Mavericky Puig

kattanib

Rakitic getting even a single minute while Puig is ignored perfectly sums up Valverde as a manager, really.

Remember when he came and all anyone would talk about was Valverde nurturing young players? Those were the days.

Nothing satisfies you.

gregorrin10

Everything about this kid looks special. You can see it in his every move on the pitch. It's like watching a young Iniesta highlights. He was simply everywhere on the pitch, again! Under any other coach/Board he would not only be a part of the first team already, but he would be getting regular minutes already as well, but since he's under 'It is what it is.' he's still playing in the 3rd Division and might be leaving the club (hopefully not!) by the time we finally get rid of EV and this Board...

This kid should be leading our midfield alongside Arthur and De Jong for the next decade. The perfect complimentary attacking midfielder those two need. I pray that he'll still be here in 2021, then we can finally see that Puig-De Jong-Arthur midfield with Alena and Moriba coming off the bench regularly.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

This kid should be leading our midfield alongside Arthur and De Jong for the next decade. The perfect complimentary attacking midfielder those two need. I pray that he'll still be here in 2021, then we can finally see that Puig-De Jong-Arthur midfield with Alena and Moriba coming off the bench regularly.

How would you rate Puig-Arthur-Frenkie trio in a defensive phase of game?
Especially in away La Liga matches, not to mention CL matches.
Or that phase is irrelevant?

Btw. young Iniesta was winning youth NT World cups in teen years.
Puig has zero youth NT caps.

Last edited:

serghei

How would you rate your favorite midfield who got blown out of the stadium defensively vs Roma and Liverpool by conceding 7 goals, and being lucky not to concede 12?

gregorrin10

who the fuck was comparing Riqui and Iniesta based on trophies? I specifically said it based on purely on watching them both on the pitch, the way they move and their style of play. You know what, don't talk to me anymore, man, I already said to you once you're just a troll, and I have you on the ignore list already, so you can save your breath the next time you want to quote me.

Messigician

who the fuck was comparing Riqui and Iniesta based on trophies? I specifically said it based on purely on watching them both on the pitch, the way they move and their style of play. You know what, don't talk to me anymore, man, I already said to you once you're just a troll, and I have you on the ignore list already, so you can save your breath the next time you want to quote me.

Be nice

Riordon

Btw I think being with the B-team may be a blessing in disguise for him. There he is with a great coach, no pressure which means he is able to develop his game and try new things etc. Much better than being on the bench like Alena or go somewhere weird. Lots of our great players developed in the Spanish third division, remember guys.

Next summer he should come up and get plenty of playing time. Reminds me more of Sensi than Iniesta to be honest

A underrated trait of his is that he is a tireless runner and can press all game. Important traits in a midfielder

BBZ8800

How would you rate your favorite midfield who got blown out of the stadium defensively vs Roma and Liverpool by conceding 7 goals, and being lucky not to concede 12?

1. it is not my favorite midfield.
All I knew over 30 years is that 3 light midfielders don't work, except when everything aligns perfectly, aka once in 100 years.
So, even 3 workhorses had on paper higher chances for a win than 3 light midfielders.
But we learned that 3 workhorses is also not a good option.
So, what do we know now?
1) 3 light midfielders=shit
2) 3 workhorses=shit
Now, let's move on and find something in between which will maybe bring better results in Europe.
Simplified, some: 2+1 or 1+2 option.

** EV has made an U-turn under a pressure of fans, it seems.
And from his total-workhorse lineups where we missed creation, he turned to too possession based midfielders who lack in other areas.
We got some improvements and created a mess in several other areas.
Someone like Puig would only deepen our defensive problems in midfield.
Especially at Anfield.
Imagine tackles, bullying, corners and crosses.
It is very likely that we would lose way more than 0:4 last year.
You guys often think: what would happen with xxx-trio when we would have the ball? And you always try to find answers how to improve our game WITH THE BALL.
But, on the other hand, what would happen in other 45% or 50% of time when we wouldn't have the ball?
Improvement when you have the ball doesn't mean much if you lose an equal amount of quality once when you don't have the ball (defending and covering).

Your logic is the same: if Roberto sucks, then the OTHER option have to be good=Semedo.
What if BOTH options suck? And the answer is the 3rd option.

Or Suarez and Griezzman.
If Suarez is bad, that doesn't mean that Griezmann as a No9 is the answer.
They both suck and the answer is: an option No3.

Last edited:

Nello

All I knew over 30 years is that 3 light midfielders don't work, except when everything aligns perfectly, aka once in 100 years.
So, even 3 workhorses had on paper higher chances for a win than 3 light midfielders.
So, what do we know now?
2) 3 workhorses=shit
Now, let's move on and find something in between which will maybe bring better results in Europe.

And from his total-workhorse lineups where we missed creation, he turned to too possession based midfielders who lack in other areas.
Especially at Anfield.
You guys often think: what would happen with xxx-trio when we would have the ball? And you always try to find answers how to improve our game WITH THE BALL.
But, on the other hand, what would happen in other 45% or 50% of time when we wouldn't have the ball?
Improvement when you have the ball doesn't mean much if you lose an equal amount of quality once when you don't have the ball (defending and covering).

