Mavericky Puig

God Serena

Do you really think that? I don't think Alena's anything like a stereotypical Barca midfielder. And I'm not doing a BBZ here (tall not short, strong not weak, not a schoolboy etc.). He's far more direct than a classic Barca CM. Don't think he's suited for our slow build up all that well. But could thrive in a transition orriented side. He can hopefully adapt withour sacrifizing his main traits (dribbling, scoring, creation from transition). On the other hand, I can easily see Puig in our midfield three. Imo, I'd still go for Alena talent wise if it was between the two.

Alena's main quality imo is his passing and decision making, the two most important traits needed for a Barca midfielder. Him being more attacking minded or liking to dribble isn't as important as his ability to maintain possession with smart decision making and drive our play forward. At this point the speed of play is more defined by the manager than what is typical for a Barca CM/AM.

Riqui on the other hand is far more flashy. His dribbling and general skills are through the roof and his passing is (At least imo) not on that same level. I know it's popular for people to wank off to the Iniesta comparisons, but Alena is far more similar to Iniesta, while I'd say Riqui is actually more akin to Coutinho, as far as style of play is concerned.

I can easily see either one fitting into our midfield three, but really I see them playing the same position, with the Controller/Workhorse archetype filling the right side. Just as it is now, Alena stands out as the best midfield talent we've had since Thiago, and Puig has quite a way to go before he's on that level. I'd be surprised to see Puig put up the numbers Alena did last season and that's even with him playing in a lower division, with an actually competent manager. But we'll have to wait and see on that.

Gnidrologist

I think his point is that Rakitic is simply unable to play positively most of the time, moving the ball forward, while this kid does it with ease.

RMU ReBorn

I think his point is that Rakitic is simply unable to play positively most of the time, moving the ball forward, while this kid does it with ease.
Still how did he managed to give more key passes , chances created , forward passes than Busi last season ? . few Peeps watch football with biased eyes that they refuse to see what they don't want . Simple . Anyway Rakitic's job is to break the attacks of opponents , defend and cover for the slow players in our attack and he has been doing that . Puig can't do that and you can't have a midifeld having all the players incapable of doing the dirty job of running up and down

Joan

Alena's main quality imo is his passing and decision making, the two most important traits needed for a Barca midfielder. Him being more attacking minded or liking to dribble isn't as important as his ability to maintain possession with smart decision making and drive our play forward. At this point the speed of play is more defined by the manager than what is typical for a Barca CM/AM.

Riqui on the other hand is far more flashy. His dribbling and general skills are through the roof and his passing is (At least imo) not on that same level. I know it's popular for people to wank off to the Iniesta comparisons, but Alena is far more similar to Iniesta, while I'd say Riqui is actually more akin to Coutinho, as far as style of play is concerned.

I can easily see either one fitting into our midfield three, but really I see them playing the same position, with the Controller/Workhorse archetype filling the right side. Just as it is now, Alena stands out as the best midfield talent we've had since Thiago, and Puig has quite a way to go before he's on that level. I'd be surprised to see Puig put up the numbers Alena did last season and that's even with him playing in a lower division, with an actually competent manager. But we'll have to wait and see on that.
I see it differently. Alena's passing is very good but as I said I see him as a more direct player. Not someone who'll pass the ball until the safe opportunity arises. I mean, maybe he will because he'll adapt to the team but I'd guess he'd rather try to dribble past opposition trying to create space. As he did numerous times with the B team. Puig on the other hand is more like a stereotypical Barca CM imo.

Yeah, Puig's passing can be off, but I'd attribute it to him being an inexperienced player. Some of his passes need to be stronger for instance. Will come with time. I don't think Alena's dribbling is any worse, I clearly remember some impressive dribbles last season (like that solo goal for example). What is sometimes off is his first touch, can work on that certainly.

I'm pretty sure Puig won't have numbers close to Alena's since he's a different type of a player. Not as direct nor is his finishing as good. Has impressive mentality though. What can I say, hopefully both will come good for us, but if I had to, would put my money on Alena.

God Serena

I see it differently. Alena's passing is very good but as I said I see him as a more direct player. Not someone who'll pass the ball until the safe opportunity arises. I mean, maybe he will because he'll adapt to the team but I'd guess he'd rather try to dribble past opposition trying to create space. As he did numerous times with the B team. Puig on the other hand is more like a stereotypical Barca CM imo.

Yeah, Puig's passing can be off, but I'd attribute it to him being an inexperienced player. Some of his passes need to be stronger for instance. Will come with time. I don't think Alena's dribbling is any worse, I clearly remember some impressive dribbles last season (like that solo goal for example). What is sometimes off is his first touch, can work on that certainly.

I'm pretty sure Puig won't have numbers close to Alena's since he's a different type of a player. Not as direct nor is his finishing as good. Has impressive mentality though. What can I say, hopefully both will come good for us, but if I had to, would put my money on Alena.

I don't really see what traits Puig has that makes him more of a stereotypical CM for Barca than Alena. His passing and game intelligence are both lower, but he makes up for it by being some kind of technical wonderkid. The reason so many of these plebes who have only seen both players when playing pre-season or charity minutes with the first team seem to say such rubbish like "Puig is more special than Alena" is because of this very reason. If Alena was flicking the ball over players and dribbling mazes through people in his pre-season games he'd have the same hype, but he's not that type of midfielder, despite ironically being the more direct of the two. Puig tends to put his head down and focus on the ball a lot, a trait common with young players who are fully committed to their ball skills. Alena is more direct, there's no denying that, but his overall midfield play is more conductive to how a Barca midfielder should operate. The way his more direct style has been subdued when he makes first team appearances shows he's capable of playing both roles.

Both coming good for us would be incredible for our future, but if given even a semi-decent amount of time to develop (Imagine if he had half as much time as Gomes before being written off as a failure) he'll almost certainly become an important player for us, while Riqui could very well end up being just another incredibly talented kid who didn't work out.

This post deserves to be up there with most stupid one i have ever seen on this forum. Anyone who gives a cute pass is better than Rakitic :lol: . You don't have slightest of idea about the position in which Rakitic plays and the role he has been instructed to do . Jees such delusion . Someone who showed nerves to take his countrys two significant and hsitoric penaltys doesn't have balls. Oh boy keep going

Stick to cricket. And learn to write, you can't be taken seriously with . dots . everywhere .

Last edited:

RMU ReBorn

Stick to cricket. And learn to write, you can't be taken seriously with . dots . everywhere .
Yeah that's what you can do . You won't even spell one word in my language but atleast i can stick together few dots in english . Scumbags like you are the reason why condom factorys produce tons of condoms every year

Last edited:

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
I don't really see what traits Puig has that makes him more of a stereotypical CM for Barca than Alena. His passing and game intelligence are both lower, but he makes up for it by being some kind of technical wonderkid. The reason so many of these plebes who have only seen both players when playing pre-season or charity minutes with the first team seem to say such rubbish like "Puig is more special than Alena" is because of this very reason. If Alena was flicking the ball over players and dribbling mazes through people in his pre-season games he'd have the same hype, but he's not that type of midfielder, despite ironically being the more direct of the two. Puig tends to put his head down and focus on the ball a lot, a trait common with young players who are fully committed to their ball skills. Alena is more direct, there's no denying that, but his overall midfield play is more conductive to how a Barca midfielder should operate. The way his more direct style has been subdued when he makes first team appearances shows he's capable of playing both roles.

Both coming good for us would be incredible for our future, but if given even a semi-decent amount of time to develop (Imagine if he had half as much time as Gomes before being written off as a failure) he'll almost certainly become an important player for us, while Riqui could very well end up being just another incredibly talented kid who didn't work out.

You're right, I have seen both Alena and Puig playing for the first team only bar some youth CL compilations. I was never that impressed with Alena, he does not pass the "eye test" for now, whereas Puig has impressed me since the first time I looked at him. If you are right and Alena is the bigger talent, okay. I am sceptical about him though, his first touch seems to be mediocre for the first team and he really has not shown anything remarkable yet. Not saying that Puig has shown something amazing or that he is a generational talent. It is too early to tell.

Gnidrologist

No need use loaded terms like 'generational talent' whatever that means, but Puig is sooo comfortable with the ball even against quite formidable opponents even in his first matches for first team, i've never seen such confidence since Busquets appeared on the radar. Also don't understand what's "flashy" about him, except maybe that 'xavi turn' hi did at one point, which he seems to be quite good at to get away from physically overwhelming pressing. What i like the most is the weight, angle and precision in short passing. And those are not just sideways passes what you would expect from a Barca greenhorn. Need serious improvements in mid/long range passing.

One other thing that is most impressive fro such a scrawny little git is how he hesitates and anticipates movement of both opponents and teammate. S.Roberto at that age would quickly pass the ball somewhere safe, back or sideways. Also off the ball movement and pressing.
With this kid you see he's very focused and aware of what's going on around on tries to play positively, whenever he can. No shyness at all and that's a great thing. Precision and consistency will come in time. Don't understand why he is being compared more with Iniesta. He clearly gets his cues from Xavi, in his play style and main traits at least.

Last edited:

God Serena

STiCk tO CRicKet.

Get out of here with that bullshit.

I'll probably get called a piece of shit again for pointing this out, but that guy only has 3 posts and he's in here slinging insults to people like he's part of this community or something.

I genuinely believe such posters should just crawl back into the hole from whence they came.

Joan

I'll probably get called a piece of shit again for pointing this out, but that guy only has 3 posts and he's in here slinging insults to people like he's part of this community or something.

I genuinely believe such posters should just crawl back into the hole from whence they came.

Why would you be called a piece of shit for pointing this out? Feel majority thinks the same.

God Serena

Why would you be called a piece of shit for pointing this out? Feel majority thinks the same.

Every single time I point this out I get multiple people flipping out on me for daring to make such a comment.

If this was in the main players section my mentions would be blowing up :lol:

CatalinR10

piece of shit

:coffee:

Home of Barca Fans