Mavericky Puig

Trickykid

Andres SWOLE Iniesta checking in.

CHou5adUwAAXZZp.jpg

Seriously, if Puig is good enough, he's good enough. I'd be much more sceptical if it was his flair and ball control we were worrying over rather than his physique.

Last edited:

kadeng

sometimes i believe half of this forum never played amateur football on a weekly basis for years..
all this chatter about this huge importance of physique in football in this forum is getting too much attention.
ofc its not entirely unimportant. but its much more important how you use and position your body in a duel, which is more related to football knowledge/IQ and experience. and most importantly: the using of your arms. if you stretch them out and use them like a shield, your opponent will have it much more difficult against you, regardless of your physique.

Gnidrologist

xavi and iniesta were not weak though, they were small yes but people underestimate their strengths, along with messi

puig, and denis suarez are weak.. a gust of wind seems to push them down
Have you actually seen how Puig deals with physical challenges? Think he's quite sturdy given his small frame. Very similar to what Xavi was in his age (18-19). Obviously he needs to grow more muscle, but for current development he's quit strong. Also his wits compensate some of the lack in brawn. Also a typical feet to our 'la masia schooloys'. Denis isn't in the same league as this kid in terms of talent and he is still physically weak at the age 24-25 if i'm not mistaking. The later is no longer a future prospect.

Total-Football

If you think physique go back and Watch Owen in his prime years with Liverpool.. He was as big as an apple, 0 muscles and yet he was terrorizing defenders.. When you are not physically strong but talented and smart your anatomy develops other skills which can be brutally effective sometimes.

khaled_a_d

Guys,this club has always made a plan for every new "important" signings to add muscles and it is something that we are very good at.
Neymar done it, Dembele and Arthur is doing it and the list goes on and on. Even our own players added a lot of upper and lower body strength like Messi,Iniesta and Xavi.
It is essential part of football even if you can point to some exceptions, and our club understands that more than anyone.
Puig is in good hand aand likely the club has a plan for him to bulk up, but he will need to stick to it and add weight if he wants to develop well and don't end up getting bullied a lot

tacticvarium

The club usually has specific physical training & meal plans for each player (especially for those who are regarded as special talents within La Masia),
and if I remember correctly, Puig already began the training since his Juv B season.
This is a long-term process and you can't just rush a professional athlete to bulk up quickly especially if you are a football player.
So if Puig can't still keep up with other players physical-wise as he gets older, it would mean that he has hit the limit.

Porque

Atleast despite his current physical limitations he managed to hang with first team opponents in pre-season. I recall Gai Assulin, who looked technically fantastic in the youth categories. Then he played a few friendlies with the first team and looked like he was doing everything in slow motion. He just couldn't hang with first division football.

Riqui can, he plays quick mentality, and is quick with his technical movements and acceleration. He knows how to use his body too. If he strengthens up over the next 24 months then he can make the first team.

BusiTheKing

He's small but he has that tense, vigoruous physique and way of using his body. If he moved like, say Yoann Gourcuff, then I would be woried, but he's more firm like Messi or Modric in that sense.

tacticvarium

After watching a few games this season, it's evident that Puig and Aleñá are still adapting to each other.
Puig is the same age as Oriol Busi but unlike Oriol and Aleñá, Puig hasn't played together with Aleñá because of his late promotion. Oriol was promoted quicker than him.

Although Puig and Aleñá are not exactly the same type of players and Aleñá is perhaps more offensive one, they occasionally occupy the similar space and role on the pitch. It seems that Pimienta is trying to solve this by playing Puig more deeper and Aleñá more advanced.
However, there are occasions that they sometimes negate each other's strengths, especially for Aleñá because he performs the best when he touches the ball a lot and uses the pitch wide. He has always been the main man when it comes to both slow build-up and fast tempo attacks (at least since Cad A/Juv B). So, it is not clear whether it is ideal for him to be restricted to a specific role.
It looks more hopeful than Kaptoum-Aleñá combination but it is certain that there are still works to be done.

Raketa10

Copa next week.

If you take into consideration that Vidal, Denis and Alena will play for sure I doubt Riqui will get his chance in Copa. How many B team players can play for A team in the same game?

I would say Alena, Miranda and one CB from B team are for sure going to start the game.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans