New La Liga TV deal

Ubermensch

Found this.

Finally the centralized model is taking effect. Wonder how much each team will earn in the next few seasons. Any projection or conjecture? Is it enough to fend off a talent exodus to the Premier League?

Mitchell1978

Looks like a big improvement and it will make La Liga the 2e richest league in the world.
The amount that Barca and Real receive will probably not change much but other teams will get more which should improve the quality of the league even more.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
It's still shocking that Epl earns more than La Liga.
Tells you a lot about power of media and marketing and football is just a small piece there. Just imagine what we are all served daily via propaganda guised as news.

khaled_a_d

It's still shocking that Epl earns more than La Liga.
Tells you a lot about power of media and marketing and football is just a small piece there. Just imagine what we are all served daily via propaganda guised as news.

1-They are much better running their business ,Spain are better in football aspect though
2-England are way richer country than Spain as far as I know ,that plays huge role in that TV deal .there are richer people who would pay more to watch the games than that of Spain

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
You make valid points but marketing in Asia and US is what brought them large chunk of that money.

JamDav1982

People in the UK are used to paying for subscription tv. It is accepted that people will play close to £100 a month for their sports packages mainly based on football.

From what I have read there is nowhere near the appetite to pay the same fees in Spain and they wont accept paying so much to watch it.

It is not that people are fed the line of 'best league in the world' and blindly cough up to watch it. Most people are very clued up and know about the other leagues.

In my opinion La Liga has the best teams going for the title but the EPL has the best league below that and provides more dramatic games as less of a gap.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
You make valid points but marketing in Asia and US is what brought them large chunk of that money.

Premier League have marketed their brand in Asia and the US for a very long time now while La Liga recently started to do the same, at least aggressively.

Talking about the business aspect of things then they are far ahead, but LFP are trying to close the gap now. Hopefully they'll do so successfully.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
People in the UK are used to paying for subscription tv. It is accepted that people will play close to £100 a month for their sports packages mainly based on football.

From what I have read there is nowhere near the appetite to pay the same fees in Spain and they wont accept paying so much to watch it.

It is not that people are fed the line of 'best league in the world' and blindly cough up to watch it. Most people are very clued up and know about the other leagues.

In my opinion La Liga has the best teams going for the title but the EPL has the best league below that and provides more dramatic games as less of a gap.

You are making some semi- relevant valid claim (as per usual) but sadly nowhere near explaining the bottom line. Asia and US are basically reason why epl earns so much and you know it.

Noone gives a fuck about bottom half quality or lack of.

JamDav1982

You are making some semi- relevant valid claim (as per usual) but sadly nowhere near explaining the bottom line. Asia and US are basically reason why epl earns so much and you know it.

Noone gives a fuck about bottom half quality or lack of.

You are wrong.

The EPL makes more from its domestic tv deal that the likes of La Liga makes from its domestic and overseas contracts combined. It is a huge reason for the gap along with over seas deals which are more than 'Asia and USA' anyway.

My claim about domestic deals is more relevant than your sweeping 'basically Asia and USA' statement.

khaled_a_d

I hate to say that but actually Jam is right this time .the Domestic deal is making huge difference
As for Asia and USA ,well that is what I mean by the business side

IMO I totally disagree with that statement ,that said this is the popular claim that most fans believe,it is the general consequence I dare to say."La Liga is just 2 clubs while EPL has 7 top clubs" is something many EPL fans believe
They were able to build that reputation of that and whether they are right or wrong they are actually able to make many buy in it.

JamDav1982

I hate to say that but actually Jam is right this time .the Domestic deal is making huge difference
As for Asia and USA ,well that is what I mean by the business side

IMO I totally disagree with that statement ,that said this is the popular claim that most fans believe,it is the general consequence I dare to say."La Liga is just 2 clubs while EPL has 7 top clubs" is something many EPL fans believe
They were able to build a reputation of that and whether they are right or wrong they are actually able to make many buy in it.

People over here dont claim that the EPL has seven top teams though. People openly admit that Real, Barca and Bayern are far ahead of what EPL has to offer.

Pundits etc say all the time that the top teams are lacking and so do the fans.

People paying for subscriptions is not based on belief of it being the best league in the world in terms of quality. These tv contracts have gone up massively in past few years even when blatantly obvious it cant be called the best league based on top teams.

It is a culture here that people are more than willing to pay big money for what they see as an exciting league with some of the worlds top players.

The EPL was huge in Asia in the 1990s even when ranked 6/7th best in europe. It is not based on some lie about it being the best league in the world. It is about marketing and a long history of showing English games for decades.

The fact the people think La Liga having two of the top three teams in the world should make it the most popular just shows the problem and lack of understanding why it isnt.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
1-They are much better running their business ,Spain are better in football aspect though
2-England are way richer country than Spain as far as I know ,that plays huge role in that TV deal .there are richer people who would pay more to watch the games than that of Spain

Plus the EPL is more competitive and therefore draws more people. Unlike Ligue 1 and Bundesliga where everybody already knows who the champions will be before the start of a season, nobody can predict who will win the EPL. With La Liga it is us 45%, Real Madrid 45% and Atletico 10%.

Also the role of English the language should not be underestimated. It is much easier to expand to foreign markets with English being your tool while few people speak Spanish outside Spain and the Americas.

khaled_a_d

Plus the EPL is more competitive and therefore draws more people. Unlike Ligue 1 and Bundesliga where everybody already knows who the champions will be before the start of a season, nobody can predict who will win the EPL. With La Liga it is us 45%, Real Madrid 45% and Atletico 10%.

Also the role of English the language should not be underestimated. It is much easier to expand to foreign markets with English being your tool while few people speak Spanish outside Spain and the Americas.

Hmmmm ,I cant really agree with this
Look How Manu dominated EPL during SAF era.13 league in span of 21 years .that 62% for one damn club .they didn't finish outside of top 3 during those 21 years IIRC . unless you suggest that EPL became what it is in the last 2 years I don't really buy that point
It was Manu vs Arsenal ,then Manu vs Chelsea .then Man City entered the race .
And outside of the title winner ,How many teams has made it to CL in the past few years? it seem only 5 clubs are rotating for it and Tottenham may be done it twice?!
Yeah the EPL seem more exciting in a season like this when Leicester City are the top and Chelsea near bottom ,but that so far is an exception to what usually happens

JamDav1982

Curiously, noone even mentions the most important thing: quality of football.

Its not the most important thing in relation to tv deals.

The EPL could fall to the 6/7th best in europe again and it would still have the biggest tv deals.

Even then if you take out Barca v Real you dont get a better quality of football than other leagues. Some of its the same some of its worse.

Home of Barca Fans