Virgil van Dijk

Adversus

There is a massive difference between VVD's challenge on James and Pickford's on VVD. Tackles like VVD did on James happen many times every game. Pickford's tackle was a leg breaker.
Yea there was no excuse for VVD.

His was clearly a challenge designed to put a marker/slow James down/injure depending on how much of the benefit of the doubt you want to give.
Pickford's wasn't even a tackle but a collision caused by his momentum carrying him into VVD after he was attempting to block a shot where he had to come out fast to close down the angle. Happens all the time too.

Attackers know how to avoid injury when being tackled, defenders don't. That's the real reason the consequences were so dire for VVD and hopefully not for James.

Last edited:

Batistuta9

Yea there was no excuse for VVD.

His was clearly a challenge designed to put a marker/slow James down/injure depending on how much of the benefit of the doubt you want to give.
Pickford's wasn't even a tackle but a collision caused by his momentum carrying him into VVD after he was attempting to block a shot where he had to come out fast to close down the angle. Happens all the time too.

Attackers know how to avoid injury when being tackled, defenders don't. That's the real reason the consequences were so dire for VVD and hopefully not for James.

The challenges still aren't comparable imo. The challenge by VVD was a normal foul, possibly a yellow card at most. The majority of people agree that Pickford deserved a red.

Batistuta9

People are too easily swayed by the media.

My opinion isn't based on the media. I watched the game and I'm calling it as it is. If you don't want to accept my view, that's fine. Although, to me it seems your bias towards Everton is clouding your judgement. I'm pretty sure Everton fans would be complaining like LFC fans if the roles were reversed.

Adversus

My opinion isn't based on the media. I watched the game and I'm calling it as it is. If you don't want to accept my view, that's fine. Although, to me it seems your bias towards Everton is clouding your judgement. I'm pretty sure Everton fans would be complaining like LFC fans if the roles were reversed.
Gomes was injured by Son last year and the reaction by people was completely different. Injuries happen. It's regretful they do but pickford had no choice but to come out and make him self big and go for that ball.

El Gato

Villarato!

It's not normal in the sense that it's OK to brush it off, it's normal in that these tackles tend to happen. Doesn't make it any less reckless than it was.

Batistuta9

It's not normal in the sense that it's OK to brush it off, it's normal in that these tackles tend to happen. Doesn't make it any less reckless than it was.

VVD's tackle was normal in the sense that it wasn't reckless,out of control and endanging the opponent. Have you seen anyone ever get a red for the tackle VVD did? Pickford's was out of control and reckless.

Last edited:

Adversus

VVD's tackle was normal in the sense that it wasn't reckless,out of control and endanging the opponent. Have you seen anyone ever get a red for the tackle VVD did? Pickford's was out of control and reckless.
How many reds have you seen given to a goalkeeper when it's a 50/50 challenge.

There is a reason for that. Goalkeepers get the benefit of the doubt and everyone understands when they come out to claim or challenge for the ball.

The outcome doesn't change that.

Kuavo

People are too easily swayed by the media.

Potentially the most deluded football 'fan' I've ever seen. The only person I've seen try and justify Pickford's challenge. Momentum, yeah.. OK. The two challenges cannot be compared, think you're watching the wrong sport.

Adversus

Most deluded fan. Get over it. Its a contact sport and the ball was there to be won. All goal keepers come off their line for that one. It's up to VVD not to stand legs planted like an idiot. VVD injured James with a late challenge minutes before. Gave Deulofeu an ACL. He's hardly an angel himself

For that the shite's fans have been given Pickford death threats. Biggest bunch of victim mentality assholes you will see in football.

Home of Barca Fans