Everything you would ever need to know about penalties in la liga

Xtroverto

Thanks to Vidal Viñarás de Blas writing this exhaustive paper on every penalty in the history of la liga, we now have the data that definitely show how Real Madrid has been favoured in this regard almost constantly throughout the history of the Spanish league. Especially noteworthy are the stats for the Madrid years 1950-1990 when Real Madrid escentially ran the referee designation board and where the data show a ridiculous disparage of favours towards los Blancos. In the 1950s Real Madrid penalty data show 54 penalties awarded and 17 against while FC Barcelona got 41 penalties awarded and 19 against, 1960s is were the real farce begin, RM 41-17 and FCB 26-27, no wonder they won all the leagues, it is just like Carles Rexach said to Tata Martino, Real Madrid were handed penalties left and right while FCB were ***** by the referees. The 1980s were also totally ridiculous, RM 78-37 and FCB 69-65.

Here is the link, the text is in Spanish but the data is easy to understand even if you don't read a word of Spanish.

http://www.cihefe.es/cuadernosdefutbol/2015/12/los-6-514-penaltys-de-la-historia-de-la-liga/

Last edited:

Xtroverto

You would need to check which penalties were correctly given and which not. Pure numbers do not tell the whole story.

In an idealistic world yes, but this is Spain, one of the most corrupt countries in Europe for most of the 20th century, and especially during the fascist dictatorship.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
I know and I think it was obvious how RM has been pushed for decades due to politic reasons and the influence they have today but in this case a majority of pens could have been given correctly. I mean who knows.

Xtroverto

I know and I think it was obvious how RM has been pushed for decades due to politic reasons and the influence they have today but in this case a majority of pens could have been given correctly. I mean who knows.

The players that faced Real Madrid in those years all say the same, regardless if they are from FC Barcelona, Real Zaragoza, Valencia, Athletic Bilbao or any other team. Their statements combined with the data is quite compelling evidence of what was going on, i just wished someone did a similar job on all the former players denoucing the refereeing in those years, because there are countless.

these numbers tell half the story.

The other half -case by case- we can forget about. Respect to anyone willing to go through with this :lol:

pacp_96

Chief Of Footballing Matters
[MENTION=17059]Blaugrana Bull[/MENTION] is spot on. First you'd have to see which pens were correctly given and which weren't. Main reason why I don't like it when people complain when teams get loads of pens. It all depends on if they were the correct calls or not.

So we shouldn't post the figures unless we go through every penalty starting in the seventies ? :lol:
The numbers speak for themselves, it does't mean that every single extra penalty RM got was bogus, but many of them certainly were and we can see that what some may call a recent trend is actually old.

Kerrybai

[MENTION=17059]Blaugrana Bull[/MENTION] is spot on. First you'd have to see which pens were correctly given and which weren't. Main reason why I don't like it when people complain when teams get loads of pens. It all depends on if they were the correct calls or not.

Have you 2 been living under a rock? If you have been watching Madrid in recent years you would see how the refs favour them, this isn't some made up fantasy, its been happening in front of us for decades.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Have you 2 been living under a rock? If you have been watching Madrid in recent years you would see how the refs favour them, this isn't some made up fantasy, its been happening in front of us for decades.

I am not denying anything of that. Read all my posts in this topic.

pacp_96

Chief Of Footballing Matters

Quite clearly that's not what we're arguing :lol:

Everyone can see that Madrid are favoured by the refs but merely saying that is the case based on the amount of penalties given is stupid :lol:

Kerrybai

Quite clearly that's not what we're arguing :lol:

Everyone can see that Madrid are favoured by the refs but merely saying that is the case based on the amount of penalties given is stupid :lol:

But the evidence is clear that a lot of them are BS penalties, the same goes for free kicks and other decisions. Just take a look at there last league campaign.

Horatio

You're welcome

If Kerrybai, one of the posters that comes across the least biased, says it it must be true lol.

Home of Barca Fans