Your logic is the same: if Roberto sucks, then the OTHER option have to be good=Semedo.

Or Suarez and Griezzman.

I think our gameplan usually is to dominate the game. In that case we should have the ball 60-70% of the time, not 50 or 55% of the time, as you are portraying it.
Therefore I don't think it's entirely stupid to look at how we can improve our qualities with he ball. And if we are talking with the ball, I believe Puig might be able to offer some creativity, speed, ball retention and offensive qualities that Vidal, Rakitic or Busi can't offer in the same way.

Also to brand Frenkie as a possession based midfielder who lacks in other areas is a mistake.
Frenkie has consistently run the most of all our players in almost all our games, and has even played as a CB for Ajax.
He's arguably the most athletic player in the squad atm, and I'm curious; who would you rather have as DM when a top team like Liverpool suddenly intercepts the ball and starts running at our defense in a counter attack? Busi, Rakitic, Vidal or Frenkie? I would personally like to have Frenkie in that scenario.

So if we assume that Frenkie is just as good a workhorse as Busi, Rakitic or Vidal, then a Midfield trio consisting of Frenkie, Arthur and Puig would suit your 1+2 theory.
I think it would be interesting to try in an easy game.

Last edited:

Porque

At the very least we can try Puig in the last 20-30 against tired opposition as the most advanced of the midfield trio. Either to close games out through possession or to create openings when we need to circulate the ball quicker. I think he would manage to combine very well with the one touch passing of Messi.

Valverde is valuing his physical deficiencies too highly. He may be correct, but then if we don't even try him in the above scenario then we will never know if he can be a squad option.

Loan wise I read him linked to Las Palmas. I would prefer him tested at LaLiga if he were too go, but if its a 2-year deal conditional to Las Palmas getting promotion then it could be a wise move. Only issue is that despite Pepe Mel's attacking play, his side is quite a rigid 4231 so the spot will either be defensive midfield or attacking midfield. While we would ideally be grooming him for the duties in the space between.

Nello

At the very least we can try Puig in the last 20-30 against tired opposition as the most advanced of the midfield trio. Either to close games out through possession or to create openings when we need to circulate the ball quicker. I think he would manage to combine very well with the one touch passing of Messi.

Valverde is valuing his physical deficiencies too highly. He may be correct, but then if we don't even try him in the above scenario then we will never know if he can be a squad option.

Loan wise I read him linked to Las Palmas. I would prefer him tested at LaLiga if he were too go, but if its a 2-year deal conditional to Las Palmas getting promotion then it could be a wise move. Only issue is that despite Pepe Mel's attacking play, his side is quite a rigid 4231 so the spot will either be defensive midfield or attacking midfield. While we would ideally be grooming him for the duties in the space between.

I second this, would be a shame to never really test Puig in the first team before he's loaned out.

serghei

So, what do we know now?
2) 3 workhorses=shit

Especially at Anfield.

Or Suarez and Griezzman.

Midfield set-up is one of the areas where you have some point imo in your comments, in the sense that I too think 3 light and technical midfielders won't work 90% of the time without a genius manager. And genius managers are incredibly hard to come by. We're lucky if we find someone like Pep in the next 25 years. Liverpool needed 30-40 years to find someone like Klopp.

Imo, the best midfield trio for us starts with Frenkie de Jong at DM. No doubt about it. Perfect combo of movement, age, stamina, speed, passing, physicality and intelligence. Arthur Melo as CM and I'm not gonna get into the reasons why again, it's been said from both parties time and time again.

But the 3rd midfielder should indeed be the type of midfielder you like. Which is strong, box to box type, good at tackling, good at shooting, good in the air. About this part I totally agree.

If we add that 3rd midfielder we both agree should have those qualities, I can't understand what on earth you'd have against a 3 men midfield where 2 out of 3 players are physical beasts, and only 1 is normal in this area, and that 1 is one of the best players who can play with the ball under pressure and don't panic.

Even now, Arthur - De Jong - Vidal. 2 out of these 3 players are great physically. 1 is perfectly normal. Not worse than other players in similar teams, not better, according to the numbers.

Last edited:

Vilarrubi

Midfield set-up is one of the areas where you have some point imo in your comments, in the sense that I too think 3 light and technical midfielders won't work 90% of the time without a genius manager. And genius manager are incredibly hard to come by. We're lucky if we find someone like Pep in the next 25 years.

Imo, the best midfield trio for us is Frenkie de Jong at DM. No doubt about it. Perfect combo of movement, age, stamina, speed, passing, physicality and intelligence. Arthur Melo as CM and I'm not gonna get into the reasons why again, it's been said from both parties time and time again.

But the 3rd midfielder should indeed be the type of midfielder you like. Which is strong, box to box type, good at tackling, good at shooting, good in the air. About this part I totally agree.

The thing is I made a poll a while back about which midfield people would prefer. The combinations of Puig/Arthur/Alena took up around 8% of the votes.

So this theory that the forum wants a small technical La Masia midfield 3 is complete horseshit.

Home of Barca Fans