Mavericky Puig

BBZ8800

With his level of physical skills, he would need to be the best player in the world in technique to compensate physical deficiences.

So, 99% you won't ever see him as Barca's key player.

messi1995

Well agree that he needs physical development. If he is 1.65 then I believe he can make it because Cazorla and Verratti are also the same height. Feels like physicality doesn't matter that much if you have the technical ability because thats how Cruyff sees football. He even explained that Pep was also physical weak. but the difference is that Pep is 1.80 and Riqui 1.65 or smaller. 😦

Jallo

Height doesn’t matter it’s his strength that’s the main issue. He is too frail and weak, I hope he takes the gym and strength training seriously into the future. He needs to bulk up ASAP, as far as talent his got it in Abundance

tacticvarium

I hope he takes the gym and strength training seriously into the future. He needs to bulk up ASAP, as far as talent his got it in Abundance

It is not as simple as it sounds, especially in professional sports.
Muscle-building exercises must be done carefully in a way that does not affect his growth, agility or techniques.
If you do it wrong, it will only increase the risk of injury and make his strengths even more meaningless.

Last edited:

tacticvarium

Puig is physically too weak even compared to young Iniesta and David Silva, but the problem is that his technical abilities are also not on par with them.
It all depends on how he adapts in Segunda to see if he will "reach" the first team.
Segunda is physically a tough league and even Abel Ruiz has not fully adapted yet.

BBZ8800

Well agree that he needs physical development. If he is 1.65 then I believe he can make it because Cazorla and Verratti are also the same height. Feels like physicality doesn't matter that much if you have the technical ability because thats how Cruyff sees football. He even explained that Pep was also physical weak. but the difference is that Pep is 1.80 and Riqui 1.65 or smaller. ��

Football evolved since Cruijff's days also.

In Cruijff's days:
1. a GK didn't need to possess world class passing skills
2. Cbs didn't need to be world class passers and playmakers
3. players didn't run per match as much as today
4. attackers didn't need to defend as much as today

20 years ago you didn't need physical skills as long as you had technique.
Today the bar is raised and you need at least some basic or medium level of physique if you want to be a top footballer.

Guys like Puig, Halilovic don't have that basic level of physique and it is hard to expect that they will turn into a top level footballers.
Midtable or bottomtable level of La liga clubs: way more likely.

MagIX

In addition, nowadays, you have to be an athlete, a perfect physical (and psychical) preparation virtually maniacal (nutrition, training, mental strength, lifestyle outside the field,....),
all planned and monitored by experts.
You can have all the talent you want, but without having a perfect physical preparation you have no chance nowadays.

khaled_a_d

Puig is physically too weak even compared to young Iniesta and David Silva, but the problem is that his technical abilities are also not on par with them.
It all depends on how he adapts in Segunda to see if he will "reach" the first team.
Segunda is physically a tough league and even Abel Ruiz has not fully adapted yet.

tbh I think the question about making it to the team is to be squad player not a star or legend like Silva or Iniesta.

Height doesn’t matter it’s his strength that’s the main issue. He is too frail and weak, I hope he takes the gym and strength training seriously into the future. He needs to bulk up ASAP, as far as talent his got it in Abundance

It is difficult to get enough strength for duels when you are too short tbh.

tacticvarium

tbh I think the question about making it to the team is to be squad player not a star or legend like Silva or Iniesta.

I mentioned them only to say that Puig's technical ability is not good enough to overcome or compensate his physical weaknesses unlike how those two did.

Last edited:

messi1995

We could’ve seen Puig play today. Instead, we saw McGuane disasterclass. The English Paulinho. Remember when Someone here told me that he has very good technical ability to play here because Wenger praised him? Don't remember what you Joan Laporta and others here said, but the boy is not good enough to play for Barca B. You were wrong about him. I know it was Pep Seguras idea to buy him because who else will go after a physically player with no technical ability? Typically english players, never been a fan of them. I don't expect Riqui to play from the start because he is still a juvenil player, but he has to play after 60-70 minutes of the game.

Instead we are seeing Mcguane so Lopez can bring in a physcally player to help him park the bus. Coward manager. Tired of him thinking more about results than youth players. Like Cruyff said about youth coaches is that they care more about their own reputation than youth players development. When Riqui played last game he provided control something Mcguanne can't give the team, so I hope none of you will tell me that Riqui didn't deserve to play today. Disgusting.

If we are gonna talk about Lopez, he is still an average manager that has zero intelligence. Signings doesn't help him play well. His performance as a coach is average and I hope he leave after this season. Will be many ballers next season with players like Morey, Jandro, Riqui and Miranda and they deserve a better coach. Have I missed someone from Juvenil A?

Last edited:

BusiTheKing

This worrying about his physique is ridiculous. People develop physically at totally different stages in their youth, both in height and in muscle. It's absolutely no use comparing him to anyone else in that regard. Maybe he's behind, but everybody gets there. Unless he has some kind of serious growth deficiency, his physical strength will not hold him back in the long run. Especially not if he's a very technical player. That way of thinking is seriously outdated. Lewandowski was dropped from an academy because he was too skinny and weak.

Home of Barca Fans