Mavericky Puig

JamDav1982

Despite all the issues with his lean body (which I agree with) I've never seen a game where he's gotten dominated physically.

Maybe it's more obvious in training, but I still think he deserves a proper chance.

In the cup game Barca almost went out in he looked physically weak and dominated when trying to play as a midfielder.

For B team he more or less plays a free role which allows him to get into more space and less physical side of it.

Barca wont play with an AM and if they did there are far better players than him to play it. Collado and Monchu have been better than him this season even if he does have some flashy highlights those two are much more constant presence in games.

mc_lovin

Despite all the issues with his lean body (which I agree with) I've never seen a game where he's gotten dominated physically.

Maybe it's more obvious in training, but I still think he deserves a proper chance.

Didnt he get pushed around vs Ibiza? I would still like him in the squad next season if we get a physical midfielder to balance things out. Wouldnt mind us experimenting/rotating with him in front of a double pivot (or in a midfied 3 with two stronger midfielders).

fergus90

I'm confident he will develop into a very good midfielder, granted he was poor against Ibiza but the whole team was. Other times Puig has played he's looked more than capable especially in pre season again Arsenal,Chelsea,Milan and Boca Juniors.
Ultimately I'd rather give B team players the minutes wether that be Collado,Monchu,Puig or whoever than sign another 30 million midfielder who flops and gets sold on a season or two later. Especially if they aren't bought to improve or replace what we've already got.

JamDav1982

I'm confident he will develop into a very good midfielder, granted he was poor against Ibiza but the whole team was. Other times Puig has played he's looked more than capable especially in pre season again Arsenal,Chelsea,Milan and Boca Juniors.
Ultimately I'd rather give B team players the minutes wether that be Collado,Monchu,Puig or whoever than sign another 30 million midfielder who flops and gets sold on a season or two later. Especially if they aren't bought to improve or replace what we've already got.

Pre seaon does not mean all that much.

Puig needs to go on loan. The trouble is he most likely would and barely play due to his physicality.

He isnt good enough to play in a midfield three for Barca and they wont change midfield to accomodate him.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Skillwise he's a great talent, but his physical limitations is just going to be too much.

tacticvarium

His technique is great and footballing intelligence is decent or so-so.
But we have already witnessed a lot of Spanish prospects with much better skills like Thiago, Isco, Ceballos, Grimaldo, etc. so Riqui's technique isn't really that impressive to me as well.

Eshez

His technique is great and footballing intelligence is decent or so-so.
But we have already witnessed a lot of Spanish prospects with much better skills like Thiago, Isco, Ceballos, Grimaldo, etc. so Riqui's technique isn't really that impressive to me as well.

I have to agree, his ball skills never stood out to me in the way Thiago's did. Not even close.

Last edited:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
More impressive than his scoring chances for me was how disruptive he was defensively as he applied pressure both deep in the opponents half and defending our goal. He has to be promoted and used more

George_Costanza

More impressive than his scoring chances for me was how disruptive he was defensively as he applied pressure both deep in the opponents half and defending our goal. He has to be promoted and used more

Most posters here used to watch WWF before switching to football so no matter how good Puig is he so too short and skinny to make it into wrestling... I mean football.

Zebulun

Pre seaon does not mean all that much.

Puig needs to go on loan. The trouble is he most likely would and barely play due to his physicality.

He isnt good enough to play in a midfield three for Barca and they wont change midfield to accomodate him.

hey Jam, i hear what you're saying but in those few mins we saw him bully and hassle and press very physically, i'd even go as far to say, he's more physical than ansu. as he constantly gets hacked in segunda and knows how to use his body. i agree that both needs to develop physically but im not so sure he has any physical limitation other than being shorter than messi lol. the loan issue is difficult, he progressed the ball faster and showed more purpose than arthur/rakitic, now we only have a miniature sample size but i think he's worth a shot. loans can be a big hit/miss

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Loan never work for Barca young players

It is likely to work for Barca young players as any other.

Todibo has done not bad, Rafinha was voted best young player in league on loan. Not a loan but Denis did fairly well in time away.

Cucurella another one.

Barca just dont tend to send players on loan as easily as some clubs but there is no reason if the player is good enough it shouldnt work.

Home of Barca Fans