; remuneration transparency for senior FIFA members; the appointment of a Chief Compliance Officer; and a fully open tendering process for commercial and operational contracts.

Taken together, these changes will, I believe, put FIFA on the path towards restored credibility and integrity. I feel I am the right person to lead FIFA into a new era of credibility and development.

If you are elected president will you limit your mandate to 8 or 12 years?

As I set out in my Manifesto, I believe a term limit of a maximum of 12 years (3 x 4 years) should be introduced for the FIFA President and Council members. This will ensure a regular influx of new ideas into the institution, and also create more opportunities for Member Associations to be represented. It will also help to address some widely voiced public criticism of the organisation.

How do you propose FIFA be regenerated?

FIFA is going through a very difficult period, we have to openly admit this. Although the latest events harmed its reputation, I think that if we bring football to the centre stage, with the reforms already underway as well as those contained in my manifesto on governance, FIFA can rebuild its reputation and the trust of the football community, including the fans.

I also want FIFA and its Member Associations to look at significantly strengthening football development programmes, growing the FIFA World Cup, having a full debate on the use of technology in the game and creating a fair and transparent transfer system. I would also create new initiatives to utilise current and former players to promote football as a force for social good.Taken together, I really do believe these reforms and changes will make a huge difference to how FIFA operates and to its reputation.

Will you increase compensation to the clubs for players in international duty?

If I remember well, an agreement has just been concluded by FIFA with the clubs until 2022 to mutual satisfaction. So this matter will come back on the table for 2026. We will have plenty of time to discuss this and other related matters.

Will you reduce the amount of dates for international matches in the calendar?

The international match calendar has only recently been agreed until 2022, so there will be plenty of time to discuss this topic for the future.

At UEFA the priority is club football, while at FIFA it’s the national sides. How do you make the change?

UEFA’s priority is football. And in particular National Teams and we have shown it with the recent projects of an increased EURO with 24 teams, the centralization of TV rights for the qualifiers and the new Nations League. All projects for the development of National Team Football. But the club competitions also deserve special attention. Therefore, at UEFA, the development of National Team Football has not been done to the detriment of club football, but both national teams and clubs have been hugely boosted by UEFA’s actions in the last few years.

At UEFA we have placed a lot of emphasis on supporting Member Associations and national teams including the HatTrick programme which, for more than a decade now, has had a positive impact on the development of European football focussing on investment funding, knowledge-sharing and sports education. Launched at the end of 2003 it was established to provide financial support to the UEFA Member Associations in order to develop and foster football at all levels.

We’ve also just overseen another expansion of the UEFA EURO taking the number of participating teams to 24. This has already been a huge success, from a sporting, promotional and commercial point of view for UEFA and its Member Associations and it also gives more nations the opportunity to qualify and live the major tournament fever!

I will employ a similar vision if elected FIFA President ensuring the specific needs of all Member Associations are met. FIFA’s prime mission is to develop football around the world and as a benchmark, and after all necessary adjustments, I believe that FIFA should easily be able to ear-mark at least 50% of its income for direct distribution to its Member Associations for football development projects. This translates into a very significant increase in the Financial Assistance Programme (FAP) and other development and solidarity programmes available for Member Associations and Confederations.

This would mean a minimum of $5million over 4 years per Member Association and $40million over 4 years per Confederation for investment in football development projects.

The footballers who accompany you on your campaign (all the ones posing with you for the photo at Wembley) have they got a commercial relationship or are paid money, directly or indirectly, by your campaign or by UEFA? Do they earn money from UEFA? Are they paid?

Of course not! The players and coaches and everyone else were there supporting me of their own volition to back my candidacy and I am extremely grateful for this. This is something I’m really proud. To have so many players, coaches and other relevant figures coming out supporting me only because they think my project is the best and that I can do a good job.

FIFA needs to reconnect with the key actors of the game: the players. It must ensure that their voices are heard on all football-related matters and must also give players the opportunity to fully participate in the development, promotion and social responsibility aspects of the game. Players who wish to give something back to the world of football should be positively encouraged to do so and FIFA should provide a platform for them. I will open FIFA’s doors to the players by creating a Legends Team, designed and built to create build a network which will fulfil this purpose.

http://en.as.com/en/2016/02/22/football/1456155201_214209.html

El Flaco

Salman Bin Al-Khalifa's interview with AS

What are the most important things you want to do if you’re elected as FIFA president on Friday?

First of all I think is to separate the business side from the football side. In FIFA it’s urgent that football and business is separated. FIFA has two sides, one financial and one sporting. My idea is to divide the two powers. With that we can improve, we’ll make the sponsors happy. That’s why we need to choose the best people in business. Hire the perfect people for the job and put them in the right areas. We need to identify football development programmes based on the needs existing in each country, about all those that need the most help. And all of it has to be done in a transparent manner. We need to focus on that.

Have you thought about specific people to do these two jobs?

Not yet, but they have to be the best. FIFA should copy the model of organisations that work perfectly. The Premier is a great example of how things should be done, separating the two powers, football and business. I’d like someone like the President of the Premier, Richard Scudamore, for the business side, and Sir Alex Ferguson for the football side. They could be FIFA directors and bring their know-how to help us improve. Looking for help and the wisdom of the best is vital for an organisation like ours; it’s what we need to do. In Europe, not just the Premier League has a good structure, the Bundesliga too and the Spanish Liga. People are happy with how the tournaments are run, where football is the main thing, and at the same time, they are successful business models.

What plans do you have for Women’s Football? Will you bring women into the executive bodies of FIFA?

Women’s Football has grown a lot in recent years and it needs to be looked after. FIFA should support Women’s Football to the maximum. It needs a global development plan, with more powers and an increase in its development budget. And logically, this growth should be reflected in the organisation’s governing bodies. But, in addition to women, we need to implement similar development plans with grassroots football, with children, because they are the future of our sport. We need to support and encourage grass roots football the world over, particularly in less favoured countries.

Do you agree with increasing the World Cup to 40 countries?

The idea is there and it’s been put to the FIFA Executive Committee, but we need to make sure that, if we agree on that, that there is the right justification that it is a positive move. We have to consult with the stakeholders around the world, because it affects them as well. As an Asian president, yes, I’m in favour. But it’s not just about a number. It’s about the rest of the issues that are related in increasing the number. The professional leagues have a say, the footballers, the union have a say, the clubs as well.

If you’re elected as president will you renounce your right to a salary?

I said that I don’t want to be an executive president. And the definition of an executive president and a non-executive president is that a non-executive president is not paid. If somehow they want an executive president to be there, this is a different situation. But I believe in having the right people in and delegating to them, but on the other hand we have to emphasise as well that the president has to be hands-on to know exactly what happens. It doesn’t mean if he’s non-executive that he’s away. There are some people who are using this as a negative instead of as a positive thing against me. And as for the mandate, the recommendation from the Reform Committee is to have three mandates for the president and the Executive Committee. We in Asia are supporting it. So I think 12 years is a good period for a president, if he’s elected for 12 years, to show his abilities. In my opinion the president of FIFA should dedicate his efforts to developing football as a source of FIFA’s funds. To run FIFA as a professional organisation and not a political one.

In your opinion is it time for a non-European president?

I think it’s the time to choose the right person. Whatever his background is, whatever his position is as well. We have to look at all these qualities in the candidate [and look at] what his track record is, and if we feel comfortable that he has the ability to take this organisation forward, then it doesn’t matter what his background is, as long as we feel that he is the right person that we can trust to take this organisation forward. I think things will be very equal up to the vote, but I believe in my chances.

Are you aware of the problems of Ángel Villar in Spain? The Spanish government have opened a case against him that could see him suspended. Do you know about it?

I cannot say anything because it’s an internal problem, a local problem. I have no idea about it.

But do you have a good relationship with Villar? You know him, you’re both FIFA vice-presidents…

I try to have good relations with everyone, and with Villar too. But as we’re talking about Spain, pass on my regards to Butragueño. And to Del Bosque too, the man behind the recent great successes of football in your country. FIFA needs people like him. We talked of Ferguson before, and now we’re mentioning another of the characters of whom football should be proud: Del Bosque.

We were talking about Villar…

I know him, of course. We’re both FIFA vice-presidents.

I won’t go on anymore about Villar. What feeling do you have about the elections on Friday in Zurich?

I respect all the candidates. But things are looking very good and positive for me and I have a positive feeling for Friday and I hope that things will be good. I think I can help FIFA. That’s why I’m standing.

What do you think is vitally important for FIFA to get out of its current situation?

I think we have to bring stability back, because without stability there is no development, there is no future, and I think this is what people are looking for. We proved that in Asia, because we had issues in the past, but we have proved that Asia is solid and is united and has one voice, and there is a good understanding and a good atmosphere. That’s what we want to do for FIFA.

What do you think about the World Cups in Russia and Qatar?

