Mavericky Puig

Tackle

Don't want to jump to any conclusions, but in any case we have a couple of other promising midfielders coming through + Pedri.

He's not anything like Samper. He can still be a decent squad player while Samper's in Japan.

This is how is always goes, aye?

First at age 17-19 fans project a prospect they like to become a key first-team player. Then as some time passes and reality starts to strike at age 20-22 fans still hold out hope the prospect can be a decent squad player.

Puig will probably go out on loan next season to some midtable club where he will find it even more difficult to cope with this physicality required. Japan isn't too far away after that, although it isn't very likely.

The average Barca fan that started watching in 08-12 took a gander at some of his nice passing highlights in Segunda B and deemed him the next Iniesta. Just like how Samper was supposed to be the next Busquets/Xavi.

Last edited:

LeeRomeno

His youtube highlight is even not impressive, I don't understand why our fanbase hype on him

Because La Masia is unrealistically idolized and any player with a bit of skill there needs to be promoted right away. It is just another Pep brought fanbase obsession that will not go away.

khaled_a_d

The average Barca fan that started watching in 08-12 took a gander at some of his nice passing highlights in Segunda B and deemed him the next Iniesta. Just like how Samper was supposed to be the next Busquets/Xavi.

It is because those önline scouts"probably watch only 1 team. Whoever stand out for them they think he is the real deal.
When he is just facing players of certain age group in one country, for Barca he will to face the best players worldwide from those who were standouts of 15 different age groups when they were in youth systems. \
This is why we always have the next great thing, because he is just the best among his colleagues

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
This is how is always goes, aye?

First at age 17-19 fans project a prospect they like to become a key first-team player. Then as some time passes and reality starts to strike at age 20-22 fans still hold out hope the prospect can be a decent squad player.

Puig will probably go out on loan next season to some midtable club where he will find it even more difficult to cope with this physicality required. Japan isn't too far away after that, although it isn't very likely.

Being a squad player wouldn't be that unrealistic. He's definitely talented although got some obvious physical limitations.

With the amount of garbage we tend to sign to be squad players it's definitely possible.

Anyway, not going to go crazy after one game like most of you do if a player has a good or bad game.

fergus90

I think its a bit harsh to jump to conclusions based on one game where the whole team struggled, similarly you can't say he's going to make it based off Youtube highlights and cameos.

In terms of skill he looks one of the brighter sparks of La Masia in recent years but that doesn't mean it automatically carries through to senior football. He has a lot of work to do but I'm sure he has the tools to have a decent career somewhere if he improves his physicality.

DonAK

Samper is in Japan after injuries and loans in Liga. He did well in Segunda tbh.
I was the first to say Samper won't make it here, but he had the talent to make it to Liga IMHO

He's in Japan because his loans didn't go well and he want to play regularly. I'm not sure he got any offers from Liga teams that would give him that chance.

Puig's more talented than Samper, but got some other issues. I'm not sure how much I rate his chances of being at Barcelona in two years, but I'm not going to write off any player after one or two bad games. I prefer giving a player more games unless they're so bad it's painfully obvious like it was with Douglas.

tacticvarium

Online scouts aka @Youngcules, Navid Molaaghaei (@navidjaaan) and their stupid followers.
But hey I know there are also many fans of Puig here who said he will be our next Iniesta or sth.
If he is 15 or 16, I would be fine with this ridiculous hype and I would actually support him a lot but in reality, this kid turns 21 this year.
Remember how good David Silva, Cesc, etc. were at the same age? Not gonna even mention Xavi, Iniesta here.

khaled_a_d

He's in Japan because his loans didn't go well and he want to play regularly. I'm not sure he got any offers from Liga teams that would give him that chance.

Again, huge part of that was due to injury he had.
He played some decent games for young prospect in Liga.
I think he is better talent than Puig but his game was outdated especially for Barca. He was playing like an old version of Pirlo which had no place in a club like Barca anymore.
Puig biggest advantage is having a clear position in our system, something that the likes of Denis/Rafinha/Alena/Samper all didn't have despite most of them probably being more talented.

DonAK

Again, huge part of that was due to injury he had.
He played some decent games for young prospect in Liga.
I think he is better talent than Puig but his game was outdated especially for Barca. He was playing like an old version of Pirlo which had no place in a club like Barca anymore.

Samper better talent than Puig? Until they reached Barca B, for sure, after it I disagree. Both have their physical limitations, but Samper's style and position made it almost impossible for him to succeed at most top or mid table level teams.

Samper plays like the old version of Pirlo that needed three physical/energetic midfielders around him to do the defensive work. Vidal, Pogba and Marchisio.

The problem is that he's nowhere good enough for that.

Puig is a more offensive player and is able to break lines and play some good through passes that could warrant him a squad player role or a decent role at a mid-table team like Giovinco when he played for Empoli and Parma.

mc_lovin

Relax, noone looked good. That was probably the most chaotic game we played in recent times. No structure at the back, no structure in midfield and no focal point in attack. Thats poison for a talent like Puig.

Im still shocked that we started the season with only one centre forward :lol:

BusiTheKing

When compared to Iniesta, Cesc, David Silva, Xavi and those, he trades sharpness for explosivity and alacrity. In some games it will be useful and in others it wont. Still got plenty of time to round off those edges.

God Serena

His physique is probably the main thing that has always made it clear to me that Alena would have a better career long-term. That being said, the first team has managed to make pussies like Neymar and Dembele (Still a work in progress I know) bulk up over a year or two, so it's possible he could receive the same treatment if Setien does intend to promote him.

Home of Barca Fans