Virgil van Dijk

El Gato

Villarato!
Yeah, i was surprised to learn that VD is already 27y old. That's the latest age one can peak and it's mostly downwards from there, but people talk about him like the next big thing. Just solid player in the very good system i think. Pique also benefited from very good system, but was world class at a lot younger age and the same with Ramos, while Puyi was world class in and off no matter what in his mature years.

Most CBs don’t peak until their 30s. They don’t play with legs or lungs, rather get their best years whenever their mental fortitude is at its highest. A guy like Demichelis was fluffing around the Bayern side before having his best years at Malaga and City. Same thing goes for most average or shit central defenders.

Arizona Scott

I am not saying VVD is better than Puyol, Pique or Ramos at their peak (and I hate him but Pepe was effective, as was Terry, Ferdinand). But in the game today he is the best. Varane gets some cred for leading the french line (though they were not overwhelming by and large, one of the less impressive WC winners), but for Real Varane has never had to lead them, more just do a more simple job (analogous to Lovren or whoever VVD partner is who suddenly looks great, or Umtiti). I don't think for an instant Varane has the all around the impact of VVD, or a fit Umtiti, and I have watched all three a lot.

Havesaks

Best defender in the world. Wouldnt mind giving him second place in bd'Or. Singlehandley made lfc's defence best in the leauge. Great leader, most complete defender I have watched. IF he can continue this level for 6-7 seasons, (has already 2-3 seasons at top level) i dont mind putting him on shelf with pique, puyol, despite beinh a late bloomer. Lets be honest pique only had 2-3 seasons on level with vvd's last 3 seasons. 14/15, 18/19 and maybe 10/11 - or did I forget one? Would have loved to see him pair up with de ligt. 600m for him in stead of coutinho. Well titi/lenglet arent too bad tho

utility73

Highly deserved. Best player in EPL this season and best center back in the world.

[tw]1122617480638341120[/tw]

Last edited:

Barcilliant

Fantastic player but people are going overboard. Remember Liverpools defense is pretty well shielded by their midfield.

Great player though. Let's hope he has a couple of shit games against us.

serghei

Fantastic player but people are going overboard. Remember Liverpools defense is pretty well shielded by their midfield.

Great player though. Let's hope he has a couple of shit games against us.

Exactly. Pique in the last months has played better than him. And he takes more risks as well. Only City can compare with us in that league, and City beat them once and almost beat them on Anfield too, if Mahrez scores the PK, a penalty that Van Dijk caused.

On Camp Nou it's gonna be a huge test for him. Let's see how he does vs some elite dribblers.

FinBarcelonafan

Exactly. Pique in the last months has played better than him. And he takes more risks as well. Only City can compare with us in that league, and City beat them once and almost beat them on Anfield too, if Mahrez scores the PK, a penalty that Van Dijk caused.

On Camp Nou it's gonna be a huge test for him. Let's see how he does vs some elite dribblers.

They are going to park the bus and attack on counter. It's not going to hard for him.

serghei

They are going to park the bus and attack on counter. It's not going to hard for him.

it's gonna be great for us if they park the bus. It means they won't be able to attack in numbers.

he has single handedly turned liverpool's defnse that was a joke for years into the best defense in the league with the least goals conceded. he deserves all the plaudits

It's mostly Klopp's work.

Home of Barca Fans