I think that Russia deserves to host the World Cup in 2018 and Qatar as well [in 2022]. 2018 is ongoing now, so there is no need even to talk about the World Cup in Russia and their Local Organising Committee are doing a great job under their chairman Vitaly Mutko, and his CEO is doing a great job so we’re all looking forward to a great and successful World Cup in Russia. And in Qatar, the 2022 Local Organising Committee have already started on the infrastructure and they’re moving ahead, and as an Asian and the Asian Football Confederation president I’m sure that we will have a terrific and successful World Cup in Qatar, because I know how much has been invested for this event. And believe me, I know that it’s going to be some of the most successful World Cups ever.

Are you a Real Madrid or Barcelona fan? Isn’t it true that everyone in the world is a fan of their local side and either Real Madrid or Barcelona?

I support Manchester United. We’re not having our best time, but we’ll be back soon, with players as good as Mata, who I like a lot. But we all follow the Spanish league and we always have people that’s supporting either team and that rivalry between Real Madrid and Barcelona is not only in Spain, it’s in the rest of the world. It’s a worldwide rivalry. It’s a great thing for football.

Are you in favour of the use of technology in football?

I think the game as it is and the laws of the game should be as they are, and if there are changes it has to be studied very carefully through the International Football Association Board, the organisation which implements the rules of the game. And I support technology’s input, because I think goal-line technology made a big difference. Yes, maybe now it’s not easy to implement it in every league or tournament, but I think it made a big difference and the accuracy of the technology in that sense made it very clear that teams have not suffered wrong decisions. But we have to look at other ways as well, consulting through the stakeholders and the people and the professional leagues on how we improve this game and introduce new laws. I’m not restricted to anything; we have to have an open mind. But we have to be practical and simple to keep the game as it is, as beautiful as it is.

Did you play football?

I played as a youngster, as a lover of the game. I was an attacking midfielder.

Like Xavi Hernández…?

Well, more or less, but with the only thing in common is the position. Of course I never played like he does. Obviously. I think that in my footballing time, the 70s and 80s, football was very different to how it is now.

Which footballers stand out? At your age, maybe Maradona?

Maradona was a great player, the best of my generation. But you can’t just pick one. [Alfredo] Di Stéfano, Pelé and of course [Ferenc] Puskas… Great names. And now you see [Leo] Messi and [Cristiano] Ronaldo, who have always entertained us in football. They’re in a league of their own; they bring so much joy into the game.

Manchester United against Bayern Munich in the 1999 Champions League final. That was a crazy three minutes.

How do you aim to put an end to corruption in FIFA?

I think we have to safeguard the game. We have to make a lot of regulations and I’m sure that through the Reform Committee’s recommendations that are going to be implemented there are very clear guidelines. But we have to work closer to other organisations, government and non-government organisations, to make sure that the game is clean. It’s not easy, because you have over a billion people who are related to football and I don’t think it’s just FIFA that can handle all that responsibility. You have to use the authority of the national associations, the confederations, other organisations as well, to be part of this process.

You’ve been accused in relation to the repression of athletes in Bahrain in 2011. What do you have to say about that matter?

Just a few days ago we signed a pledge in that regard, for the protection of Human Rights. It’s a priority for me and I think it should be too for the future FIFA president. And if we talk about human rights and the rights of players, yes of course, we will always be a part of that to support the players and to support the athletes all around the world. As to the accusations, I can only say that they were made without proof and only for political reasons.

Have you thought about creating an anti-corruption observatory at FIFA?

I need to examine the idea of creating a global anti-corruption agency, a joint agency, run by sporting organisations with justice departments around the world. But aside from that kind of initiative, we need to focus on the game, on football, and not politics. We need to focus on football as soon as possible to get back to normality. And I hope we can bring the unity and understanding to FIFA that we now have in Asia. It has to be a team effort, it needs to be done professionally and positively, but the main thing are the intentions, if you have good intentions and the intention to do the right thing, I’m sure everything will go well.

Does FIFA need a complete revolution?

Not a complete revolution. It needs to regenerate, reposition itself and reconsider its objectives. These are the reasons for which I’m standing and the true objective of a president.

http://en.as.com/en/2016/02/24/football/1456298124_853392.html

Infantino in the lead against cheick Salman. There'll be a second round soon.
Great job by FIFA to keep the elections under the radar. Sounds promising, lol.

F

Flavia

[tw]703263579173228544[/tw]

CcJ_3RBWEAAF3g4.jpg:large

He said something about a wc with 40+ nt's.

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
Great, now Real will get their transfer ban lifted soon. Another madridista as president.

Home of Barca Fans