Mavericky Puig

Raketa10

I see this cult of small physique won't make it in a modern football started by BBZ and he made some followers here. This is not contact sports such as Rugby, American football or even basketball so physique is not what makes a footballer better in most positions. When Barcelona was dominating Europe between 2008-2014, we had one of the shortest team in whole Europe. Also looking at the best players in the history, Messi is 5'7, Maradona 5'5 and Pele 5'8, it's a physics reason why a shorter player is better in the midfield and even some forward positions. The short players can change directions much faster than tall ones, and they have better control over their limbs. Lower center of gravity allows quick rotation that makes shorter best and fastest dribblers. The myth of ubermensch has to end really in this forum. We should look for tall players for Goalkeeper position because he must cover as much physical area as possible, and it can help if defenders tower over their opponents too.

Lol this reminds me of concerns about Messi not making it because of his physique.. I believe that Puig will make it at Barca, at least as a rotation option.

Some of you don't get it do you? FFS it's not only about his height but his physical appearance! Messi has more muscles in his left leg than Puig on his entire body! Even Denis looks like a fucking Terminator in comparison to Puig.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

I see this cult of small physique won't make it in a modern football started by BBZ and he made some followers here.

I have talked about players physique as a topic even before BBZ registered for this forum , but thanks for entertaining theory.
And for the record, Puig is the only player I remember that I've doubted his physique

This is not contact sports such as Rugby, American football or even basketball so physique is not what makes a footballer better in most positions.

Football is a contact sport, that is a fact. Way more than basketball btw where you can't even touch someone this days.

When Barcelona was dominating Europe between 2008-2014, we had one of the shortest team in whole Europe.

We dominated football between 2008 & 2011 and that was 7 years ago which is quit sometime actually, and we had plenty of physical players in that team. Abidal,Puyol,Pique & Yaya/Busquets,Henry,Eto, all of them were neither short (actually tall in some cases) and very strong and overall athletic in most cases. Same for many bench players like Gudjohnsen and keita

Also looking at the best players in the history, Messi is 5'7, Maradona 5'5 and Pele 5'8, it's a physics reason why a shorter player is better in the midfield and even some forward positions.

Actually, there is more players who have won ballon who were above 175cm than those who were below 170cm , Beckenbauer, Zidane,Crujif, Cr7 for example were all above 180 actually. And just for the record, average male height is 170cm so Messi isn't actually a short person. Though he is short in Europe and US for sure.
And again,if you dig deeper you will always see that those players were exceptions actually, many positions in football are dominated by taller players, and most shorter guys usually are wingers, fullbacks or midfielders.

it's a physics reason why a shorter player is better in the midfield and even some forward positions. The short players can change directions much faster than tall ones, and they have better control over their limbs. Lower center of gravity allows quick rotation that makes shorter best and fastest dribblers. The myth of ubermensch has to end really in this forum. We should look for tall players for Goalkeeper position because he must cover as much physical area as possible, and it can help if defenders tower over their opponents too.

And here where you are wrong, I didn't actually pointed to his height, his listed height is fine (though plenty listed height of La Masia kids was wrong and corrected later, but will trust them in this one) , almost same height as Messi,Xavi,Iniesta and taller than Verratti.
But he has small frame and very lean body with very little muscle mass, he is benefiting from lower point of gravity to keep his balance but without muscles he will struggle in higher level, with both playing and staying healthy.
Reaching Barca level is difficult for any player even talented one, and physique is actually challenge for many players too, it was challenge for Iniesta and Messi and both had to build a very strong body, Messi had to learn to deal with it after 3 years with consistent injuries early in his career, his superb talent, understanding and work ethic all helped him.
Again, it won't be easy for him, it will be actually extra difficult. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have a chance

ini4ever

Even Denis looks like a fucking Terminator in comparison to Puig.

Not really lol, His body type is likes of Iniesta/Modric and they succeed. Obviously it doesn't mean he's not needed to bulk a little bit up but as Iniesta could survive this kid would too.

Joan

Some of you don't get it do you? FFS it's not only about his height but his physical appearance! Messi has more muscles in his left leg than Puig on his entire body! Even Denis looks like a fucking Terminator in comparison to Puig.

This, Messi's short, but he's strong as fuck. It's very hard to bring him down. Puig's case is completely different.

George_Costanza

This, Messi's short, but he's strong as fuck. It's very hard to bring him down. Puig's case is completely different.

No! Since some of you joined the Barca's wagon post-Rijkaard era, let me tell you how Messi started. Messi is short and was physically weak! I think he might have been even weaker than Riqui at his age. We thought and argued in football forums that he has the potential to be a great player but his physiques and limits that come with such weak physiques might cost him. You see Joan Laporta, a person can be ectomorph but still can pack muscles and strength as he grows older just like Messi. FYI, I wasn't talking about height only because you can't do anything to change that but weak physique can be changed. And we have to distinguish between weak physique player and injury prone player. A player can be strong and big but might have Low bone mass which increases the risk for fractures.

I'm 5'11 and was around 60kg/135lbs skinny ecto in high school and now I weight 89/kg/195lbs of muscle.

Another matter why our midfield shouldn't necessarily be ubermensch is the system we play. Like I mentioned before shorter players have a lower center of gravity, which provides great stability, support, and more durability, add to that superior technical skills (ball and passing skills) would make our players execute that crisp passing around their ever-taller opponents. The best technical midfielders the past decade have been of average physique and an average height of 5'7/170m.

Barcelona pride itself on producing players that possess creativity, technical abilities, and positional sense. What you, BBZ and others suggest to abanded this tradition or make it of low-priority and opt for stronger larger players. Next, we know, all admission to La Masia should go under rigorous admission based on height, BMI and muscle density, not talent.

Gnidrologist

This is my dream team.:lol:
ShortXI.jpg

Sultan

Nosce te ipsum
Just read there were 76,000 spectators at the camp yesterday? Anything special going on in the city? I doubt that's a normal attendance for Cdr match this early.

Leo_Messi

It's difficult not to be confident on his behalf. The talent, bravery and composure of this kid should be evident for everyone.

If it was up to me Wednesday's Copa game would not be Puiq's last first team appearance this season. Far from it. I don't see why he should not be given more chances for the remainder of the season. There is no reason for the likes of Rakitic to be playing constantly. Or Busquets for that matter. Nor for the likes of Denis Suárez (luckily he has played a combined total of 100 minutes this season) to take game time from Puig and Aleñà. Hopefully Valverde will realize this. At least he should. Even more so after Rafinha's season ending injury.

I have watched many of the B-team's games this season and Puig is routinely one of the best performers for the team if not the best performer (at least when it comes to our midfielders). Puig is wasting his time in the Segunda División B. He is too good. The only thing that he gains from such games is continuous playing time, which should not be underestimated by any accounts, but I do feel that Valverde should be more brave and give Puig the required first-team opportunities this season. He is not 16 years old but 19.5 years and there are plenty of games left this season for him to feature in and do well in.

Last edited:

Raketa10

Not really lol, His body type is likes of Iniesta/Modric and they succeed. Obviously it doesn't mean he's not needed to bulk a little bit up but as Iniesta could survive this kid would too.

Modric is much stronger than Puig. Puig needs to gain some muscles ASAP.

vlad

I see this cult of small physique won't make it in a modern football started by BBZ and he made some followers here. This is not contact sports such as Rugby, American football or even basketball so physique is not what makes a footballer better in most positions. When Barcelona was dominating Europe between 2008-2014, we had one of the shortest team in whole Europe. Also looking at the best players in the history, Messi is 5'7, Maradona 5'5 and Pele 5'8, it's a physics reason why a shorter player is better in the midfield and even some forward positions. The short players can change directions much faster than tall ones, and they have better control over their limbs. Lower center of gravity allows quick rotation that makes shorter best and fastest dribblers. The myth of ubermensch has to end really in this forum. We should look for tall players for Goalkeeper position because he must cover as much physical area as possible, and it can help if defenders tower over their opponents too.

And still short best technical midfield ever didnt bring more then 2 cl-s in 6 years, why they were struggling with reams like chelsea, inter and atletico, teams that bullied barca players on the pitch? every set piece, corner against barca was nerve breaking for fans

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans