Mavericky Puig

khaled_a_d

Also Ariel Ortega comes to mind. Very small and much slower player than both of the above and still managed to be starter in stacked Arg NT because of technique.

And still failed in Europe, which why the concern about Puig physique is legit considering he is coming to the scene decades later in a more physically demanding football and playing in bigger team.
I seriously don't remember a player who looked to have such small physique in big club, that doesn't mean he will surely not make it, but this is already a huge challenge for him. He will need to improve his body a lot and it will take a huge amount of talent and work ethic for him to make it
He looks even smaller than Saviola

Last edited:

George_Costanza

And still failed in Europe, which why the concern about Puig physique is legit considering he is coming to the scene decades later in a more physically demanding football and playing in bigger team.
I seriously don't remember a player who looked to have such small physique in big club, that doesn't mean he will surely not make it, but this is already a huge challenge for him. He will need to improve his body a lot and it will take a huge amount of talent and work ethic for him to make it

I see this cult of small physique won't make it in a modern football started by BBZ and he made some followers here. This is not contact sports such as Rugby, American football or even basketball so physique is not what makes a footballer better in most positions. When Barcelona was dominating Europe between 2008-2014, we had one of the shortest team in whole Europe. Also looking at the best players in the history, Messi is 5'7, Maradona 5'5 and Pele 5'8, it's a physics reason why a shorter player is better in the midfield and even some forward positions. The short players can change directions much faster than tall ones, and they have better control over their limbs. Lower center of gravity allows quick rotation that makes shorter best and fastest dribblers. The myth of ubermensch has to end really in this forum. We should look for tall players for Goalkeeper position because he must cover as much physical area as possible, and it can help if defenders tower over their opponents too.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Lol this reminds me of concerns about Messi not making it because of his physique.. I believe that Puig will make it at Barca, at least as a rotation option.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He's not had issues with physical players before. If anything he's learned to release the ball faster that way which is only a good thing for him.

He's taller than Ludovic Giuly who had a fairly decent career.

Saviola failed because he wasn't good enough. He was a phenomenon in Argentina and if anyone here have watched CONMEBOL football then they would know it's far more physical there than the Spanish League.

Lower tempo, but far more physical and dangerous tackles allowed there. Like, just watch some of the Libertadores games or the WC qualifiers lol.

Last edited:

Danic

What is this myth in this forum? We are not talking about rugby or something here. If hes always faster with his movement and thought process other players will have a tough time to even get in contact with him.
Iniesta and Xavis physics were almost irrelevant cause they rarly came into contact with markers.

Btw I really like how hes always looking forward and almost want to avoid the easy pass.

Last edited:

tacticvarium

Puig needs to dominate the Seg B and prove himself as the best midfielder there first before someone even claims that he is much ahead of Aleñá who always has been one of the top 3 talents in La Masia since Cadete.
He is also only a year younger than Aleñá.
He needs to catch up fast.

Last edited:

Danic

For me its ok if he just dominates laliga.
He is an absolute gem and should be integrated in the first team as soon as possible. 19 is old enough.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Puig needs to dominate the Seg B and prove himself as the best midfielder there first before someone even claims that he is much ahead of Aleñá who always has been one of the top 3 talents in La Masia since Cadete.
He is also only a year younger than Aleñá.
He needs to catch up fast.

No, he doesn't.

Pedro or Busquets didn't particularly dominate in the lower divisions. Alena might dominate Segunda B and Segunda and Puig still end up as a better 1st team player. Not saying it will happen, but it's not unlikely either.

tacticvarium

Guess Puig has become another new toy people would love to overhype.
All of a sudden Aleñá is just average talent now:lol:
Stop comparing him to Aleñá and just let him grow! geez

Gnidrologist

I think it's Alena who's been overhyped. His play seems to on the level of S.Roberto. Doesn't mean Puig will necessarily be success, but talent wise he's obviously above him, especially with passing.

Danic

Guess Puig has become another new toy people would love to overhype.
All of a sudden Aleñá is just average talent now:lol:
Stop comparing him to Aleñá and just let him grow! geez

I wont. In my opinion they arent even the same player types...
Im not hyping players usually but Puig has the special something so many of our lamasia players were lacking in the last years.
And im impressed how confident this guy is on the field with his 19 years. Its like he wants to take control of the game instantly.
Of course he has to prove himself further but I hope valverde wont wait too long to give him more minutes and possibilites to do so.

xXKonan

Pimienta has started him on the bench on some cases vs some of the more physical teams Segunda. When you watch him you start to understand why he does it. Not due to lack of talent, but the kid gets butchered a lot in those games.

Segunda III is quite something in that regard. Just pure shithousery down there.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans