Is Leo Messi the greatest sportsman of all time do you think?

Is Messi the greatest sportsman of all time?

• Yes

Votes: 47 60.3%
  • No

Votes: 31 39.7%

• Total voters

Messi

Many boxing experts don't even rate Ali as the best boxer of all time

That is true. But Ali Said he was the greatest so it must be true. Fact is he was out boxed in 2 of 3 of the famous matches against Joe Frasier. BTW. talking about the greatest boxers is really frustrating because the system of several World Championships even within one weight class allows boxers to avoid meeting those they are afraid of loosing against. On top of that comes the different weight classes, so comparing across weight classes will always be a matter of "experts" having opinions.

Messi

BTW. i voted yes because I can't think of anyone that i would rate higher but ofcource it is so much a matter of which criteria you rate. For example there are people in smaller sports, who completely changed the way those sports would look. Also there could be someone I forgot or dont know about. This poll should not be taken too seriously

Kerrybai

He's not even the greatest Argentine footballer of all time let alone the greatest sportsman of all time.

P.s. no footballer not Pele not Maradona not Messi can touch Muhammad Ali. Simple as that.

That subjective and your opinion. To many people including myself he is the best footballer of all time, and to compare a footballer with a boxer is ridiculous. Simple as that.

Take away Maradonas world cup and Messi wipes the floor with him. The Maradona at Napoli myth ( i.e. carrying the team by himself ) has been totally refuted as well.

Whether or not he is the greatest sportsman of all time will never be known and its a pointless thing to even debate, who is to say that Michael Jordan, or Ali , or Messi or Pele etc is the greatest of all time? Can you list your criteria that makes Ali a better sportman than Tiger woods or Usain Bolt?

Last edited:

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
That subjective and your opinion. To many people including myself he is the best footballer of all time, and to compare a footballer with a boxer is ridiculous. Simple as that.

Take away Maradonas world cup and Messi wipes the floor with him. The Maradona at Napoli myth ( i.e. carrying the team by himself ) has been totally refuted as well.

Whether or not he is the greatest sportsman of all time will never be known and its a pointless thing to even debate, who is to say that Michael Jordan, or Ali , or Messi or Pele etc is the greatest of all time? Can you list your criteria that makes Ali a better sportman than Tiger woods or Usain Bolt?

He will only be the greatest sportsman if he gets transferred to Chelsea

Dan1983

Prediction champion 2012-2013
He is my personal favourite sportsman along with Roger Federer. But I think the greatest sportsman was Muhammad Ali.

Dan1983

Prediction champion 2012-2013
That is true. But Ali Said he was the greatest so it must be true. Fact is he was out boxed in 2 of 3 of the famous matches against Joe Frasier. BTW. talking about the greatest boxers is really frustrating because the system of several World Championships even within one weight class allows boxers to avoid meeting those they are afraid of loosing against. On top of that comes the different weight classes, so comparing across weight classes will always be a matter of "experts" having opinions.
Ali said he was the greatest, but he was referring to Heavyweights. Ali himself and many many others all say that Sugar Ray Robinson was the greatest boxer of all time.

blaugrana1987

Messi is GOAT, no doubt about that. I've seen statistical comparison between Messi, Pele and Maradona where Pele and Messi came clearly on top. What surprised writer was how good was Pele, having more G+A per game then Messi. But what surprised me is how close Messi was to him on that one considering average goals scored in 60th were in 5+ figures, almost twice they are now.

Pele also tried twice less dribbles per game (even though he had more space to do so and lighter markers), he had lower succession rate as well. All of that in era where on average more dribbles were attempted, and more dribbles were successful. Which tells us, along with scoresheets being so big, that defending at that time wasn't players forte yet Pele is still not as good as Leo here. Pele was worse passer, and he passed the ball less then Messi does. He was better shooter inside box, and worse outside though he shot more from outside then Messi. On average Messi was best shooter of the 3, while also having FAR less space to shoot or think about shooting as well.

Finally, Messi is still only 28 and has eclipsed both in titles won. He is in for another treble, has a chance at another Copa this year and another WC. World where Messi is not GOAT frankly doesn't exist.

This is basically comparison like Wilt vs Jordan, where Messi is FAR bigger anomaly then Jordan was in his era, and one that is on equal footing with Pele who played in time when the things Messi is doing now were much easier to do.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans