Mavericky Puig

Bobo32

You said when??? Where???
Not here obviously, I'm newly regged. To my mates, in 2004.
I also understood Busquets and Thiago the first game I saw them play, and I understood early that Gio Dos Santos, Deulofeu, Munir and a few other 'cracks' would never make it.

Bobo32

Might be Xavi.

Says Iniesta is world class In 2004. Says Puig is top 5 midfielder. Says he refuses to pass to Van Bommel.
Learning arabic.

Checks out.

I often agree with Xavi. I didn't hear these quotes from him, but I would expect that these would be his thoughts.
I have no clue what you get arabic from though, and I don't know anything about the other nicks, I'm completely new to this site.

fergus90

I often agree with Xavi. I didn't hear these quotes from him, but I would expect that these would be his thoughts.
I have no clue what you get arabic from though, and I don't know anything about the other nicks, I'm completely new to this site.

Completely unrelated but are you a big Christian Vieri fan? His nickname being Bobo and wearing the 32 of course?

TRY_Aze

Koeman: "Riqui did well, especially when playing through the lines. We made changes to freshen things up."

Koeman: "I think both Trinc?o and Riqui have been good, they've done a good job, although the pitch wasn't in the best condition for them."

I told you. Also Sofascore rated him high after Messi and Frankie

Joan

Very different opinion:
Firstly, I don't think Puig is that flashy at all.
His positional sense is close to 100% to me; pause the game, and you will see him positioned perfectly between the lines, between the lanes, at all times. He knows when to go forward and when to go towards the ball, nice timing on this. He helps his team mates.
He also knows what's around him, when he can take one, two or more touches. He can solve situations through easy passes, but he can also find team mates between the lines or behind the defence.
He is very effortless in his play, wants the ball often, but keeps out of other players spaces.

Pedri often recieves the ball in tight spaces with no way out, forced to play it backwards or to try some crazy dribble. Pedri is more flashy, but less good as a midfielder for a team that tries to control the game.

Yeah, very different. Some nice moves between the lines, but think there's more of what you'd like to see. I don't think he feels the game all that much and often rushes forward leaving the position. That verticality and hunger for the ball make him look flashy, running past players too. Very erratic and not in a good way.

Also, opponents left him tons of space between the lines today which would suit him in theory. Shame he didn't do much with it.

Since you talk about Pedri, think his plays help his teammates more as he's much more mature. Finds himself in better positions to make final passes and does work hard the right way. Amazing player, truly.

Bobo32

Completely unrelated but are you a big Christian Vieri fan? His nickname being Bobo and wearing the 32 of course?
Well spotted!
Yeah, very different. Some nice moves between the lines, but think there's more of what you'd like to see. I don't think he feels the game all that much and often rushes forward leaving the position. That verticality and hunger for the ball make him look flashy, running past players too. Very erratic and not in a good way.

Also, opponents left him tons of space between the lines today which would suit him in theory. Shame he didn't do much with it.

Since you talk about Pedri, think his plays help his teammates more as he's much more mature. Finds himself in better positions to make final passes and does work hard the right way. Amazing player, truly.
Well we see things differently then.
I have put some small thoughts in the Pedri thread, but I don't feel I have the full view of him as a player yet. He has also played mostly as a #10 which is a totaly different position... I like Pedri and I give him time, but I am not yet sold on him.
And Puig I didn't see more than what he has played with the A team, so it's not that many minutes, maybe my judgement is totally wrong. I write what I see and I see one of the best midfielders in the world, even at this stage.

Of course Puig will need playing time in the right system to succeed. As did Busquets, was it not for Pep he would probably be playing his whole carreer in a Rayo style team, almost semi-professionally.

Joan

Let's see what happens. I certainly hope he proves me wrong and establishes himself as a decent player, leave alone one among the best.

BusiTheKing

Better than Pedri today for what it's worth.

I will take the player that offers himself in difficult situations yet fails over the player that doesn't offer himself and therefore doesn't give the ball away.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Very different opinion:
Firstly, I don't think Puig is that flashy at all.
His positional sense is close to 100% to me; pause the game, and you will see him positioned perfectly between the lines, between the lanes, at all times. He knows when to go forward and when to go towards the ball, nice timing on this. He helps his team mates.
He also knows what's around him, when he can take one, two or more touches. He can solve situations through easy passes, but he can also find team mates between the lines or behind the defence.
He is very effortless in his play, wants the ball often, but keeps out of other players spaces.

Pedri often recieves the ball in tight spaces with no way out, forced to play it backwards or to try some crazy dribble. Pedri is more flashy, but less good as a midfielder for a team that tries to control the game.

Absolutely. He understands positional play naturally, which is normal coming out of the cantera

The other aspect of his game that is quite underrated is his defensive pressure and winning balls back deep in the other half to trigger opportunities. I thought he was very good on the night and even inside the first 5 minutes it was plainly obvious he deserves far more minutes than he has gotten this season. He is a line breaker that we simply do not have in the squad from midfield outside of Busquets - except he actually has the pace & directness to get ahead of his marker that Sergio does not

Andresito

Staff member
His ball control is of very high class. He's like a vacuum when receiving fairly hard passes from backline and Busi.

As I've said before he's not a bad backup to have for Pedri. Should be used consistently. Not very hopeful of him becoming an undisputed starter. But he's a canterano who can help the team, which is great to have.

FinBarcelonafan

His ball control is of very high class. He's like a vacuum when receiving fairly hard passes from backline and Busi.

As I've said before he's not a bad backup to have for Pedri. Should be used consistently. Not very hopeful of him becoming an undisputed starter. But he's a canterano who can help the team, which is great to have.

Exactly. I think he works well as a sub. (As we have seen). We don't have too many good subs.

Bobo32

Absolutely. He understands positional play naturally, which is normal coming out of the cantera

The other aspect of his game that is quite underrated is his defensive pressure and winning balls back deep in the other half to trigger opportunities. I thought he was very good on the night and even inside the first 5 minutes it was plainly obvious he deserves far more minutes than he has gotten this season. He is a line breaker that we simply do not have in the squad from midfield outside of Busquets - except he actually has the pace & directness to get ahead of his marker that Sergio does not
Yeah, this is perhaps his greatest addition to the current Barcelona team, he is very intense and smart in his pressing - crucial for the way Barcelona needs to play but very much lacking in most players. He reminds me a bit of Pedro in the way that he press.
Exactly. I think he works well as a sub. (As we have seen). We don't have too many good subs.
He does work well as a sub.
I personally think he should be the first on the sheet after Busquets and Ter Stegen, but if Koeman can use him as Trincao, giving him the last 30 every game, I'd be pretty satisfied with that as well, until a greater coach arrives.

JamDav1982

Running out from midfield to close down defenders and GKs that will never get near is not great defensive pressure. It looks good but is largely pointless.

Not saying it is why Puig does it but some players do that type of thing knowing some fans lap it up and get credit for it when doesnt achieve much. It is not 'smart' pressing when does that.

Pedri for me is better at that aspect as well as on ball.

Pedri wont be coming off after an hour every game so unlikely Puig is getting those minutes if game still on line.

Bobo32

Would be great to see a stat for his interceptions, I'd bet his number per minute outclasses the rest of the team, just as his key passes, total passes etc. does.
That is a different part of the game than pure 'pressing', but as he is so successful when he gets close to the ball, he can press more and still be useful, compared to other players.

I am not usually a fan of 'Robertson' style rushes to press either, even if it sends a good signal for the Barcelona team of the latest years, but I don't see Puig running meaninglessly, he is smart in his movements.

Home of Barca Fans