Mavericky Puig

Messigician

And still short best technical midfield ever didnt bring more then 2 cl-s in 6 years, why they were struggling with reams like chelsea, inter and atletico, teams that bullied barca players on the pitch?

All 3 were robberies we should have won. Inter problem was the 14 hour grueling bus ride more than anything.

Why not being up the times we were outplayed by teams without huge players like the 4-0 defeat to PSG and Bayern's dismantling of us

Andresito

Staff member
And still short best technical midfield ever didnt bring more then 2 cl-s in 6 years, why they were struggling with reams like chelsea, inter and atletico, teams that bullied barca players on the pitch? every set piece, corner against barca was nerve breaking for fans

Small margins. Real Madrid happened to have them on their side these last years.

With Pep, we didn't. We were the best team in Europe during those years and went out in the semis due to very small details.

vlad

Small margins. Real Madrid happened to have them on their side these last years.

With Pep, we didn't. We were the best team in Europe during those years and went out in the semis due to very small details.

Pep's barca didnt have enough weapon to win CL 2 time in a row, thats the only truth

Andresito

Staff member
Pep's barca didnt have enough weapon to win CL 2 time in a row, thats the only truth

I disagree. We could and should have beaten both Chelsea and Inter.

We had the chances but couldn't finish. And Inter for example scored at least one offside goal.

So it's not a question about physical/technical players. It's about luck in this case.

We were the best team but didn't win CL. Madrid weren't the best team but still won the CL.
Had these scenarios been repeated 10 times, Barca would have won a lot more times than Madrid.

George_Costanza

And still short best technical midfield ever didnt bring more then 2 cl-s in 6 years, why they were struggling with reams like chelsea, inter and atletico, teams that bullied barca players on the pitch? every set piece, corner against barca was nerve breaking for fans

A team that wins the Champion League doesn't necessarily mean they are the best team in the world for that year unless they win the domestic title as well. If the UCL winner doesn't do the double they're not even regarded as the best team in their country. Those years that Barcelona won the UCL titles, they won the league too. Can't say the same about Real Madrid except for 2016/17 season.

Winning a UCL without winning the league might involve some elements of luck i.e favorable draws, favorable knockout round match paths, lucky goals/breaks/calls, injuries etc. .

vlad

A team that wins the Champion League doesn't necessarily mean they are the best team in the world for that year unless they win the domestic title as well. If the UCL winner doesn't do the double they're not even regarded as the best team in their country. Those years that Barcelona won the UCL titles, they won the league too. Can't say the same about Real Madrid except for 2016/17 season.

Winning a UCL without winning the league might involve some elements of luck i.e favorable draws, favorable knockout round match paths, lucky goals/breaks/calls, injuries etc. .

You bave a point, but la liga during pep period wasnt such a hard task, atletico was far from top team, only madrid which became competent since mourinho was in charge, so barca had it easy there and could focus more on CL, and i wouldnt use luck as a excuse why barca didnt do something similar to what madrid did in last years ,considering how quality was that team, and still they were so dependable on luck almost every season except in 2011 which was also most dominant

BBZ8800

During Pep's days, there weren't as many thugs teams as today.

Juve has just returned from Seria B and didn't play in a CL.
Simeone wasn't at Atletico yet.
Atletico sucked.
Psg was a no name team back then.
Bayern had the worst era in the last 20 years.
Liverpool... Who?

Who were big teams then?
= light, technical teams: Barca, Real, Man Utd, Arsenal, Lyon, Porto, Roma

Basically, the only thug teams were Inter and Chelsea.
And we managed to lose to both in 2010 and 2012, and refs helped us in 2009' against Chelsea.

So, basically, Barca didn't have an answer to physical&technical teams neither during Pep nor after him (Bayern, Atletico, Atletico, Juve, Roma).

What a shocking information.
This is such a surprise, I have never seen it coming...

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

Chelsea 2012 didn't really outthug us, they were just luckiest of shits that they. Completely run off the field, but somehow managed to survive by our grace of not finishing gazzilion goal chances. Reminded me the catastrophy of Netherlands-italy in Euro2000. Unfair. Inter was a fair duel and they were better in the end by slight margin and a bit of luck in cancelled goal so stop muddling the water. Outbullied my ass. yes, it was tougher than against MU, which was like playing against amateurs.
As for later years, i think after 2012 complacency and decline just kicked in and till this day we haven't had a manager that would invigorate the team. The slow and lazy approach is just what current team is capable of with old and tired players in key positions. I don't mind one guy like Vidal on the team, it's okay, but the core of players need still be in the vain of Puig not the other way around.
Or let's just recruit pub bouncers, who play on sunday league and we're set for 5 straight Cls.:)

fergus90

During Pep's days, there weren't as many thugs teams as today.

Juve has just returned from Seria B and didn't play in a CL.
Simeone wasn't at Atletico yet.
Atletico sucked.
Psg was a no name team back then.
Liverpool... Who?

Who were big teams then?
= light, technical teams: Barca, Real, Man Utd, Arsenal, Lyon, Porto, Roma

Basically, the only thug teams were Inter and Chelsea.
And we managed to lose to both in 2010 and 2012, and refs helped us in 2009' against Chelsea.

So, basically, Barca didn't have an answer to physical&technical teams neither during Pep nor after him (Bayern, Atletico, Atletico, Juve, Roma).

What a shocking information.
This is such a surprise, I have never seen it coming...

We absolutely battered Chelsea in 11/12 at the Camp Nou, luck just wasn't there that night. The inter game was close, they defended for their lives in the second leg and really clung on for the win. I'm not quite sure what this "thug" idea is all about. Sure you need to players with physicality, it is a physical game after all however Chelsea only managed 1 CL in their history where as we've had 4 wins and got close on 2 others in the last 11 years.

Peps biggest downfall is they started trying to create the perfect goal, pass pass pass to death without taking shots. During his first two seasons we had Xavi,Iniesta etc mixed with some force like Henry and Eto'o. That was the perfect blend as Henry & Eto'o were straight killers in front of goal.

Last edited:

Porque

Worst era of Bayern Munich. CL finalist in 2011/2012 (Peps last season), Winners the following season 2012/2013.

= light, technical teams: Barca, Real, Man Utd, Arsenal, Lyon, Porto, Roma.

Light Technical teams... like the Butchers of Jose Mourinho's Madrid.

BBZ the revisionist at it again.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans