Mavericky Puig

tacticvarium

There always have been people in the forum who were doubtful and skeptical about the overhype surrounding Riqui mostly due to his physique since years ago. As a Cule and Cruyffista, I support La Masia and our canteranos and want to see them succeed as future starters here but you have to be aware that La Masia players are a lot more prone to overhype because they are more exposed to the media and attentions.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

La Masia players are a lot more prone to overhype because they are more exposed to the media and attentions.

Not only that.
In 90s, people could watch only SOME matches on a Tv and read about players in daily and weekly papers.
So, if you were a fan of Barca leaving in Poland or Germany, you wouldn't know too much about La Masia kids in 1995.

Then, 20-ish years ago, computer Football manager games started to be popular and people started to be aware of more youngsters.
Then, with an era of internet, you were suddenly able to read about La Masia kids in El Mundo deportivo or on some sport internet sites who were talking about young players.

But today, in 2020, every single kid or a fan has:
1. internet
2. smartphones
3. youtube, instagram, twitter, forum account

Basically, anyone, with or without football knowledge can create youtube videos, instagram posts and similar.
And since internet is filled with billions of fans who always need HOPE and the next big thing=then you get Rikis, Alenas, Wagues and similar.

When you can watch youtube videos, dribbles, goals, each of those kids look like a real deal and a true gem.
While in reality, majority of them will play a 2nd division football one day or they will move to a midtable club from Israel or Cyprus.

People need to be aware that papers are earning money from news and clicks.
They need to write about youngsters because people are reading that shit.

And about Youtube videos, people are earning money on youtube from views.
Young fans are hungry for new hopes.
How to earn money on them?
Simple= create tons of videos with youngsters and "future superstars", lol.
Creators are earning money, fans are living in a dreamland, and Riki will eventually play for a 2nd div team later in his career.

I mean, look at clowns like Dembele and similar.
This is the era of the biggest hype in a history of mankind.

We can't even say anymore: take it with a grain of salt.
The more accurate estimation about a current era and hype would be: take it with a grain of salt and multiply with 100.

Alik

That is far from the truth, People complained a lot about Puig. Same for Alena, Wague among others.

I'm not saying they didn't. It's a different complaint. Puig never played with EV.

Agree about Aleña. EV freezing him out after this first bad match this season was wrong.

Raketa10

It was clear from the begging he won't make it here but some people were reluctant to admit that. Sell him to some mid table La Liga team in summer and move on.

Gari

Setién: "Riqui Puig? I have already said that I do not like referring to specific players of the youth academy. There are many players who are in the same situation as he's in. They all have a lot of qualities and they're training very well."

Tackle

Lol calm down. Midfield is stacked. Riqui will get more chances next season.

Aye, you having a laugh mate?

If you consider a midfield consisting of an inconsistent De Jong, slumping Arthur, crocked Rakitic, washed Busquets and past it Vidal as "stacked" I truly wonder how poor you reckon our squad must be next season for Puig to get gifted more chances?

Setien was determined to give Riqui an important role in his squad from day one. Bloke did everything he could to put him in the best possible position to succeed. I doubt any other manager would have gone to the lengths of promoting Puig to the first team squad and giving him minutes in his first match in charge. There was no one that wanted to see the kid do well more than Quique.

....Then Puig started playing and began showing his true "worth." One match later Setien decided he had seen enough and banished him back to where he first came. We will buy, younger, hungrier midfielders this summer in place of Vidal and Rakitic. De Jong will improve. Who knows what the feck is going to happen with Arthur, but we can only hope for the best. Alena; a talent whom I do no rate, but is still superior to Puig will return.

Puig's chapter at this club is over unless he accepts to leave on loan. We could also of course give him more undeserved opportunities, but I think we'd like to challenge for the big trophies next season.

fergus90

Aye, you having a laugh mate?

If you consider a midfield consisting of an inconsistent De Jong, slumping Arthur, crocked Rakitic, washed Busquets and past it Vidal as "stacked" I truly wonder how poor you reckon our squad must be next season for Puig to get gifted more chances?

Setien was determined to give Riqui an important role in his squad from day one. Bloke did everything he could to put him in the best possible position to succeed. I doubt any other manager would have gone to the lengths of promoting Puig to the first team squad and giving him minutes in his first match in charge. There was no one that wanted to see the kid do well more than Quique.

....Then Puig started playing and began showing his true "worth." One match later Setien decided he had seen enough and banished him back to where he first came. We will buy, younger, hungrier midfielders this summer in place of Vidal and Rakitic. De Jong will improve. Who knows what the feck is going to happen with Arthur, but we can only hope for the best. Alena; a talent whom I do no rate, but is still superior to Puig will return.

Puig's chapter at this club is over unless he accepts to leave on loan. We could also of course give him more undeserved opportunities, but I think we'd like to challenge for the big trophies next season.

To be quite honest, no b team player would get past Rakitic,Vidal,Busquets, De Jong in squad selection no matter their form. They are big names on huge wages, very very few managers would do that at any club because of their reputation, rightly or wrongly. I think Puig could have a decent career somewhere if he bulked up a bit at Barca though he stands no chance.

But you're very right about the state of the midfield, its pretty dire and needs a major overhaul.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Puig is nowhere near Barca first team squad material.

He more or less plays a free role in B team and folk go over the top about his performances based on some flashy touches.

Needs to go on loan but cant even see any decent level teams taking him.

serghei

Puig is nowhere near Barca first team squad material.

He more or less plays a free role in B team and folk go over the top about his performances based on some flashy touches.

Needs to go on loan but cant even see any decent level teams taking him.

Yea, same feeling. My main beef with him is his his stature though. Nothing to do with height in particular, it's just that his build is that of a child. His leg is like my arm.

KingLeo10

Yea, same feeling. My main beef with him is his his stature though. Nothing to do with height in particular, it's just that his build is that of a child. His leg is like my arm.

Yup, Kante is the same height as Puig but one is a WC winning workhorse while the other is a twig.

Puig is an idiot for not bulking up. 56 kg is not acceptable for top level football.

Home of Barca Fans