Virgil van Dijk

Arizona Scott

Puyol 04/05 beats him easily for me, mediocre GK, Oleguer (enough said) Gio who was terrible defender that year and was more of an attacking LB, Belletti was mediocre defender. A midfield that didn't protect defense, and a weird offside trap that all his teammates was doing it wrong. He made us best defense in Liga even though we conceded 3 goals against Betis when he was injured and against RM when he was playing through injury because we didn't have a real replacement.
One of the most underrated season by a defender in football history, if not the most IMHO

I wouldn't argue against this, I think Puyol is the most underrated defender of all time and was incredible defensively and offensively. A blend of special technique, athleticism, best split 2nd judgement I have seen, great leadership and focus.

Arizona Scott

FYI Van Dijk hit fastest speed in the CL. Someone posted a bit back pace (initial burst and top end speed) wasn't that important for CBs they were looking at but it sure helps. He is a big eraser for not just his own missteps but for other players too--seeing De Ligt next to him was not favorable for De Ligt.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...l-news/man-city-duo-champions-league-16434943

I wouldn't mind springing for Sanchez off Spurs or Tah or one of the RBL french ones in a year to replace Pique if we miss out on De Ligt. Might even be better long term, more reasonable wage, adding pace to the spine of our defense, etc. I am not sweating the MDL wait.

EdmondDantes

Is it crazy to say Matip has comfortably outperformed van Dijk in 2019?

Matip had a better second half of the season and Champions League run since the turn of the year. Virgil has started the season rather poorly whilst Matip, on the other hand, has been superb - especially on the ball as well.

Just a quick thought.

It's crazy he didn't opt to play for Germany, he'd be starting for them right now.

Last edited:

Birdy

Is it crazy to say Matip has comfortably outperformed van Dijk in 2019?

Matip had a better second half of the season and Champions League run since the turn of the year. Virgil has started the season rather poorly whilst Matip, on the other hand, has been superb - especially on the ball as well.

Just a quick thought.

It's crazy he didn't opt to play for Germany, he'd be starting for them right now.

One of the most underrated CBs ever...
If only he was not so injury-prone!

The quarter of Alisson on the goal, VVD-Matip at CB and Fabinho in front of them is one of the most solid back-lines football has seen

Xaviniesta

One of the most underrated CBs ever...
If only he was not so injury-prone!

The quarter of Alisson on the goal, VVD-Matip at CB and Fabinho in front of them is one of the most solid back-lines football has seen

he is better than the overrated gomez and is a major reason why they won the CL. amazing in the air, crazy good interceptions, sublime passing. matip was as good as van dijk minus the speed last season. he was definitely better in the critical moments too.

it's a shame he is plagued by injuries, he's a brilliant player on his day.

JamDav1982

Gomes was better than Matip this season.

Liverpools defence got better when Gomez got into the team to point the league was won.

VVD is far ahead of both of them but Gomez will be his partner next season would think if they dont sign anyone.

Xaviniesta

Gomes was better than Matip this season.

Liverpools defence got better when Gomez got into the team to point the league was won.

VVD is far ahead of both of them but Gomez will be his partner next season would think if they dont sign anyone.

Gomez was Klopp's 4th choice CB at the beginning of the season. he started only 1 out of the first 16 games at CB.

By then, Liverpool were 10pts ahead of 2nd place Leicester. Luckily for him Matip and Lovren got injured, and he then had a nice set of easy fixtuers where the opponents rarely attacked, which made liverpool's defence look good as they continued winning. But in the hard games he never looked like a world-beater.

If you look at the ratings, Gomez is ranked 15th or lower in the liverpool squad in both the PL and CL for the past 2 seasons. He is overrated mostly because he's English. Matip is better when fit but Gomez is only 23 so he still has room to improve. Hence why Klopp will continue to give him game time.

FCMessi

Rest in peace

the farmer team on top of EPL and hyper extending knees and ligaments.

Last edited:

clemente

Just like that... Crazy how careers can end like that, I don't think he'll bounce back to his peak at his age.

Adversus

Tried to take James out in the first minute intentionally and now James is out for Southampton yet all the Liverpool fans are crying after he was injured in a 50/50.

Batistuta9

Tried to take James out in the first minute intentionally and now James is out for Southampton yet all the Liverpool fans are crying after he was injured in a 50/50.

There is a massive difference between VVD's challenge on James and Pickford's on VVD. Tackles like VVD did on James happen many times every game. Pickford's tackle was a leg breaker.

Home of Barca Fans